• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME Babyface Pro FS Portable Interface Review

ollv

Babyface Pro FS is an amazing interface, this is a recent picture of Babyface Pro FS PCB with DAC/ADC, FPGA and Headphone Amp OPA1688.

BabyfaceProFS_PCB.jpg

ollv

Interface noise level in DigiCheck NG - Babyface Pro FS - AN1/2 and Instr. 3/4 with "Gain" at 0.0 dB.

NoiseLevelBFPFS.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12642

If it is and they make a new one, can they make it so it doesn't cost $300 more in the u.s. I had to order mine from thomann to avoid the insane u.s. price.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As usual with rumours - forget them. The Babyface Pro FS is our best selling interface, we won't let it down. But when you can't get chips* quick enough to meet the demand then a shortage is just that. They will be available again.

* not the fried yummy ones

Music1969

Major Contributor
As usual with rumours - forget them. The Babyface Pro FS is our best selling interface, we won't let it down. But when you can't get chips* quick enough to meet the demand then a shortage is just that. They will be available again.

Thank! It's nice to be able to quickly dispel such rumours.

Earfonia

Glad to hear that! Been using it for various applications from recording to measurement, it never failed! Also rock stable driver and interface.
If there is going to be new version of it, probably RME R&D team can consider to broaden its applications for some simple measurement applications. For example ICP / CCLD (Constant Current Line Drive) mode on the XLR inputs, so we can connect CCLD based measurement mics directly to the XLR inputs. So there is a buttons on the interface to choose between 48V phantom power or CCLD mode.

And to have 2x USB Type C ports on it to cascade to other USB interface or microphone to the Babyface Pro FS would be a very nice feature. Laptops these days only equipped with a few USB ports. Often not enough to connect multiple devices. And sometime we don't have USB hub in the bag.

Thanks!

Last edited:

fskl_my

I’m looking at purchasing a BF pro fs for studio mixing/mastering work over the Adi-2 dac fs. Is there a big difference in the sound quality between the two models ? How does the BF pro fs’s headphone amps compared to the Adi-2 dac fs?

thanks for your time .

fskl_my

I have both and hear no difference. It’s really more a matter of which feature set matches your needs.
Thanks for the quick reply .

was wondering about the sound quality also .
the crossfeed section of the adi-2 dac fs would be nice but I’m also currently using Goodhertz’s Canopeners, which seems to be doing the job really well. Not forgetting that the BF Pro can be mobile .

Is it ok to run it bus powered without affecting the performance of the unit ?

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply .

was wondering about the sound quality also .
the crossfeed section of the adi-2 dac fs would be nice but I’m also currently using Goodhertz’s Canopeners, which seems to be doing the job really well. Not forgetting that the BF Pro can be mobile .

Is it ok to run it bus powered without affecting the performance of the unit ?
Running bus powered has no effect on sound quality.

The ADI-2 DAC offers a ton of features such as crossfeed, PEQ, etc, which are very nice, but of course it’s a DAC, not an interface. The two aren’t designed for the same use case. If you need an interface, then the Babyface or the ADI-2 Pro are what you want. If all you need is a DAC, the ADI-2 DAC is the better choice.

fskl_my

Running bus powered has no effect on sound quality.

The ADI-2 DAC offers a ton of features such as crossfeed, PEQ, etc, which are very nice, but of course it’s a DAC, not an interface. The two aren’t designed for the same use case. If you need an interface, then the Babyface or the ADI-2 Pro are what you want. If all you need is a DAC, the ADI-2 DAC is the better choice.
Gotcha !

Monstieur

If you need a mixture of I/O for microphones, instruments, headphones, and SPDIF, I would choose the new Fireface UCX II over the Babyface Pro FS. The headphone amp on my Babyface Pro FS is too weak for most of my headphones and starts clipping. I also ran out of I/O ports on my Babyface Pro FS and have now preordered the UCX II. The 1 ohm 250 mW headphone output on the UCX II is enough for most headphones. If not, you can daisy chain it with a cheap dedicated headphone amp (or the ADI-2 DAC FS if you need all those features). The inputs on the ADI-2 PRO FS are limited compared to the UCX II.

fskl_my

If you need a mixture of I/O for microphones, instruments, headphones, and SPDIF, I would choose the new Fireface UCX II over the Babyface Pro FS. The headphone amp on my Babyface Pro FS is too weak for most of my headphones and starts clipping. I also ran out of I/O ports on my Babyface Pro FS and have now preordered the UCX II. The 1 ohm 250 mW headphone output on the UCX II is enough for most headphones. If not, you can daisy chain it with a cheap dedicated headphone amp (or the ADI-2 DAC FS if you need all those features). The inputs on the ADI-2 PRO FS are limited compared to the UCX II.
I only mix & master /listen to music 98% of the time . The BF PRO FS can’t power the HD6XX?

Monstieur

I only mix & master /listen to music 98% of the time . The BF PRO FS can’t power the HD6XX?
Those headphones should be fine on the Babyface Pro FS. If you apply a low shelf / bass boost it might clip at loud volumes. You'd already be spending close to $1000 on the Babyface Pro FS. At that point I'd just get the UCX II for $1500, it's a superior interface with more inputs & outputs and a more powerful headphone amp.

On my Babyface Pro FS, I cannot connect a stereo Aux In, microphone, and a passive guitar at the same time - it doesn't have enough ports as the both instrument inputs are used for stereo Aux In. I had to buy an external DI box and use the microphone input for the guitar. The UCX II has enough ports, and supports more DSP filters which can be used as a noise gate for the microphone.

If you don't need inputs at all, get the ADI-2 DAC FS as it's the best headphone amp. You will be fine even with a $100 headphone amp if you don't need all the DSP features.

fskl_my

Those headphones should be fine on the Babyface Pro FS. If you apply a low shelf / bass boost it might clip at loud volumes. You'd already be spending close to $1000 on the Babyface Pro FS. At that point I'd just get the UCX II for $1500, it's a superior interface with more inputs & outputs and a more powerful headphone amp. On my Babyface Pro FS, I cannot connect a stereo Aux In, microphone, and a passive guitar at the same time - it doesn't have enough ports as the instrument inputs are both used for Aux In. I had to buy an external DI box and use the microphone input for the guitar.
Totally get where your coming from . Thanks for your tips

Top Bottom