• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sudden hearing loss... what it looks like.

RHO

Major Contributor
Ketogenic diet
So you want him to replace advice from a qualified medically trained person with keto bullshit. OK... If that's what made you create an account for...
We need carbohydrates to stay alive. It's always a bad idea to try to cut them completely from your diet.

Graph Feppar

So you want him to replace advice from a qualified medically trained person with keto bullshit. OK... If that's what made you create an account for...
We need carbohydrates to stay alive. It's always a bad idea to try to cut them completely from your diet.
I read a theory that the permanent hearing damage in Meniere disease is caused by loss of circulation to the inner ear due to swelling. Since cells need more oxygen to utilize glucose as fuel source compared to ketones, ketogenic diet theoretically might decrease the damage.

While there is huge amount of alternative medicine bullshit, blind faith in people percieved as authority is bad strategy in our modern world becose the conventional healthcare is too full with harmfull practices and lies.

RHO

Major Contributor
becose the conventional healthcare is too full with harmfull practices and lies.
Now that is a harmful idea in itself.
You rather believe some charlatans in "alternative medicine"?
Because there are charlatans misusing the term "scientific" and there is unbridled capitalism going on, does not mean EBM is not reliable and the place to go for real treatments.
"Inflammation" seems the fadd word of the year. It's the cause off all your problems. Keto is soooo 2020.
What will it be in 2022? Some other reason to fall for the next hype to fix all your problems?
If you want real help. Find answers in science based medicine.

Graph Feppar

Now that is a harmful idea in itself.
You rather believe some charlatans in "alternative medicine"?
Because there are charlatans misusing the term "scientific" and there is unbridled capitalism going on, does not mean EBM is not reliable and the place to go for real treatments.
"Inflammation" seems the fadd word of the year. It's the cause off all your problems. Keto is soooo 2020.
What will it be in 2022? Some other reason to fall for the next hype to fix all your problems?
If you want real help. Find answers in science based medicine.
I strongly disagree, I have first hand experience of doctors prescribing harmfull substances to both myself and my family. Its maybe bit better in richer countries with better healthcare but it surely aint perfect.

I never mentioned anything about inflamation, you can beat that strawman all you want, becose in the end I will just agree with you, it really seems to be the word of choice for many alt medicine snakeoil salesmen, portrayed as source of all problems.

There is no cure from conventional medicine for Meiners disease, they might give you corticosteroids and tell you to go easy with the salt but thats it.

As for believing charlatans, I dont believe anybody, especially on the internet. I may hear both sides but I form my own opinions based on me reading the full studies directly. Sci hub is a gift from gods.

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
I strongly disagree, I have first hand experience of doctors prescribing harmfull substances to both myself and my family. Its maybe bit better in richer countries with better healthcare but it surely aint perfect.

I never mentioned anything about inflamation, you can beat that strawman all you want, becose in the end I will just agree with you, it really seems to be the word of choice for many alt medicine snakeoil salesmen, portrayed as source of all problems.

There is no cure from conventional medicine for Meiners disease, they might give you corticosteroids and tell you to go easy with the salt but thats it.

As for believing charlatans, I dont believe anybody, especially on the internet. I may hear both sides but I form my own opinions based on me reading the full studies directly. Sci hub is a gift from gods.
Because YOUR doctor messed up, or you think they prescribed harmful substances, does not mean EBM is wrong and you should go find "better" solutions in "alternative medicine".
You are still better off with a scientifically trained professional (who can make a mistake) than with a quack.

Regarding the inflammation: I was under the impression you picked up on the story the previous poster was talking about when you mentioned the swelling. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Yes, it is unfortunate that there is no cure for some diseases and syndromes. Hopefully some discomfort can be alleviated with harmless treatments. (I'm not such a fan of corticosteroids but sometimes they can help... they just get applied too often in my view)

Yes, there are some great resources out there. I don't know if I fully agree with sci hub, but I also think the current capitalization of science is flawed.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
OP, so sorry to hear that. Hope you recover soon. Please update us.

The only person I know that has sudden hearing loss is the husband of my wife's friend. He has preexisting health conditions, including diabetes. He suffered sudden significant hearing loss after coming back from an overseas trip. They don't know what caused it.....The wife did complain that the husband indulge in the local foods (which tend to be high in carbs and sugars) without regards of his health condition. Could it be the main cause, don't know......

Graph Feppar

I dont like the whole alternative medicine snakeoil fest too, what I suggest is doing research and creating own "alternative" plan to fix ones problem but just becose it has alternative in its name does not mean that plan will have anything to do with the world of alternative medicine, probably better word is experimental.

If I had Meiner disease I would try taking N Acetyl Cysteine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, vitamin C and cold pressed sunflower oil from type of sunflower which are high in monounsaturated fat and low in polyunsaturated fat for alpha tocopherol. This is to lessen cell damage and delay the hearing loss. NAC is at the moment showing to help in cases of acute hearing loss and the hearing loss from Meiners occurs after the cochlear hydrops episodes so its like series of sudden steps of hearing loss so NAC could work.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty scary how isolating severe hearing loss is when it happens so suddenly.
hope u get better. listen to ur doctor.
in similar situation, one of my relatives got prescribed ear drops with antibiotics, and prednisolone.

OP
buzwork

buzwork

Thanks to all of you for all your words of support.

I had follow-up audiologist & ENT doc appointments on Friday. The hearing loss hasn't gotten worse but it also hasn't gotten better.

The first round of meds, with the goal of combatting possible imbalance of cochlear fluids, had no effect. ENT doc has now prescribed a pretty heavy dose of steroids (common regimen with limited success, however, as described here).

This has come up a few times but I wanted to emphasize that this is not related to ear abuse; I've never been an SPL guy and listen at very moderate levels.

OP
buzwork

buzwork

Also wanted to add that I had excellent WRS (word recognition score) in both ears indicating that, if things remain the same, hearing aids at moderate amplification would work very well for every day life.

Speaking of every day life... it has sucked. Went through the Walgreen's pharmacy drive through to pick up prescriptions and really struggled to understand wtf the pharmacist was saying through the intercom. I can't really communicate with family members who are in adjacent rooms... I can hear their voices but can’t understand what they're saying. It's been an emotional beatdown.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hang in there. It ain't over yet. Many of us routing for you. Seems like you are doing all you can right now. Take advantage of any peaceful moments if they arise as stress is often contributing factor. Fingers crossed.

OP
buzwork

buzwork

Good news after third day of the high dose steroid treatment... I'm getting certain frequencies back (without distortion). My biggest concern is the frequency range of human vocals and that's where I'm seeing the most improvement. Feeling hopeful for the first time in a few weeks.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Good news after third day of the high dose steroid treatment... I'm getting certain frequencies back (without distortion). My biggest concern is the frequency range of human vocals and that's where I'm seeing the most improvement. Feeling hopeful for the first time in a few weeks.

Great news. Stay positive.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Good news after third day of the high dose steroid treatment... I'm getting certain frequencies back (without distortion).

That's great news - very happy for you.

I've been on and off Prednisone a few times. (Crohn's disease is something I would not wish on my worst enemy). It's great for what it does, but it can cause all sorts of problems too. Please take care of yourself, and if they have recommended regular bloodwork make sure you do it. It's a powerful immune-supressor.

Also watch out for weight gains, hair loss, thinning skin, and infections. Also plan on getting a dermatologist to check you over for any abnormal moles.

Top Bottom