• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SE IN/BAL OUT vs BAL IN/BAL OUT (Topping A50/D50 III)

vogam

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well! I've got a question about my upcoming stack setup. I've gone ahead and ordered the A50 III + D50 III + Balanced TRS Cable, but after taking a closer look at the specs for BAL IN/BAL OUT, I'm starting to second-guess myself about not getting an RCA cable instead. I had this idea that for the best results with balanced output, the whole DAC-AMP chain should be balanced. I know the differences are probably inaudible, but I just want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth for balanced setup...
apos-audio-topping-headphone-amp-topping-a50-iii-desktop-headphone-amp-40019479462124_1200x1800.jpg
So, would any of you recommend ditching BAL IN/BAL OUT in favor of SE IN/BAL OUT to drive my Sennheiser HD 800S? Thanks a bunch in advance! And sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else - I couldn't find any info on it

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @vogam! Welcome to ASR.

Effectively, the only difference between D50->RCA->A50 and D50->TRS->A50 will be in loudness.

With the A50 set to the same gain and volume knob position, switching from RCA to TRS will boost volume by 50%.

OP
vogam

vogam

@staticV3 thank you for the quick reply!

So in theory (if I understood this correctly) I could still benefit from potentially getting a bit less distorsion from BAL IN/BAL OUT for just being able to run my amp in a low gain vs medium/high gain to get same volume from RCA DAC/AMP link

Top Bottom