• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Expect an update in February saying "coming later in 2022". Fool me once, Spotify....
Yes, you are right in what you say. But I continue to be a naive gullible fool anyway ..:)

Then we will see the price increase and ..Although Spotify probably does not dare to raise the price given what happened in 2021. That is to say what the competitors now offer, streaming quality - price. But we'll see.:)

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
We finally have an "update" from Spotify:
Scroll down to Status Update from 1-7-22
It’s worth noting that the update was posted by a forum moderator and is not an official statement released from Spotify management. Why they’re playing these games is beyond me. Spotify has a long history of these types of shenanigans…

DanielT

Major Contributor
It’s worth noting that the update was posted by a forum moderator and is not an official statement released from Spotify management. Why they’re playing these games is beyond me. Spotify has a long history of these types of shenanigans…
Aha.....:mad:

Although I do not know if I would hear any difference, so it really does not, or hardly (at least for me) matter much. Does not prevent me from being annoyed at Spotify after their statements in February 2021. "More information will come later this year" (2021) ... kiss my a **

tw99

I'm a "trapped" Spotify customer.

I absolutely hate their general attitude to customers, of which this Lossless streaming business is just one example. Another is their previous longterm refusal to allow management of people who follow you on the platform. I had someone following me for years (an ex employee) who was effectively a stalker who I couldn't get rid of... This is just a basic privacy issue that any responsible social network would have resolved much sooner than they did.

But I have a bunch of playlists and favourites, so do the family, and Spotify works well with the LMS ecosystem, so I grit my teeth and put up with it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe we should ask Adele for another favor and have her demand they release lossless playback? It worked for the play button…

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe we should ask Adele for another favor and have her demand they release lossless playback? It worked for the play button…
I'd rather you ask her to wait another half decade before polluting our airwaves with her dreary warblings.

vhild§

I´m so pissed I just ordered a used Apple TV (3.gen with optical out), will cancel Spotify, and stream Apple Music via it, albeit with added difficulty.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Lossless streaming could roll out faster if they used WavPack Hybrid instead using of separate OGG & FLAC's.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The ogg container packs flac just fine.
I never really heard of OGG FLAC. There isn't a whole lot of info about it.

I think OGA is FLAC OGG? I can't find any encoders to play around with OGG FLAC.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Spotify’s CEO doesn’t actually know when promised HiFi feature will roll out

The best thing about this article is the use of the Travolta in Pulp Fiction meme.
Many of the features that we talk about and especially that’s related to music ends up into licensing. So I can’t really announce any specific on this other than to say that we’re in constant dialogue with our partners to bring this to market.

That's a lot of dialogueing. I think Ek is full of it.

teched58

Those of us still waiting for lossless at Spotify are completely screwed now cause of the Rogan thing. Anyone who cancels their sub to go to Apple Music cause they're fed up waiting, Spotify is gonna assume we're leaving over Rogan.

Hey, maybe Spotify should add a misinformation warning a la "We at Spotify frown on misinformation, including misinformation that Spotify Technology S.A. has repeatedly promoted to the effect that lossless steaming was coming to the platform in 2021."

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm just out of words re how disgusted I am with them, over everything. I thought they were pretty darn good two or three years ago, but they have burned up my love.

Top Bottom