• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

s.m.s.l. PL200 player - how is it turned OFF?

Belgik

Some would state the obvious: push the red button on the remote control, or long push button no. 8 for about 2 seconds.

As per actual fact, and per the "User Manual", "the machine will stop playing and turn off MOST of the power".

Why would that be? Why not all?
Is that, for any reason, useful?

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
'Most' basically means 'Standby' I think, only the wording/translation is a bit janky.

OP
Belgik

Belgik

Because otherwise when you press the red button again, it won't turn on.
Er...thank you...but I don't grasp the true nature of your reply.
It's not uncommon for electronics to be "on standby", usually indicated by a little red light and, visibly, not much more. In the case of a TV modem, it avoids having the software perform a reset. For a 1991 Onkyo amp, I wonder why... Basically, I like "On" and "Off".

MCH

Major Contributor
Er...thank you...but I don't grasp the true nature of your reply.
It's not uncommon for electronics to be "on standby", usually indicated by a little red light and, visibly, not much more. In the case of a TV modem, it avoids having the software perform a reset. For a 1991 Onkyo amp, I wonder why... Basically, I like "On" and "Off".
Hi @Belgik my replay means to say exactly what it says. No matter how simple a device is, if it can be turned on with a remote control, standby means as well that it needs at a minimum a microcontroller powered up so that it receives the signal of the remote and triggers the on sequence. Why do I know or care about this? Because I ran into this exact "issue" when I built my DIY audio system some time ago.
If it is a device with WiFi capability, it gets more complex.
No double meanings nor bad intentions meant, sorry if somehow it sounds like it, English is not my first language.

OP
Belgik

Belgik

No issues, language is a complex matter, and I guess we're living in times where a simple statement is oft just as difficult as turning electronics on or off. Unfortunately. And, whilst I appear to be getting more dumb day by day, as old men might appear, it isn't true. We need to be thankful for what has been given, even when newfangled electronic devices are being used to reproduce ancient sounds. But I appreciate exchanging!

Top Bottom