• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

StandardModel

Forum Donor
Jim,

Sorry, not a troll. I have been a lurker for five years. My screen name is as a result of my admiration for Richard Feynman whom I considered to be the best physicist of the 20th century. As an engineer of long standing I was trained on scientific principles and statistical evidence. That's one reason why I agree with you that double blind testing is the gold standard.

Again, I have no wish to offend anyone.

I'm just pointing out once again that prejudgement of the equivalence of different samples without measurement of them is not very reliable. The underlying fallacy in your analogies is the implied condition that any given Dac being tested will measure no better than a $100 Dac in each case i.e., all Dacs over $100 dollars in cost will perform equivalently. From a statistical standpoint you can't say that for certain until you've measured all Dacs or at least all Dacs with the same components and software. Look, you may be right that they are all equivalent and that spending over $100 is a giant waste of money but until you've measured them all, you can't say that for certain i.e, a confidence level of 1.0.

No one, least of all me, is trying to contest scientific principles. I adhere to them rigorously. There is no scientific principle which states that you can measure some products in a marketplace and guarantee that there is nothing better now nor will there be anything better in the future. We often used to talk about the fact that the patent office was going to be shut down in the late 1890's because everything of importance had been invented. You write about fixed designs with tolerances being the only variable. What you are implying is that there is really only one design for a Dac and the only variable is component tolerances. I've spent years working on wavelets. That data sampling approach would make a fantastic Dac by focusing on sampling areas having the greatest rate of change in a given time period and wouldn't be limited by the current design approaches. Still, I'm open to being proven wrong. New and unforeseen designs and approaches do come along that upend prior knowledge all the time.
I think we've beaten this dead horse enough or as Mark Twain once said "There is little to be learned from the second kick of the mule." I had no idea that I would engender such controversy. This is my last post on the subject.

PS I was in high school as well when Sputnik was launched. As for nuclear reactors and water coolant, what about thorium based pebble reactors- no water coolant only graphite-moderated, gas coolant.
I love analogies, but admittedly many of mine are flawed. I am a little too enthusiastic about using them, and feel pressured to get them into a post quickly.

What can I say? I'm not perfect.

However, your analogy is equally flawed, if not more so.

The tools that we use are known scientific principles, proven by years of successful applications. In these cases, we can say that the water is always hot, as in the necessary restrictions on the design of nuclear power plants, or the requirements to successfully launch a rocket and its payload to the outer planets. Consistency has been exhibited, or some would say proven.
As in all things engineering, there are tolerances involved; nothing is absolutely perfect. But the tolerances are within such limits that the results ARE PREDICTABLE. Nuclear power plants have been built, all around the world, and if you ask the authorities whether they can predict what will happen if you do this or do that, they can tell you with accuracy. By the same token, rocket after rocket has been sent into orbit or beyond, and the predictability has become quite astonishing. (I was in school before Sputnik 1 achieved orbit, so to me all this latest use of rocketry is quite amazing.)

All this use of analogies is really beside the point. The real point is; do you trust science and logic that has been successfully proven, time and time again ... or not?

Jim

p.s. - I figured that there was a reason that you had adopted the username "Standard Model". After all, it successfully predicted the W and Z bosons.

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand how you feel.

Let's say I came upon a pot of hot water. I want to know how hot it is. I put in your finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my right put in their finger, and it was severely scalded. The person to my left did the same, and the result was the same.

Now our friend @StandardModel comes along, and wants to put his finger in the water to see how hot it is. Do we know in advance what will happen to him if he puts his finger in the hot water?

I believe that we do.

Jim

The question is if he would be honest about getting burned or if he would insist on how great the water made his finger feel.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
he second is accuracy of reproduction meaning the conversion has to be able to handle frequency transients very, very quickly. Neither of these are easy to do electrically. In theory it's easy you just have an infinite power supply and you can get completely vertical transients. In the real world, these things don't exist.
In the real world, your 81 and are lucky if your ears reach to 10 kHz. Transients are the least of your worries.

Also in the the real world, this $79 DAC has no issue with any transients whatsoever:
index.php

For these things, there is no need to spend $ 2700, never mind $ 10000 :facepalm:

If you think that the quality of a DAC is defined by its ability to generate a perfect square wave, you’re sorely mistaken.

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I vote troll. Anyone who has been reading the posts here who thinks paying $2,700 for a DAC makes sense or gives any possible benefit is either a troll or (can't say, I don't want to get banned because we have to be nice instead of too honest).

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

napfkuchen

It looks nice outside and inside, that's for sure.
You can argue about taste... The manufacturer has obviously tried to visually differentiate itself from the competition. I don't like the gold accents at all. But what bothers me even more is the lack of symmetry and the use of 3 feet.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
You can argue about taste... The manufacturer has obviously tried to visually differentiate itself from the competition. I don't like the gold accents at all. But what bothers me even more is the lack of symmetry and the use of 3 feet.
At least it's not another square black/silver box that is just boring AF.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have yet to get an answer when I ask if DAC's have improved since they were introduced in 1983?...also do all DAC chips sound the same?
It is the implementation of the whole which is important, expressed by the units measurements.
Keith

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have yet to get an answer when I ask if DAC's have improved since they were introduced in 1983?...also do all DAC chips sound the same?
Technically yes. In real world listening for most people, audible improvement is an edge case at best.

Audio electronics are not musical instruments, so good equipment should not have its own tone, like a piano or a guitar does. We want to hear the tone of the instrument on the recording, not that plus the 'sound' of the DAC or other electronics.

The standard question asked of audio electronics 'How does it sound?' is a bit daft if you look at it from that perspective.

I'd suggest it makes zero real-world difference what DAC chip is used provided the implementation is competent.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any truth to this ? Not that it would matter, there is no relevant content above 20kHz, but still?

Dunno. In one of the screenshots of the frequency response, one of the files had significanlty higher noise floor above 20kHz, but it was not possible to see the scale.

He did seem to answer all the questions we'd normally ask about controls, and we know that filters can impact FR at 20kHz and above.

If your hearing extends up or beyond that level then perhaps it is audible - and if his test has been correctly carried out as described, he has proven that he can hear it.

However his video contradicts his clickbait title.

1 : Even under the test conditions the result doesn't matter.

2 : He's not testing a difference between DACs, but between filters. It is often been pointed out that if you use a filter which impacts the FR in the audible range that this will be .... audible. In this case the filters are making changes in (his) audible range - which would not be the case for the vast majority of people. We normally (often unspoken) mean that DACs are indistinguishable when they are using similar performing filters. Most Dacs default filters are of similar performance.

So here he has two edge cases combined. One is a person whose hearing extends above the range of the vast majority of people. Second - he is comparing two filters - one of which is not used in the vast majority of DACS which creates a difference in his higher than normal frequency range.

I'm not sure it is a result that has any significant impact for the premise of this thread.
People that are so worried with content above 20kHz should not be using 44.1kHz files but only use 88.1kHz or higher files.
In those cases even a slow filter would not be audible detectable by Goldenears.

As a lot of content is 44.1kHz with who knows what type of anti-alias filter on the ADC side or downsampler used in the production phase, Goldenears should just use his 'ideal' upsampling filter in that case while audiophiles (usually over 40 y.o.) would not be bothered anyway.

Indeed ... spend most funds on quality transducers...
That said... there can be little correlation between price and performance of transducers.
I think it's good that he did the testing, it seems to be valid albeit I didn't delve into the detail of downloading and comparing his samples, but the controls he implemented seemed to be valid for an ABX test. Ultimately though as some of you say, this isn't important for almost everyone because very few can hear at 20kHz. I'm surprised he heard a difference even if he can hear test tones at 20kHz, because music normally wouldn't have significant content up there, and I'd think that even if GoldenSound can hear 20kHz I'd imagine his sensitivity of hearing up there is low, so you'd think differences between DAC's reconstruction filters would be audibly masked by the rest of the music content. But like he said it was only a very small difference and is not something that people need to chase in order to truly get better sound, so for all intents & purposes it doesn't matter what's going on up there and people needn't be concerned about the question of "do well measuring DACS sound different" because on a practical level the answer is still "no, and it doesn't matter", and it wouldn't really matter for the people that can still hear 20kHz, it's not a big difference to chase.

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jim,

Sorry, not a troll. I have been a lurker for five years. My screen name is as a result of my admiration for Richard Feynman whom I considered to be the best physicist of the 20th century. As an engineer of long standing I was trained on scientific principles and statistical evidence. That's one reason why I agree with you that double blind testing is the gold standard.

Again, I have no wish to offend anyone.

I'm just pointing out once again that prejudgement of the equivalence of different samples without measurement of them is not very reliable. The underlying fallacy in your analogies is the implied condition that any given Dac being tested will measure no better than a $100 Dac in each case i.e., all Dacs over $100 dollars in cost will perform equivalently. From a statistical standpoint you can't say that for certain until you've measured all Dacs or at least all Dacs with the same components and software. Look, you may be right that they are all equivalent and that spending over $100 is a giant waste of money but until you've measured them all, you can't say that for certain i.e, a confidence level of 1.0.

No one, least of all me, is trying to contest scientific principles. I adhere to them rigorously. There is no scientific principle which states that you can measure some products in a marketplace and guarantee that there is nothing better now nor will there be anything better in the future. We often used to talk about the fact that the patent office was going to be shut down in the late 1890's because everything of importance had been invented. You write about fixed designs with tolerances being the only variable. What you are implying is that there is really only one design for a Dac and the only variable is component tolerances. I've spent years working on wavelets. That data sampling approach would make a fantastic Dac by focusing on sampling areas having the greatest rate of change in a given time period and wouldn't be limited by the current design approaches. Still, I'm open to being proven wrong. New and unforeseen designs and approaches do come along that upend prior knowledge all the time.
I think we've beaten this dead horse enough or as Mark Twain once said "There is little to be learned from the second kick of the mule." I had no idea that I would engender such controversy. This is my last post on the subject.

PS I was in high school as well when Sputnik was launched. As for nuclear reactors and water coolant, what about thorium based pebble reactors- no water coolant only graphite-moderated, gas coolant.

Appreciate the detailed reply and civil tone, but I'm sorry, this is ridiculous: if you are familiar with and respect scientific principles then you know that a confidence level of 1.0 is not possible, aspired to, or necessary - and you also know that your own subjective, uncontrolled listening impressions offer a confidence level of either 0, 0.5, or undefined/invalid, depending on how you want to look at it.

What you're doing is what folks in this hobby - and many science deniers across a depressingly wide range of subjects far more important than this hobby - routinely do: artificially holding open a space for the allegedly "unknown" so that you can smuggle in your own improbable (and I would say implausible) unscientific impressions and claim that you're being scientific because "anything is possible."

To be clear, I'm not accusing you personally of being a science denier, or a troll for that matter. Honestly, I don't care what your intention is or what you think your intention is. I don't know you, and all I have to go on is the words you write here and the logic of the reasoning and arguments those words create. And that logic is nonexistent.

That's fine for enjoying a hobby and getting pleasure out of tinkering, personal exploration, and so on. It's not at all fine for making scientific and statistical claims, especially when you don the garb of being a scientist yourself. Richard Feynman would call your argument here quackery.

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
I don't know you, and all I have to go on is the words you write here and the logic of the reasoning and arguments those words create. And that logic is nonexistent.

Hear, hear!

Jim

[edited to remove content potentially seen as a personal attack.]

Last edited:

StandardModel

Forum Donor
I said I wouldn't post and I'm breaking my own declaration. Please review your posts and ask yourselves if those comments are personal attacks or are about the subject matter.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The underlying fallacy in your analogies is the implied condition that any given Dac being tested will measure no better than a $100 Dac in each case
I'm sorry, where was that stated (or even implied) again?

On the plus side, your faulty premise was right at the start of your post, which saved me from feeling the need to bother with the rest.

Last edited:

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
Sorry, not a troll. I have been a lurker for five years.

IF you have been a lurker here for 5 years, how could you possibly not understand the ethos and aims of this site? Yet you post a video chock-full of unscientific, unfounded and misleading subjectivist drivel. When members here have called you on it, you have doubled-down on your defense of the emotion-based, marketing-based, anti-scientific content.
You claim to be grounded in the sciences, yet you have misapplied scientific principles to defend your claims.
You have said that you are not a troll, yet you exhibit, time and time again, the very characteristics that identify someone as being a troll. Protestations of innocence are, after all, common devices employed by trolls.

Even though your tone is civil, it seems that you are employing a tactic known as "sealioning". People who employ this tactic hide behind the false wall of taking offense.

If your intentions are to game us, we are not amused.
If your intentions are to aggrandize yourself to the subjectivist crowd, please ... just don't. This site does not exist as a playground for subjectivists.

It would be best if you were to use your mental faculties for constructive purposes, not destructive purposes.

Jim

Last edited:

StandardModel

Forum Donor
I'm sorry, where was that stated (or even implied) again?

On the plus side, your faulty premise was right at the start of your post, which saved me from feeling the need to bother with the rest

No it doesn't.

This doesn't mean anything in French. Or somehow it does, in an incorrect way. I guess you would mean "À chacun son goût", or more "Chacun ses goûts", or perhaps "Chacun a son goût", that is not grammatically incorrect but sounds terrible... ;)
My mistake. You are clearly a true Parisian. Let me guess..16th or 17th?

ads_cft222

So many manufacturers produce equipment in vain … It almost seems like a conspiracy theory

Top Bottom