• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Searching for a CD player and a tape deck

exai

Hi,

I have a Yamaha A-S701 as an amp and Focal Aria 906s as speakers (and a turntable). I'd like to add to my setup a CD player and a tape deck. I've read that devices that combine both in one are not really recommendable. Prove me the opposite if you happen to believe I'm wrong. The tape deck might be found on the second hand market as no new decent devices are being made today. I have already a small list with a few decks I'm hunting. But no idea about the CD player. I guess it doesn't matter a lot (= I won't hear a real difference between a cheap and a really expensive player). Again don't hesitate to tell me if you think I'm wrong.

So, based on my setup, which CD player would you recommend me? Budget is not a real deal. I just want to avoid the ultra high-end products which won't make any difference. Don't want either the cheapest device made of plastic which will stop to work after two years.

I've seen the Marantz CD6007 being recommended here and there. But aren't we already here in this case where it's a bit "overkill" (based on the real difference I'll hear - or won't hear - in comparison with cheaper players)?

Thanks

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
CD: For all in one, the current basic offering from Yamaha or Onkyo is fine, if you want to shoot a bit lower in cost than the Marantz. Or, get any DVD or CD deck to use as a transport that has optical out, and use a $100 - 150 current DAC with it. For example, I am using a nice looking Sony Deck as my transport into a JDS Atom+ DAC.

Cassette: Yes, a working and in good repair vintage deck is probably your best bet. The features you want and the price you want to pay will guide you. I love Nak decks, but the higher end ones do require more maintenance and fuss. The lower level ones are mainly single-side transports (no auto reverse, except for the more costly "flip the cassette" models (cool but finicky to repair). My daily driver inexpensive deck that checks all my buttons is a Marantz PMD-502; the downside is that, being part of their "professional" line, they have rack ears. But the real time counter, auto reverse and good recording features make it a pleasure to use and it's no muss, no fuss.

For good/decent deals on restored and well working decks, check out Tapeheads.net. it's a great place to learn more...a lot more...about the pros and cons of various models, and people are always selling some decks that have excellent cosmetics and are in good repair. A safer bet for decks than the auction sites.

Happy hunting!

radix

Major Contributor
Hi,

I have a Yamaha A-S701 as an amp and Focal Aria 906s as speakers (and a turntable). I'd like to add to my setup a CD player and a tape deck. I've read that devices that combine both in one are not really recommendable. Prove me the opposite if you happen to believe I'm wrong. The tape deck might be found on the second hand market as no new decent devices are being made today. I have already a small list with a few decks I'm hunting. But no idea about the CD player. I guess it doesn't matter a lot (= I won't hear a real difference between a cheap and a really expensive player). Again don't hesitate to tell me if you think I'm wrong.

So, based on my setup, which CD player would you recommend me? Budget is not a real deal. I just want to avoid the ultra high-end products which won't make any difference. Don't want either the cheapest device made of plastic which will stop to work after two years.

I've seen the Marantz CD6007 being recommended here and there. But aren't we already here in this case where it's a bit "overkill" (based on the real difference I'll hear - or won't hear - in comparison with cheaper players)?

Thanks

Would you want to use the "CD input" (RCA) or the "Digital In" (coax or optical)?

How important is appearance? Do you want to to coordinate with the Yahama looks? The Yamaha CD players would keep the same look as your integrated and likely use the same remote (which is important to me).

OP
E

exai

Thank you!

What would be the difference between using the RCA or the coax/optical?

Appearance of the device doesn't matter. If there's the option to choose between black and silver for a device I'll take the silver one (like my Yamaha amp) but the color won't make me buy a specific player just for that. Same for the remote.

I think I'd rather like to get a player than a combo with two devices (transport + DAC).

Thanks for the recommendations again.

Limopard

I would choose the Yamaha CD-S 303 as CD-Player. It seems well built and matches optically with the amp. Since CD drives and dac's are no rocket science I expect an absolutely transparent sound. Don't know if it handels pre-/de-emphasis correctly, if that's relevant for you. Pre-emphasised discs are quite rare.

For a tape deck there is hardly an other way than buying an used one. I always found the better Pioneer decks (with double capstan) nice. Spare parts could be a problem, though.

Robin L

Master Contributor
CD: For all in one, the current basic offering from Yamaha or Onkyo is fine, if you want to shoot a bit lower in cost than the Marantz. Or, get any DVD or CD deck to use as a transport that has optical out, and use a $100 - 150 current DAC with it. For example, I am using a nice looking Sony Deck as my transport into a JDS Atom+ DAC.

Cassette: Yes, a working and in good repair vintage deck is probably your best bet. The features you want and the price you want to pay will guide you. I love Nak decks, but the higher end ones do require more maintenance and fuss. The lower level ones are mainly single-side transports (no auto reverse, except for the more costly "flip the cassette" models (cool but finicky to repair). My daily driver inexpensive deck that checks all my buttons is a Marantz PMD-502; the downside is that, being part of their "professional" line, they have rack ears. But the real time counter, auto reverse and good recording features make it a pleasure to use and it's no muss, no fuss.

For good/decent deals on restored and well working decks, check out Tapeheads.net. it's a great place to learn more...a lot more...about the pros and cons of various models, and people are always selling some decks that have excellent cosmetics and are in good repair. A safer bet for decks than the auction sites.

Happy hunting!
I've got a cassette recorder, has two transports so tape to tape dubbing is possible, and about 200 cassettes, never use it. Don't really want to, as I have limited space for audio gear and don't like the sound of cassettes anyway. Note that cassette decks are old tech and repair is difficult as parts wear out that can't be replaced. I'm gonna guess you already have a fair number of cassettes. If not, it's not a good idea to invest in a cassette deck.

My CD player is a Sony Blu Ray player. It's a slightly older model, so it has analog and digital optical outs. Have it connected via optical out to a Topping E30 DAC and am very happy with both the sound and the ergonomics. Being as it's a Sony Blu Ray player, it also happens to be SACD capable. Oddly enough, single layer SACDs play through the Topping DAC. Being a Blu Ray player, it also can play DVD audio, though that would require a video monitor to navigate the menus. Good thing I only have a handful of DVD - A discs as the Sony player is not hooked up to a video monitor.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used Oppo blue ray players play all formats and have good DACs

pinger

Hi,

Thanks
I have the Marantz 6007. Very happy with it. Its very well built, has good ergos and looks good to me. As you say sound quality is basically not a consideration. I have the Marantz 6007 Amp as well so operating both from one remote is nice too

OP
E

exai

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll get the Yamaha CD-S303 in silver to match with my amp.

Top Bottom