• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer track change speed

Sillysilly

I’ve noticed when using Qobuz with an Arylic streamer I browse unknown music and albums less because the time to change / play tracks + albums is often up to a second after clicking.

Is this just a reality of wireless / cloud streaming or can it be made faster by spending more on a better streamer and wiring everything up by ethernet?

Anyone got any recommendations. I want it to be as instantaneous as possible.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It takes some time for the request to get to the server, and then get "processed" and handled before it can start streaming your request. You aren't the only person streaming from the Qobuz servers. ;)

And there is buffering on your end. A buffer is like a storage tank or a long-pipe. The data over the Internet (or even in a computer) doesn't flow at a nice, continuous, uninterrupted rate. Generally the buffer gets filled in a quick burst and then it flows-out smoothly. If the buffer doesn't get re-filled in time, you get buffer underflow and a gap/glitch in the audio.

OP
S

Sillysilly

Would fibre to the door, Unifi hardware and a more expensive streamer with bigger / faster buffer help or do I just need to purchase my music and throw it on an SSD plugged straight into the streamer?

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hai I have a cambridge cxnv2 and it has the same altough once buffered it plays without hickups, it,s just the first number you type in

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Would fibre to the door, Unifi hardware and a more expensive streamer with bigger / faster buffer help or do I just need to purchase my music and throw it on an SSD plugged straight into the streamer?
A bigger buffer (assuming the design actually fills it) will ADD delay, not lessen it. Filling the buffer takes time. If you had no buffer, the responsiveness would be better, but you would keep having glitches and splats.

Network latency around your house is a few milliseconds. Changing the router will not make a big difference. Latency across the Internet is much higher. Also the streaming service has to load up, buffer and stream your content.

But the biggest delay is probably your buffer which needs to cope with all of the end-to-end latency and jitter.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
As far as I can remember the Quobuz app have the buffer set to 2 sec by default. You can find the setting and reduce it and see if it still plays without stutters. If yes, songs will start quicker.

OP
S

Sillysilly

Aaa genius, cheers. Will have a play around with this and see what happens.

Top Bottom