• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tariffs on electrical goods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Multimeters and test instruments, too. I wonder how many of these items are still manufactured in the USA at the low to medium price-points?

OP
Grave

Grave

If this is going to literally make the price of all electronics from China go up by 25%, I am going to be pissed off. Trump is fucking with my nerdy sedentary lifestyle. :(

Wombat

Master Contributor
Does the new tariff apply to listed goods made in US company, minority owned(max. 49%), factories in Cheena or Chinese owned/part-owned factories in other countries?

OP
Grave

Grave

IDK none of the articles I searched for elaborated.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Toping was definitely part of the private Helsinki meating.

Tope meaning:

1. Drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

2. A small pointy snouted shark.

3. Tuft of hair.

4. Stupa - stupor in 1 above.

It seems to fit.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
A fascinating window onto the EU's protectionist practices:
http://madb.europa.eu/madb/euTariffs.htm

If you click on the 'Find my product Code' link you can gradually drill down to find your particular product.

For example, paperclips are 'Base Metals' - > 'Base metals and Articles of Base Metals' -> 'Miscellaneous articles of base Metal'-> 'Fittings for loose-leaf binders or files, letter clips, letter corners, paper clips, indexing tags and similar office articles, of base metal; staples in strips (for example, for offices, upholstery, packaging), of base metal'->'Other, including parts'

They attract a 2.7% tariff from the US.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Tope meaning:

1. Drink excessive amounts of alcohol.

2. A small pointy snouted shark.

3. Tuft of hair.

4. Stupa - stupor in 1 above.

It seems to fit.
Sorry, you were not able to understand the comment.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

DuxServit

Forum Donor
So here’s a question I’ve been meaning to ask audiophiles.

Given two audio products of equivalent performance (e.g. using Amir’s measurement denominations), where one is made the USA (e.g. at least 70% parts/labor) and the other made in China, how much more are you willing to pay for Made in USA audio products?

(a) 10% more;
(b) 30% more;
(c) 50% more.

[Full disclosure: on a dollar total amount, my audio gear is dominated by US-Made, then Made in Japan, then China].

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the rate China seems to be able to produce better and better products at lower and lower prices they may find a strange equilibrium .. they would sell more a a lower prices to produce similar to superior revenues ... meanwhile the USA is thr world largest economy ..yet it represents 20% of the World's economy IOW China is finding other markets at the detriment of the USA ...
Trades is a fascinating and complicated issue ... It is easy to call some practices protectionist .. in spite of all these that hasn't stopped the USA from remaining the largest world economy averaging 3.20% of GDP growth between 1948 and 2018 ... There are few things we're not fully knowledgeable of ...

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So here’s a question I’ve been meaning to ask audiophiles.

Given two audio products of equivalent performance (e.g. using Amir’s measurement denominations), where one is made the USA (e.g. at least 70% parts/labor) and the other made in China, how much more are you willing to pay for Made in USA audio products?

(a) 10% more;
(b) 30% more;
(c) 50% more.

[Full disclosure: on a dollar total amount, my audio gear is dominated by US-Made, then Made in Japan, then China].

Interesting question, but, but, for me, I am looking at more than specs, I am looking at build quality, paint work etc, and the quality of the components within, and then I will reward for those other tangibles given the same specs. I would pay 50% but you are looking at guy that did the right kinds of purchases along the way and still running some audio gear that is more than three decades old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom