• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So could I safely say the best dac being tested is the oppo uhd205?

helloworld

I have gone through all of the reviews now. Am I right? By the way, If I want to get the airplay feature, I have two options:1, use HDMI cable to connect the Apple tv with oppo 205; 2, use the raspberrypi with moode audio system, and connect the oppo 205 with it using usb cable. Which one do you think is better?
Thank you very much.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is the best measuring one right now assuming you can buy one.

I just did a few tests and I was surprised to see the USB port performing better than HDMI and SPDIF. This is preliminary data though. Assuming both options are just as good, I would opt for USB.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
UDP-205 (Universal Disc Player), and I think all of the last batch were sold but you can check the Oppo site and/or see if some dealers still have stock.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have gone through all of the reviews now. Am I right? By the way, If I want to get the airplay feature, I have two options:1, use HDMI cable to connect the Apple tv with oppo 205; 2, use the raspberrypi with moode audio system, and connect the oppo 205 with it using usb cable. Which one do you think is better?
Thank you very much.
What are you trying to buy specifically? What are your requirements?

Dana reed

Thank you very much.
One thing about the AppleTV is that it does sample rate conversion of all audio to 48 kHz, whether you use HDMI or SPDIF out. So if you're mostly streaming music that's 44 kHz or multiples, you won't be feeding the DAC in Oppo the same data as in the original files over airplay
This is why I chose to use an actual computer (mac mini in my case) to feed whatever DAC by either USB or optical. Then I just use the iOS remote app to control the playback from my phone.

Top Bottom