• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words. I have not tested the Fiio Q1 MK2 unfortunately so no feedback from me. Happy to test it if someone sends it to me. Or alternatively in a few weeks when my backlog is less full than it is now, I can purchase it to test.

dheepak10

I admit I was confused myself, some threads mentioned a 50 ohm load, some said just the jack extender was enough to fool the device.

Any cable, jack plugged in without a load, triggers the line-out mode. From what I have read, the LO mode puts out a constant 1Vrms power as opposed to the maximum of 2Vrms.

zandm7

@amirm I found this Amazon listing for a "Dilvpoetry Topping NX4"; do you have any idea if this is the same product (from a different distributor, maybe?) as the Topping NX4 that you reviewed? I ask because there is a separate Amazon listing for the Topping NX4 that ships from China (no Prime option) and this "Dilvpoetry" listing has Prime shipping.

ripvw

Forum Donor
I ordered a "Dilvpoetry" Topping D10 a few weeks ago from Amazon Prime - arrived safe and sound and on time - works just fine as a USB to S/PDIF and/or TOSlink converter

Amazon also sells a Dilvpoetry tube amp so they appear to be both a distributor and a manufacturer - or at least they put their name on something built for them by others. The Topping D10 I received looks identical to the one Amir has tested and only has the Topping name on the casework, came complete with a Topping catalog, manual and warranty in a Topping box

yue

your new measuring device seems to catch quite a lot of NX4 noise in the jitter test. do you mind perform the same test on DX7s and D50 again and see if they exist too? NX4 probably uses the same design as DX7s and D50, and your past measurement didn't catch those noise --- perhaps the precision was not good enough.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Well the MEZE 99 classics came in. They sound better than the DT-770s and dont need much power to drive them. Enough headphones for now though as the wife is starting to notice. Hard to hide them and there boxes. I have tried, trust me. She always finds them.

They can read minds.
lol.gif

Reactions: PSO

silent-assassin

Hi. Help me to choose between Dragonfly Black and Topping nx4 dsd

My headphone: ATH-M50X
Laptop: Asus K501
Phone: Moto G first gen

Thx.

carnevalle

Hi. Help me to choose between Dragonfly Black and Topping nx4 dsd

My headphone: ATH-M50X
Laptop: Asus K501
Phone: Moto G first gen

Thx.

I guess for the review that the NX4 DSD would sound better and also have more features than the Dragonfly (although it is a smaller unit)

carnevalle

Hi guys! Great, great review!

I am in a big doubt on Topping NX4 DSD versus iFi Nano iDSD Black Label.

The use will be with a Sen HD 600 and the idea is to use booth as a Portable Dac+Amp and in the near future also as a desktop Dac to use it with a tube amp.

Is the 40USD in the iFi worth it? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks and regards

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am in a big doubt on Topping NX4 DSD versus iFi Nano iDSD Black Label.
If you can afford the iFi Nano iDSD BL, by all means get that. Right now that is my favorite DAC+headphone amp given its massive power to drive anything.

zandm7

If you can afford the iFi Nano iDSD BL, by all means get that. Right now that is my favorite DAC+headphone amp given its massive power to drive anything.

Not the original guy who asked about this, but is a review of the Nano in the works? Just wondering, since you reviewed the Micro (which is a lot more expensive) recently.

I was considering buying a Topping NX4 for portable/office use, but given what you've said here I might have to pick up an iFi Nano instead!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not the original guy who asked about this, but is a review of the Nano in the works?
It is sitting in a box right now. :) Keep pushing me and I will review it. :) :)

dc655321

Major Contributor

Are you perhaps confusing the Nano with the Micro?
It is the latter that has "massive power"..
And, it's easy to confuse them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
hi. whats your opinion for my question?
thank you
Topping NX4 DSD would be my choice. As you see in the original review, it has substantially less noise and distortion than Dragonfly Black:

index.php

Papa253

really want to get this nice amp, dac but I'llbe using nx4 with two different headphones.
1. HD1 over ear

2. ATH- AD2000 X

By now you should see my problem, both of them are driven by under 50 ohms.
I've been looking at the, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...PRWCsL4zot3rutaFgLWlyPUcMRoCYlcQAvD_BwE&smp=y.

So my question is, will the above linked item work in cutting the power gain and work with the headphone 1, 2 usable?

I really want the NX4.

CAN I GET IT
PLEASE!

dc655321

Major Contributor
By now you should see my problem, both of them are driven by under 50 ohms.
I've been looking at the, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...PRWCsL4zot3rutaFgLWlyPUcMRoCYlcQAvD_BwE&smp=y.

So my question is, will the above linked item work in cutting the power gain and work with the headphone 1, 2 usable?

Why do you think you need that gizmo?

The HD1 is 18Ohm, 113dB/V and the AT is 40Ohm at 103dB/mW.
Keep the NX4 at low gain and be judicious with the volume knob...

HerbDetective

Why do you think you need that gizmo?

The HD1 is 18Ohm, 113dB/V and the AT is 40Ohm at 103dB/mW.
Keep the NX4 at low gain and be judicious with the volume knob...
I'm curious about the usage of the NX4 with high sensitivity low impedance devices too. Will you run into the channel imbalance issue that's shown in the measurements taken by amirm?

Top Bottom