• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A8

Starcraft

Dear friends,
Has anyone head this dac/amp?

Class D amp with some power on paper and double ak 4490 dac chips. Also has a headphone amp.

Cost about em 600 euros.

It is really small.

I wounder if it handles big speakers...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
An all in one solution, but pricey for Chi-Fi.

Spaxton

Hello friends,

Well, I have a few words to say...
I was brave enough to buy this device. It cost me about 580 EUR including shipping plus import tax duty costs so, TCO is about 760 EUR. In my opinion, 760 EUR is nothing for a such device if it is fully working like they said but it has several design problems.

I will mention this time only one which bother my ears so much. So, if there is silence on the input (no matter which one, USB, SPDIF, coax optical...), this amplifier produces a high frequency sine and hising sound. It can be heard in normal position of listening (Not loud but audible and irritating. You cannot hear it unless You are audiophile and have some decent speakers). In the moment of switching between the headphones and speakers You can easily notice that something disappeared from Your ears and back again.

I was not lazy to contact SMSL manufacturer and complain about this after what I was even more disappointed when they started teaching me that I should listen music about 2m far from the speakers (probably because I told them once I closed my ear to the tweeter) and that their product has no mistakes. After few days of chatting they accepted to help but in order to do that I have to record the sound which was impossible to me cause I don't have such microphones to capture that frequency. Or even I should return it to them (unacceptable due to complicated temporary export and high shipping cost from me to them). Also, I found some comments on aliexpress saying the same words.

So, be careful before You decide to buy some pricey fancy device from China. Especially SMSL. I have tried many other chinese HIFI devices. Lots of them are good except this one which has the best marketing.

I hope so this helps all those who are thinking about to buy it.

Best Regards.

Last edited:

Spaxton

Hello again.

I forgot to say that beside this, the amplifier gives great sound. I tested all inputs except phono. It has enough power to drive (a lot more than that) my wharfedale speakers. I really like the product but the problem described in my previous post is driving me crazy.

Best Regards.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello again.

I forgot to say that beside this, the amplifier gives great sound. I tested all inputs except phono. It has enough power to drive (a lot more than that) my wharfedale speakers. I really like the product but the problem described in my previous post is driving me crazy.

Best Regards.

Sounds like tinnitus, except you can turn it off!!
That's a bummer...thanks for the info.

Spaxton

Sounds like tinnitus, except you can turn it off!!
That's a bummer...thanks for the info.

Not sure I understand what You are telling. The sound cannot be heard while playing. I have to say that many people will not pay attention to that but, unfortunately I do like an audiophile. Let's see if the manufacturer will replace the board.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not sure I understand what You are telling. Let's see if the manufacturer will replace the board.

Nothing that would help solve the problem.

Simply saying that those of us who have 'Tinnitus' hear a constant noise that never goes away. In my case, I have about a 10khz ringing or whine...which sounds similar to what you are hearing. In your case, you can turn it off at least. I wouldn't want an amp that had a 'tinnitus' issue...my own can be annoying enough.

Spaxton

Nothing that would help solve the problem.

Simply saying that those of us who have 'Tinnitus' hear a constant noise that never goes away. In my case, I have about a 10khz ringing or whine...which sounds similar to what you are hearing. In your case, you can turn it off at least. I wouldn't want an amp that had a 'tinnitus' issue...my own can be annoying enough.

Oh, I am sorry to hear You have that issue. However, I am trying to be honest but don't know how to explain the sound by typing. Let's say that audiophiles would notice it. Especially if the seakers are more sensitive. I really like this amp and it would be a really great value for money if the problem could be solved. It gives better sound than Nuforce dda 100.

OP
S

Starcraft

Well... I was looking for small and good amp that could have a good dac in it to drive my MA rx6 but, thaking this into consideration, I sould avoid it.

Thank you.

nicky

Hi, mine arrived yesterday, I got it for 496 euros and had it shipped with China Post to avoid taxes. Il't took 3 weeks but at the end it was worth it as I don't have import taxes.
It replaces my nad 326 + topping d30 combo.
I juste tried for your hiss. I do have it but I must stick my ear on the tweeter to hear it. At 5 cm I can't hear anything. I have 93 db Davis acoustic vinci hd speakers.
You should check if your live is on the right side of your socket. Electricians usually don't pay attention to this detail. I found 4 sockets with the wrong side.

For the sound Itvis quite good. There is more details than the d30 for sure. I still need to get use to the new sound.

It seems quite neutral, vocals are good, a little lated back but vocal jazz (tested with Malia, album : black orchid) it is great.

I then put in buddy guy, same thing, detailed sound but it misses space. On my valve amp with the d30 I could hear buddy guy's breath befor and after each sentence, on the a8 it starts and stops instantly, it must be a class d thing.

Overall, it is a good complete system. I thing it should be used with less sensitive speakers, I personnaly have to set the output of the DAC to 50% in order to have a wide volume range, otherwise at 9 it gets too loud and 8 is too low. A test from audioscience review would-be in deed welcome.

Spaxton

Hi, mine arrived yesterday, I got it for 496 euros and had it shipped with China Post to avoid taxes. Il't took 3 weeks but at the end it was worth it as I don't have import taxes.
It replaces my nad 326 + topping d30 combo.
I juste tried for your hiss. I do have it but I must stick my ear on the tweeter to hear it. At 5 cm I can't hear anything. I have 93 db Davis acoustic vinci hd speakers.
You should check if your live is on the right side of your socket. Electricians usually don't pay attention to this detail. I found 4 sockets with the wrong side.

For the sound Itvis quite good. There is more details than the d30 for sure. I still need to get use to the new sound.

It seems quite neutral, vocals are good, a little lated back but vocal jazz (tested with Malia, album : black orchid) it is great.

I then put in buddy guy, same thing, detailed sound but it misses space. On my valve amp with the d30 I could hear buddy guy's breath befor and after each sentence, on the a8 it starts and stops instantly, it must be a class d thing.

Overall, it is a good complete system. I thing it should be used with less sensitive speakers, I personnaly have to set the output of the DAC to 50% in order to have a wide volume range, otherwise at 9 it gets too loud and 8 is too low. A test from audioscience review would-be in deed welcome.

Hello friend! Thanks for sharing this!

So I am not the only one. It's not only mine amp with this problem. I can confirm all this what You said about the sound but I also have to admit that their design is BAD. There should be nothing on the speakers when the input signal is silence even if I put my ear on the speaker. The cheapest FX-Audio D802 (100 EUR amp) gives nothing when there is nothing on the input. I am using this amplifier (SMSL A8) with Wharfedale Vardus VR400 (basic entry level floor standing speakers) and I can hear the sound in normal listening position while silence. Even my handmade amp gives absolute silence when I close my ears to the speakers.
What I noticed also is that the amplifier does not have regular speaker protection with relays. Instead of that they use mosfets (which may also cause the above mentioned problem) or so and therefore You can hear lite clicks when powering ON/OFF.

Message to SMSL... THERE SHOULD BE and absolute SILENCE on the speakers when silence is on the input. Stop producing A8 and make A10 with corrected design with relays in speaker protection circuit.

Last edited:

nicky

for the volume issue, it came from foobar, it seems it forces the output level. I passed on MusicBee and I can now set the DAC to 100% and have a good sound control. I don't bother with ASIO anymore.

nicky

Hello friend! Thanks for sharing this!

So I am not the only one. It's not only mine amp with this problem. I can confirm all this what You said about the sound but I also have to admit that their design is BAD. There should be nothing on the speakers when the input signal is silence even if I put my ear on the speaker. The cheapest FX-Audio D802 (100 EUR amp) gives nothing when there is nothing on the input. I am using this amplifier (SMSL A8) with Wharfedale Vardus VR400 (basic entry level floor standing speakers) and I can hear the sound in normal listening position while silence. Even my handmade amp gives absolute silence when I close my ears to the speakers.
What I noticed also is that the amplifier does not have regular speaker protection with relays. Instead of that they use mosfets (which may also cause the above mentioned problem) or so and therefore You can hear lite clicks when powering ON/OFF.

Message to SMSL... THERE SHOULD BE and absolute SILENCE on the speakers when silence is on the input. Stop producing A8 and make A10 with corrected design with relays in speaker protection circuit.

I agree, the amp should be dead silent with nothing going trough it (my alientek D8 was silent). I also have the slight click on powering off.
The hiss on my speakers is really faint, as I said I have to stick my ear on the tweeter so it is not a dealbreaker for me.
Overall I enjoy the sound of this setup, only thing missing is the space on blues musique. There is no breath or "blues effect" on the reverb of the guitar, it just dies out. The sound is analytic, precise but not alive. I sold my other rig so I have to finish building my 300B Valve amp and see if with the dac output I get all these effects back. I can't tell if it is a dac or class d thing. It is my first time listening to a AK dac. My alientek that was an FDA had the effects. Same with my NAD+topping D30 that was a cirrus logic based.

To wrap it up, it still is a good quality setup, if you can live with the hiss (it seems it also depends of the speakers, you seem to hear it a lot more than me, mine is really faint, almost inaudible. I forgot to say I am also bi wired, maybe it helps) and the click on powering off.

Spaxton

for the volume issue, it came from foobar, it seems it forces the output level. I passed on MusicBee and I can now set the DAC to 100% and have a good sound control. I don't bother with ASIO anymore.

I suggest using JRiver. Without ASIO You will not be able to use full potential of the DAC. If You need help with settings, just tell me.
The difference You are hearing may be the result of class D before the DAC and also may be the result of resampling if any in Your setup. I had this problem but now it has been resolved. AK DAC is manufactured by Asahi Kasei Microdevices and it is (if You ask me) a very good choice.

Best Regards.

nicky

I suggest using JRiver. Without ASIO You will not be able to use full potential of the DAC. If You need help with settings, just tell me.
The difference You are hearing may be the result of class D before the DAC and also may be the result of resampling if any in Your setup. I had this problem but now it has been resolved. AK DAC is manufactured by Asahi Kasei Microdevices and it is (if You ask me) a very good choice.

Best Regards.

well I skipped on Jriver as it is not a free app... After reading your post I fiddled around with MusicBee and activated ASIO (it was by default on WASAPI).
I would be interested on how you solved the sound issue I have. I Don't think there is any resampling, I use the same config as on my old rig.

best regards

Spaxton

well I skipped on Jriver as it is not a free app... After reading your post I fiddled around with MusicBee and activated ASIO (it was by default on WASAPI).
I would be interested on how you solved the sound issue I have. I Don't think there is any resampling, I use the same config as on my old rig.

best regards

Hello,

I tried to find a description of that sound issue but I don't see it in this thread. If You need my help, I will assist via teamviewer. Or post the problem here...
By the way... You must have their ASIO driver installed.

Top Bottom