• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 PRO - HDMI ARC DAC

Kiko1974

It doesn't - it should play up to 24 bit 176.4 PCM though.
Thanks for your reply.
A friend of mine wants to play SACDs and DSD files from a Sony X-800 and doesn't want to get THE Chinese HDMI-DSD Audio Extractor.
I own an X-800 M2 with THE Chinese Audio Extractor connected vía I2S to an SMSL DO 300EX (that sounds great), but my friend doesn't want another gadget on his set up or more cables.
So this D/A converter won't do the job for him.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply.
A friend of mine wants to play SACDs and DSD files from a Sony X-800 and doesn't want to get THE Chinese HDMI-DSD Audio Extractor.
I own an X-800 M2 with THE Chinese Audio Extractor connected vía I2S to an SMSL DO 300EX (that sounds great), but my friend doesn't want another gadget on his set up or more cables.
The X800 can convert DSD to 24 bit 176.4 pcm - I do that all the time

see_no_evil

Thanks for your reply.
Your friend could get Audiopraise VanityPro and extract DSD audio. One possible downside is that it converts DSD to PCM internally but I seriously doubt there's an audible difference.

jed1

I bought a DO100 Pro to drive 2.1 studio monitors. My set up includes;
  1. Wiim Pro Plus (Youtube Music via Chromecast input and Toslink output)
  2. DO100 Pro (Toslink input and XLR output)
  3. Kali WS6.2 subwoofer (XLR input and XLR output with low cut filter applied)
  4. Kali IN8 V2 studio monitors for left and right channel (XLR input)
  5. Furman SS-6B-Pro power strip to power everything
  6. IsoAcoustic ISO200-Sub and ISO200 as speaker isolation
Here are my reasons to build this system;
  • Kali WS6.2 has a built in low cut filter output option, it offloads low frequency duty from Kali IN8 V2's and eliminates low cut filter DSP requirement from either DAC or streamer.
  • Kali WS6.2 is small enough for living room and does not vibrate because of opposite facing drivers.
  • I went with Kali speakers to match timbre.
  • Choose DO100 Pro because it has dual DAC chips - Dual ES9039Q2M have four channels in total while single ES9039Pro has eight channels. Dual Q2M is about half the price of Pro (SMSL SU-9 is about $415). I believe dual ES9039Q2M good value. I considered Topping D50 III but chose DO100 Pro because of ARC. Topping D50 III has an output voltage toggle switch which is more appropritate to drive typical pro audio equipment. DO200 Pro has the toggle switch but I don't know if I would like 12 CS43198 DAC chips can do better than dual ES9039Q2M at twice the price of DO100 Pro.
  • In order to avoid ground loop, humming, EMI,
    • WiFi instead of ethernet connection for Wiim Pro Plus
    • Toslink between. Wiim Pro Plus and DO100 Pro
    • All analog signal chains are balanced via XLR cables
    • A single power conditioner / strip to power everything to share a common ground
For installation, I put Kali IN8 V2 upside down on top of ISO200 on monitor stands with rubber feet - isolate vibration and put MF/HF coaxial drivers at listening height. Height of speaker stand is 28 inch but with ISO200, it gains another 3.5 inch so 31 inch is combined height for the monitor speaker. It is bit too high. By inverting the speaker, it lowers the mid and tweeter. I tried both upright and inverted origentations. I prefer the inverted.

For room correction, for now, I do not apply any GEQ / PEQ on Wiim Pro Plus. IKMultimedia's ARC4 studio seems to be a robust and simple solution at a cost. But, I don't feel I need such.

Attaches are some pictures FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 31

nanook

Does anyone know if the DO100 Pro has the CK-03 clock module, SMSL uses in other DAC like e.g. in the DO300EX and in the D-6s (here without the square shaped metal cover)? On the PCB photos this metal cover is visible, it's however not mentioned in the description of the DO100 Pro. Marketing?

Has anyone seen or measured a jitter spectrum for SPDIF or Toslink input?

Joramun

Is at ARC or eARC, and isn't hdmi limited to 24/192?
Seems to be ARC only which has less bandwidth and compatibility than eARC.

eARC can handle more advanced audio formats and higher audio quality. It supports up to 32 channels of audio. It also supports 24-bit/192kHz uncompressed 38Mbps data streams. eARC is compatible with Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

Noslen

I bought a DO100 Pro to drive 2.1 studio monitors. My set up includes;
  1. Wiim Pro Plus (Youtube Music via Chromecast input and Toslink output)
  2. DO100 Pro (Toslink input and XLR output)
  3. Kali WS6.2 subwoofer (XLR input and XLR output with low cut filter applied)
  4. Kali IN8 V2 studio monitors for left and right channel (XLR input)
  5. Furman SS-6B-Pro power strip to power everything
  6. IsoAcoustic ISO200-Sub and ISO200 as speaker isolation
Here are my reasons to build this system;
  • Kali WS6.2 has a built in low cut filter output option, it offloads low frequency duty from Kali IN8 V2's and eliminates low cut filter DSP requirement from either DAC or streamer.
  • Kali WS6.2 is small enough for living room and does not vibrate because of opposite facing drivers.
  • I went with Kali speakers to match timbre.
  • Choose DO100 Pro because it has dual DAC chips - Dual ES9039Q2M have four channels in total while single ES9039Pro has eight channels. Dual Q2M is about half the price of Pro (SMSL SU-9 is about $415). I believe dual ES9039Q2M good value. I considered Topping D50 III but chose DO100 Pro because of ARC. Topping D50 III has an output voltage toggle switch which is more appropritate to drive typical pro audio equipment. DO200 Pro has the toggle switch but I don't know if I would like 12 CS43198 DAC chips can do better than dual ES9039Q2M at twice the price of DO100 Pro.
  • In order to avoid ground loop, humming, EMI,
    • WiFi instead of ethernet connection for Wiim Pro Plus
    • Toslink between. Wiim Pro Plus and DO100 Pro
    • All analog signal chains are balanced via XLR cables
    • A single power conditioner / strip to power everything to share a common ground
For installation, I put Kali IN8 V2 upside down on top of ISO200 on monitor stands with rubber feet - isolate vibration and put MF/HF coaxial drivers at listening height. Height of speaker stand is 28 inch but with ISO200, it gains another 3.5 inch so 31 inch is combined height for the monitor speaker. It is bit too high. By inverting the speaker, it lowers the mid and tweeter. I tried both upright and inverted origentations. I prefer the inverted.

For room correction, for now, I do not apply any GEQ / PEQ on Wiim Pro Plus. IKMultimedia's ARC4 studio seems to be a robust and simple solution at a cost. But, I don't feel I need such.

Attaches are some pictures FYI.
I have a Wiim Pro Plus with a Tidal account and it is connected directly to an amplifier and of course I use the Wiim's internal DAC. My question is whether the SMSL DO100 Pro as a DAC has much better performance than the Wiim and justifies the purchase.

jed1

I have a Wiim Pro Plus with a Tidal account and it is connected directly to an amplifier and of course I use the Wiim's internal DAC. My question is whether the SMSL DO100 Pro as a DAC has much better performance than the Wiim and justifies the purchase.
Most likely, Wiim Pro Plus internal DAC performs very similar to DO100 Pro. I may not be able to hear the difference regardless of source types / quality. However, I went with DO100 Pro due for balanced connection which Wiim Pro Plus does not provide - even upcoming Wiim Ultra is unlikely to have balanced outputs.

All types of noises are out there in real world (e.g. my home) - RF, EMI and etc. I'd like to minimize such noises with several measures such as fully balanced signal chain (for common mode rejection), common ground, Toslink instead of SPDIF coax (to prevent any electrical noise emanated from traveling to DO100 Pro), no wired Ethernet (to break off ground loop), and power filter.

Unbalanced output of Wiim Pro Plus is a gap I need to fill with a balanced DAC such as DO100 Pro. In addition, it can send unwanted electrical noise to DO100 Pro (similar to Toslink vs SPDIF coax).

Dual DAC chip is not a part of counter noise measure. Originally I considers SMSL D6s and the DO100 Pro came out at very similar price.

Given everything equal, I believe audiabule quality differs based on noise level.

PS. Kali WS6.2 and IN8 V2 have built in ADC / DAC / DSP. So that means at the end of signal chain, I use Kali's internal DACs.

Last edited:

Noslen

Most likely, Wiim Pro Plus internal DAC performs very similar to DO100 Pro. I may not be able to hear the difference regardless of source types / quality. However, I went with DO100 Pro due for balanced connection which Wiim Pro Plus does not provide - even upcoming Wiim Ultra is unlikely to have balanced outputs.

However, all types of noises are out there in real world (e.g. my home) - RF, EMI and etc. I'd like to minimize such noises with several measures - fully balanced signal chain (for common mode rejection), common ground, Toslink instead of SPDIF coax (to prevent any noise emanated from traveling to DO100 Pro), no wired Ethernet (to break off ground loop), and power filter.

Unbalanced output of Wiim Pro Plus is a gap I need to fill with a balanced DAC such as DO100 Pro.

Dual DAC chip is not a part of counter noise measure. Originally I considers SMSL D6s and the DO100 Pro came out at very similar price.

Given everything equal, I believe audiabule quality differs based on noise level.

PS. Kali WS6.2 and IN8 V2 have built in ADC / DAC / DSP. So that means at the end of signal chain, I use Kali's internal DACs.
Maybe it would be more useful to spend that money on a better amplifier (I was thinking about a Cambridge Audio AXR100). I have the Wiim connected to an AV, Sony STR DH820 (yes I know, it's not ideal, but I already had it). To compensate, the Triangle Borea BR03 are amazing. Please some more amplifier suggestions. thanks

Feesh

What about the ''big brother'' DO200 PRO?

Trying to find discussions/reviews online but nothing seems to be floating around yet?

As a newbie I only have experience with AKM/SABRE chips.

What could one expect with ''Using 12 pieces of Cirrus Logic's latest audio decoding chip CS43131''?

jed1

What about the ''big brother'' DO200 PRO?

Trying to find discussions/reviews online but nothing seems to be floating around yet?

As a newbie I only have experience with AKM/SABRE chips.

What could one expect with ''Using 12 pieces of Cirrus Logic's latest audio decoding chip CS43131''?
Topping D70 Pro Octo uses 8 units of CS43131. I am guessing DO200 Pro will sound similar? Does it worth the twice as DO100 Pro? I doubt it. I rather go with ES9039PRO instead.

Top Bottom