• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roku for Airplay Audio Streamer

dguillor

Forum Donor
I have a Roku Express connected to a TV via HDMI, and the TV is connected to a minidsp Flex 8 in my audio system via SPDIF. I can listen to the audio from a TV show or I can connect my iPhone to the Roku via Airplay and listen to Apple Music. It seems like this is a very inexpensive Airplay music streamer, free if you want to use the Roku for video streaming. Is there a problem with the fidelity that I am missing? Thanks for your time.

benanders

I can connect my iPhone to the Roku [Express] via Airplay and listen to Apple Music. It seems like this is a very inexpensive Airplay music streamer, free if you want to use the Roku for video streaming. Is there a problem with the fidelity that I am missing? Thanks for your time.

Knowing at least half a dozen people who’d value this spec (if they don’t already know about it), I’m thinking most interested parties won’t care if there’s a slight compromise in fidelity for the convenience factor. Technically, can’t Apple Airplay be a compromise in fidelity?
I hadn’t looked at Roku “players” in nearly ten years until last summer (gift purchase while back in the States). Amazing how cheap and tiny they are now, practically an Apple dongle!

Thank you for sharing this, hopefully others in-the-know re: the device’s audio features will reply.
Never ceases to please, the accidental tidbits we can all pick up here. Thanks again, @dguillor !

OP
D

dguillor

Forum Donor
Knowing at least half a dozen people who’d value this spec (if they don’t already know about it), I’m thinking most interested parties won’t care if there’s a slight compromise in fidelity for the convenience factor. Technically, can’t Apple Airplay be a compromise in fidelity?
I hadn’t looked at Roku “players” in nearly ten years until last summer (gift purchase while back in the States). Amazing how cheap and tiny they are now, practically an Apple dongle!

Thank you for sharing this, hopefully others in-the-know re: the device’s audio features will reply.
Never ceases to please, the accidental tidbits we can all pick up here. Thanks again, @dguillor !
I believe that Airplay is CD quality, which they say is as good as almost everyone can hear.

benanders

I believe that Airplay is CD quality, which they say is as good as almost everyone can hear.

Absolutely don’t have reason to argue that. But, “technically” ( ;) ), if downsampling occurs, it’s a reduction of fidelity to the original file.
Or, maybe (technically) not? Digital experts?

Top Bottom