• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tariffs on electrical goods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think this is part of the underlying reason of this potential tariffs war / trade war. While the obvious reason of this conflict is China's trade surplus with the U.S, the more important reason, nonetheless, like many other have already suggested, is not the numbers in the surplus, but what constitutes the surplus.

To put it more bluntly, American society does not really mind a trade surplus of importing plastic slippers or other low quality goods, but people have some serious concerns about importing a large amount of high tech components from China. (I believe it is one of the recurring themes in the MIT's PIE report).

What makes it more complicated is state intervention in China, like the former Soviet model, China's current economy is evolved from planned economy. Even though under the notion of "Capitalism with Chinese characteristics" that many things in China today look ultra-capitalistic, government's involvement still plays in big role in the business sector. For example, the government's push to develop solar panels. The invisible hand in China certainly is not the hand of the "free market," but the hand of the government.

This leads to the central question of today's trade war. The American side thinks that China is taking a "manipulative" approach to global trading and taking advantage of the "free market" system of the West.

This reading is not completely unjustified. For one, the Chinese currency is heavily manipulated. (Though the Chinese side would also argue that American economy is not that "free" either, for example, through government's subsidy, etc.)

What surprises me though is the tactics used in solving this conflict. By merely highlighting the "surplus" is both misleading and dangerous. Also, China now is the second largest economy in the world now. It is ludicrous to even slightly imagine that they would not want to develop their own technological prowess. For the American side, people may think they can stop exporting silicon chipsets to the Chinese to curtail the following import of high tech components. But will the Chinese side agree on merely manufacturing plastic slippers for another twenty-years?

I think a much better approach is focusing on our advantages, and most importantly, investing in the future, in the US, that will be the areas of software, biochem, exploratory sciences, and to further strengthen the competitive edge. By imagining rolling back to the factory-age of the 60s and 70s and wishing to take back the jobs that we have already outsourced to other countries actually is a very backward mode of thinking.
Insecurity , lack of a sense of identity can lead one and indeed nations to become rather nostalgic looking backwards and relaying on past glories.

Certainly observable in British society, possibly American society too.

Anyway this is all too highbrow for me, back to drywall lol

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another alternative is that the US's freedom, open culture, enlightened values and education system ....
Ah yes - that stuff. Don't worry, the current U.S. government is trying to change all of that. When the white supremacists take over the country - and the U.S. tech sector - the superior intelligence and reasoning skills of this cohort will catapult the U.S. back to its rightful position as best at everything in the world.

/snark

Jesse Russell.JPG

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Insecurity , lack of a sense of identity can lead one and indeed nations to become rather nostalgic looking backwards and relaying on past glories.

Certainly observable in British society, possibly American society too.

Anyway this is all too highbrow for me, back to drywall lol

«Insecurity , lack of a sense of identity can lead one and indeed nations to become rather nostalgic looking backwards and relaying on past glories».

I could not but start thinking about the music preferred by most audiophiles when I read this :p

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing about «free market», it’s a metaphor, an image. Trump recently called the free market bluff:

«“I have an idea for them. Both the U.S. and the E.U. drop all Tariffs, Barriers and Subsidies!” Trump said in a Tuesday night tweet. “That would finally be called Free Market and Fair Trade! Hope they do it, we are ready - but they won’t!”

I think you're misreading who's bluffing. The changes offered in the tweet, not free trade generally, is the bluff. From my perspective, it would have amazing had that bluff been called!

there seems to be no answer to whether the US should change its tariffs on its imports. The implication is that whatever they currently are at is perfect, or that at least there can be no better level.

I disagree. The answer is if taxes change, they should do so gradually. Those changes should go through normal legislative processes.

Instability is an even bigger issue than the advisability of these specific tax hikes. Stability in the rules is itself a virtue. Businesses can calibrate to any given equilibrium. They have a lot more trouble when their future is subject to arbitrary and capricious whims.

It is important to recognize that these changes are not being enacted after laborious debates in the legislature. They are not even being enacted as changes in agency rule interpretation following the statutorily required notice and comment period. They are effectively one person with a Twitter account using an under defined loophole ("national security") to fundamentally disrupt the planning and analysis of economic actors all over the world. That is just dangerous. Bigly.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They are effectively one person with a Twitter account
God Bless President Trump.
Let us start the call now
4 More Years, 4 More Years. :)

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
They are effectively one person with a Twitter account using an under defined loophole ("national security") to fundamentally disrupt the planning and analysis of economic actors all over the world. That is just dangerous. Bigly.
And let's not forget all the hard working Americans that looked to him as a savior, a shining beacon of hope, ensuring the USA a bright future:

and have since been diagnosed with black lung disease from working in the coal mines.

OP
Grave

Grave

idk what this thread is about any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom