• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking Advice: Preamp / WiFi Streamer for Genelec G3 Speakers with Seamless Input Transition

Ilop

Hello everyone,

I've decided to purchase a pair of Genelec G3 speakers. I want to connect them to my TV but also have the flexibility to use them for listening to music from my phone, either through WiFi or Bluetooth. That's why I'm looking for a preamp/wifi streamer and would appreciate some advice.

Here are the specifications I'm looking for:

Input:
  • Toslink digital
  • RCA
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
Output:
  • RCA or XLR
Additionally, I would be really satisfied if the device could seamlessly transition between inputs automatically, without needing to manually select the source each time (WiFi, Bluetooth, or RCA). For example, if I'm watching TV (connected via toslink digital input) and start playing a song on Spotify via WiFi to the streamer, the TV audio should pause to let the song play. When I stop the WiFi streaming, the TV audio should resume.

In summary, to avoid having to select the input manually, it should always use the most recent signal it receives.

Do you have any recommendations regarding this?
Thanks a lot.

linuxfan

Input:
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
Traditionally that would involve a bluetooth receiver, and something like an AirPlay receiver ... but why not just get a proper streamer which handles both roles - the WiiM Mini is your go-to device.

Then you just need to switch between the WiiM and your TV;
- you could do this at the analogue stage with a pre-amp, but there would be no auto-switching.
Volume control would be via the pre-amp (obviously).

- or you could do this at the digital stage with a S/PDIF switcher (all over eBay for $20 or so, includes auto-switching) then convert the final switched optical S/PDIF output to analogue with a DAC such as the Topping E30II lite, or SMSL Sanskrit 10th mk3.
Volume control would be via the DAC's remote control.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
…. or get a good AVR like the Denon Xx800 (eg X3800 reviewed here) series or former Xx700 series (used) and use their preouts.

All in one box and easy to set up:
Streamer,DAC,RoomEQ,AirPlay,BT,UPnP,HDMI eARC,Multichannel etc

linuxfan

Yes, an AVR would be a good option too, especially if you wish to go down the surround sound path.
If you're happy with stereo, though, be aware that the digital option I mentioned is 30 per cent of the price of the entry-level Denon AVR-X1800H.
It may also be worth Googling "HEOS versus WiiM"

OP
I

Ilop

I've read your responses and I thank you very much for the support!

I've researched the WiiM Pro and it has all the features I'm looking for:

The so-called Auto Sensing feature, which when activated allows audio to be automatically played among connected inputs when an incoming signal is detected. Additionally, it's possible to deactivate the equalizer to optimize the digital audio chain for neutral reproduction.

In addition to having a digital toslink input, to which I intend to connect the TV, this way I can use the TV remote to control the audio. However, when the audio is playing from other inputs (WiFi and Bluetooth), I'll control the audio directly from the device (smartphone) from which I'm sending the signal.

So, it seems that this device meets all my needs.

That being said, I'm not clear on why I would need an AVR or an S/PDIF switcher and a DAC?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Yes, an AVR would be a good option too, especially if you wish to go down the surround sound path.
If you're happy with stereo, though, be aware that the digital option I mentioned is 30 per cent of the price of the entry-level Denon AVR-X1800H.
It may also be worth Googling "HEOS versus WiiM"
…. Don’t use HEOS. Use UPnP - interfaces to Tidal, Quobuz, local NAS/Mediaserver. etc.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I've read your responses and I thank you very much for the support!

I've researched the WiiM Pro and it has all the features I'm looking for:

The so-called Auto Sensing feature, which when activated allows audio to be automatically played among connected inputs when an incoming signal is detected. Additionally, it's possible to deactivate the equalizer to optimize the digital audio chain for neutral reproduction.

In addition to having a digital toslink input, to which I intend to connect the TV, this way I can use the TV remote to control the audio. However, when the audio is playing from other inputs (WiFi and Bluetooth), I'll control the audio directly from the device (smartphone) from which I'm sending the signal.

So, it seems that this device meets all my needs.

That being said, I'm not clear on why I would need an AVR or an S/PDIF switcher and a DAC?
… good.

AVR: Just an option: Some people like the extension and multichannel option and everything in one box and one remote (especially if family is involved).

Wiim is a good choice.

linuxfan

I'm not clear on why I would need <snip> a S/PDIF switcher and a DAC?
Well yes, I see now that the WiiM Mini includes an AUXILIARY input, which you may use for the TV. So sure, you could use just the WiiM Mini.
If it was my setup, I would use the optical S/PDIF outputs of both the TV and WiiM, and switch between them using a S/PDIF switcher - this allows me to add another optical S/PDIF device in the future.

OP
I

Ilop

I think I'll proceed with the WiiM for now. I can't foresee any audio needs other than those listed at the moment. In the event that other needs arise I will certainly take your suggestions into consideration. Thanks again for the support.
I would like to take this opportunity to ask you which one to choose between the Wiim Pro and the WiiM Pro Plus?
The differences are minimal in my opinion.
I'll put up the link to their site:
at the end of this page there is a comparison table
while this page lists the differences between the two

Thank you

linuxfan

WiiM Mini - has a decent inbuilt DAC.
WiiM Pro - same as Mini, but adds Chromecast support (EDIT) and native LMS/Squeezelite support.
WiiM Pro Plus - same as Pro, but adds upgraded inbuilt DAC.

Whether you will actually hear the difference between the Mini/Pro versus Plus DAC is questionable and contentious.
Personally I would never buy the Plus - I would buy the Mini or Pro, depending on whether I decide I need Chromecast support, and possibly add an upgraded DAC as a separate device - not necessarily for audio quality. It just makes sense to keep your system components separate in the interests of flexibility (additional S/PDIF and USB inputs) and potential "future-proofing".

Last edited:
OP
I

Ilop

Very clear and straight to the point, thank you very much!

Top Bottom