• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016: Bricasti Design Ltd, Tidal Speakers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A6940.jpg

093A6942.jpg
093A6945.jpg
093A6944.jpg
093A6946.jpg
093A6941.jpg
093A6947.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My grandma always told me to take Bricasti when I'd get agita from the sausage and peppers. :confused:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Though very far from being alone in the game, seriously what on earth can a amplifier that large (and only rated at 200wpc) possibly bring to the audio plate?
For sure they say to visitors of a listening room that the owner spent a LOT of money but come-on, this shit is totally out of control. :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
what on earth can a amplifier that large possibly bring to the audio plate?

Hmm...

Mostly lots of heatsink and a big honking transformer would be my guess.

upload_2016-10-11_21-15-37.png

Mine are the little ones here:

upload_2016-10-11_21-23-18.png

upload_2016-10-11_21-23-49.png

Not too far off. I just measured, I get 18" deep including the stuff that sticks out the back. They are shorter, and don't weigh as much, so I lose. Oh wait, they didn't cost nearly as much, so, maybe I win. Higher rated power here (that I don't use), too, but since the Bricasti "doubles down" I will assume it exceeds its 8 ohm rating. (I just looked, not by as much as I might have expected. oh well.)

Come on over, bring your plate, and see what gets put on it.

My sticker on the transformers fell off, so they don't have that gaudy addition to the interior:

upload_2016-10-11_21-34-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-11_21-17-27.png
    upload_2016-10-11_21-17-27.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 159
  • upload_2016-10-11_21-22-42.png
    upload_2016-10-11_21-22-42.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Without having heard any of today's contenders it wouldn't be fair for me to make any judgments, I only know what I read. LOL But in the case of the M28 unless I'm misinformed it is not a pure Class A design like your Krell's Ray, but closer a A/B, so is there a real need for all that heatsink area for dissipation.
Beyond that, on one hand in ultra-audiohiledome we have a contingent using these high rise building amps with claims of them being the true path to nirvana.
On the other hand we have a very large contingent talking up the latest amp techs with things like the Hypex module amps, the new Benchmark ABH2, PS Audio BHK 250, Bel Canto REF600's, etc, etc, etc. Most of those being easily carried with one hand. That side of the isle all claiming to taken amp design beyond the behemoths of yesteryear to new SOTA SQ heights?
We won't even being to include valve designs. ;)
But true be told, besides the huge advances in efficiency design, how far has amp SQ design really moved in the last 25+ years? And in that SQ advancement how far apart can all the latest designs be?
Aren't the monster Class A's going the way of the dinosaur?

Come on over, bring your plate, and see what gets put on it.
Be careful what you say Ray, I just may take you up on that offer and look for a Acourate DRC tutorial while I'm there too boot. :eek:

fas42

Major Contributor
The smart thing about that amplifier design is the shape of the heatsinks - that will transfer heat to the air far more effectively than the typical arrangement, it's using a 'chimney' effect to improve the flow of air. Meaning, higher bias without cooking the electronics as much if insides are also intelligently laid out - sometimes, design can be on your side, ;).

I used a similar principle in a DIY amp some time ago - no prob's normally running flat chat ...

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
aha, but there is a contingent that knows what high efficiency speakers and low power ultra linear amps are all about. You can have high power amps and low efficiency speakers or low power amps with high efficiency speakers...with more folks using headphones these days I expect the future of speaker sound will be high efficiency speakers and low power amps...that's where I am planning on going...someday.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
VTLsystem.jpg
aha, but there is a contingent that knows what high efficiency speakers and low power ultra linear amps are all about. You can have high power amps and low efficiency speakers or low power amps with high efficiency speakers...with more folks using headphones these days I expect the future of speaker sound will be high efficiency speakers and low power amps...that's where I am planning on going...someday.
Ya mean like my VTL Compact monoblocks driving LaScala's?

Top Bottom