• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

zandm7

It is sitting in a box right now. :) Keep pushing me and I will review it. :):)
Funny story actually: my iFi Nano Black Label came in just today (I decided to buy one to use at work and as a general portable unit). Currently have it hooked up to my phone and it sounds great! Hopefully there won't be anything wrong with it when you get around to reviewing it ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Funny story actually: my iFi Nano Black Label came in just today (I decided to buy one to use at work and as a general portable unit). Currently have it hooked up to my phone and it sounds great! Hopefully there won't be anything wrong with it when you get around to reviewing it ;)
I hear you. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one for 2 weeks. The main headphone jack was so loose the plug would fall out, so I sent it back.

Thinking of picking one of these up for mobile use with my iPhone and/or Macbook Pro. It looks like the previous generation of the NX4 came with a lightning to micro USB cable, but I don't think this NX4 dsd comes with the cable, correct? I like that the low output impedence will work will with my IEMs (Earsonics Velvets). Does this have enough juice to power my HD650s?

HerbDetective

Just got my Topping NX4 DSD DAC today, and was quite excited to try it. Gave it a quick listen and it sounded good to my ears. Decided to do some very basic comparisons using RMAA between this and my previous DAC, the Hifime U2 Async USB DAC using the ES9018 chip.

NX4 settings:
- Windows volume 80%
- NX4 on low gain, bass boost off, volume knob at 90%
U2 settings:
- Windows volume 80%

The frequency response graph made me a bit concerned:
fr.png

In Amir's test results, the dip in the low frequencies is present. What I didn't expect were the variations towards the higher frequencies. The results from my U2 DAC show that my sound card's line-in input is capable of recording a fairly flat frequency response. So what gives?

Now I know that using RMAA to evaluate the quality of a DAC has many shortcomings. I'm aware of NwAvGuy's article. However, I thought that using the same software, same audio cable, and same USB hub would allow for a fair comparison between two DACs, at least in the frequency domain.

Am I missing something here? Is there something wrong with my methodology, or even with my DAC?

Guermantes

The frequency response graph made me a bit concerned:
View attachment 14742

In Amir's test results, the dip in the low frequencies is present. What I didn't expect were the variations towards the higher frequencies. The results from my U2 DAC show that my sound card's line-in input is capable of recording a fairly flat frequency response. So what gives?

Now I know that using RMAA to evaluate the quality of a DAC has many shortcomings. I'm aware of NwAvGuy's article. However, I thought that using the same software, same audio cable, and same USB hub would allow for a fair comparison between two DACs, at least in the frequency domain.

Am I missing something here? Is there something wrong with my methodology, or even with my DAC?

Could be ripple caused by the reconstruction filter. Is there any way to change the filter settings in the NX4 as in the D50?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is an artifact of swept log frequency response test. Is that what you used in RMAA or its multi-tone?

HerbDetective

Could be ripple caused by the reconstruction filter. Is there any way to change the filter settings in the NX4 as in the D50?
There doesn't seem to be user-friendly way to change this without opening up the device, which I'm not inclined to do.

HerbDetective

This is an artifact of swept log frequency response test. Is that what you used in RMAA or its multi-tone?
The response graph in my earlier post was the multi-tone test.

This is the sweep frequency response graph:
FR Sine Sweep Comparison.PNG

mejobloggs

Do you think Topping NX4 would be suitable for desktop-only use with AKG K612 Pro headphones?

I'll never use it for mobile, and would essentially have it "charging" all the time.

How does it compare to Fiio E10k?

Are there any other good budget headphone amp/dacs? E10k and NX4 are the only ones I've discovered so far

Last edited:
I purchased and received my late last week. Three things I noticed:

1) The volume control on my unit is very rough. It rubs against the metal chassis when adjusting the volume.
2) The supplied USB-C to mini USB cable did not work.
3) There is nothing really on the case to keep it from scratching. There is a mat that comes with the unit, but I think it's intended to sit between the unit an a phone. I sort of wish there was some small feet on it. I can easily add them.

I'm not sure I love the dual USB inputs for charging and DAC functions. For desk use, it's a bother to need to run two cables, and I don't like the idea of draining the battery every day while I listen.

Other than that I agree with the measurements and sentiments of the review. It's an excellent unit. I am going to exchange mine for another in hopes of a better volume knob and functioning set of cables.

I tried that with no luck. It's pretty locked on there. I pulled hard enough to make me uncomfortable, it may be glued on, or just really stuck on there.

Happy to report that the replacement unit's volume knob is much better. No rubbing or sticking. Really a great amp and dac and a nice match for my my IEMs and HD650s.

HerbDetective

Today, when I powered on my NX4 DSD, a Windows notification popped up: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." Does this mean that my device is dead? Any troubleshooting tips?

1535516959301.png

HerbDetective

I get those kind of errors occasionally. Reboot your computer and see if it is still there.
It's still there after a reboot, on a separate windows 10 computer, and my Android phone doesn't detect the DAC now either when it was working before.

Top Bottom