• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review on RCF ND850 2" Compression Driver

jamescarter1982

so did you remove the rear chamber then measure from the same side of the driver or spin the driver round and use it as a titanium dome midrange ? if not would it be possible to do this ? would making a larger rear chamber with more absorbant material help keep the distortion nice and low like this .

sunandmoon

Very interesting, and very low distortion. Where are you thinking of crossing to the woofer? 400Hz?

OP
J

Joseph Crowe

so did you remove the rear chamber then measure from the same side of the driver or spin the driver round and use it as a titanium dome midrange ? if not would it be possible to do this ? would making a larger rear chamber with more absorbant material help keep the distortion nice and low like this .
All measurements were done at the front side of the horn. I've done a number of rear chambers and I typically vent them if they are not inside a bass enclosure. The rear cover could be completely open and only serve as a protective guard for the diaphragm. The output from the rear of the driver is typically -9dB down but I do find that it is a welcome addition providing a little bit of spaciousness to the rear and side wall reflections. These reflections arrive so late to the listening chair that there is no harm to clarity. This is specifically for home audio, certainly not for professional sound applications.

sunandmoon

All measurements were done at the front side of the horn. I've done a number of rear chambers and I typically vent them if they are not inside a bass enclosure. The rear cover could be completely open and only serve as a protective guard for the diaphragm. The output from the rear of the driver is typically -9dB down but I do find that it is a welcome addition providing a little bit of spaciousness to the rear and side wall reflections. These reflections arrive so late to the listening chair that there is no harm to clarity. This is specifically for home audio, certainly not for professional sound applications.
Yeah, I was curious if having the rear cover removed and giving it a much larger volume would allow for the lower distortion of the open back - the welcome addition providing a little bit of spaciousness - also makes sense. Very cool.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, not bad, in terms of THD and IMD it competes with Purifi mids, even. I would wonder how easy it is to integrate a super-tweeter with a horn in terms of directivity though?

Top Bottom