• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Screaming bargain in a DSD capable DAC?

rebbi

Hi, Folks,
First post here!:)
I am looking for a DSD capable DAC for my home audio rig (meaning that it need not be tiny, portable or self-powered). What would you consider a great bargain (or at least a great value) in today's market?
Thanks in advance.

Alereon

Forum Donor
Check out the Topping D10 reviewed here (<$100), which supports up to DSD128, but is USB only. If you need SPDIF and/or Coax input check out the Topping D30 reviewed here ($120), it also has an attractive silvery metal case. If you're looking for something a bit higher-end, check out the Topping D50 reviewed here ($250), which supports up to DSD512. I have the D30 and am very happy with it.

Dilliw

Actually in my home system I use a tiny, USB powered DAC. Given I have a pre-amp the only thing I need the DAC do is make the digital conversion and I don't need any bells and whistles outside of async USB, ASIO support, and file support for 32bit and DSD files.

Do you need volume control? Do you have multiple inputs? If not then a tiny self powered DAC might be the simplest solution.

OP
R

rebbi

Thank you both for these thoughts!
My system is currently in transition. I bought a Nuprime IDA-16, a "Swiss army knife" component with a Class D power amp, built in preamp and built in DAC that does DSD. After tons of break in it still sounds like "a stereo system" and not music (to me) and so I'm looking at a more "conventional" solid state amp. Had my heart set on moving to an integrated amp to eliminate interconnect cables, power switches and system matching complications, but now I'm back to looking at a stereo power amp along with a preamp and DAC. My current DAC (a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC) is pretty ancient in DAC terms and doesn't do the DSD files that I've acquired for use with my iBasso DAP, so I'm looking for a stand alone DAC that'll fit into my total system budget.
Never thought of the Topping line but now I'd certainly consider it.
Again, thanks a lot for the ideas! :cool:

OP
R

rebbi

I’m thinking I may spring for the D50. At the price it’s so much cheaper than most “audiophile” DACs that I almost have to try it. ;)

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m thinking I may spring for the D50. At the price it’s so much cheaper than most “audiophile” DACs that I almost have to try it. ;)
I thought the word bargain was involved LOL. D10 is 1/3 the cost, and according to measurements rates right on up there. On subjective measure , enjoying mine a lot.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
"Bargain priced" like "good sound" is all relative terms.

If one is attuned to transistor radios for a lifetime, any rudimentary, modern home stereo system will blow that notion of good sound'out of the water.

Likewise, if one is attuned to US$2k audio components, anything that performs close ( or even exceeds it) at less than half that price ( which is still US$1k ) is a 'bargain'. ... :D

OP
R

rebbi

"Bargain priced" like "good sound" is all relative terms.

If one is attuned to transistor radios for a lifetime, any rudimentary, modern home stereo system will blow that notion of good sound'out of the water.

Likewise, if one is attuned to US$2k audio components, anything that performs close ( or even exceeds it) at less than half that price ( which is still US$1k ) is a 'bargain'. ... :D

Coming from the home stereo universe where “serious” DACs can run into quite a bit more, the Tooping D50 looks like a bargain, yes!

PuX

I bought Korg DSDAC100 for 135$ (much more expensive now).

it's made in Japan, seems to have no plastic parts and has a large volume knob, a rare thing these days.

and it supports native DSD (exceptionally rare).

the drivers are not very good, setup for DSD is pretty complicated. linux is not supported. also it's powered by USB only, which is not the best solution in my opinion.

the headphone amp is not very powerful, but still capable of driving 600Ohm headphones with the knob turned to about 70-80% - I suspect a good separate amp would be better.

I only listened with headphones so far - Sennheiser HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT880 - it seems to be quite analytical-sounding.

can't find any measurements online.

my ears tell me it's good but I have to listen to it much more to say if it's closer to the level of any cheap good DAC or closer to a reference-quality DAC. but the sound is noticeably different from AudioQuest DragonFly Red.

Starcraft

Dear friends,

For an audiolab and ma rx6 what dac would you recommend?

Topping D10/D30/D50/DX7
SMSL M8
XIANGSHENG DAC 01/05
Pro-ject Prebox S2

Any others to consider?

Many thanks.

Top Bottom