• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Netherland Bach society - St. Matthew passion

What do you think about this ?

• 1. Reference sound quality and performance

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 2. Reference sound quality but average performance

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 3. Average sound quality but reference performance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
I cant think of a better performance than this - Marvelous sound and performance . What do you think ?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I have this on SACD. It came in a lovely flock lined box. I think I have 5-6 complete performances of St Matthews Passion ... which IMO is the greatest choral work ever written.

Better performance - Klemperer (controversial choice, I know), and Niklaus Harnoncourt. Both have inferior sound quality. The SQ of the Harnoncourt is not bad, but it's not clean and modern either. I am also quite taken by the new recording by Rudolf Lutz / JS Bach-Stiftung. THAT is a reference quality recording, with an excellent performance to boot. IMO it easily beats the Netherlands Bach Society.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Shorty

All of Bach​

All of Bach is a project of the Netherlands Bach Society with the aim to perform and record all of Bach's works and share them online with the world for free. With the finest recordings, performed at special locations and with great attention to image and sound. Don't want to miss a recording of All of Bach? Then subscribe to our YouTube channel. If you would like to help us complete All of Bach, please consider a donation.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
An incredible performance indeed.

Do you like it better than Mead’s version?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
One other highlight for me is Komm, süsses Kreuz.

While browsing YT for interpretations I stumbled upon this wonderful discussion of the viola da gamba part.

Some of the sections can go a bit unnoticed because of the singing so it’s nice to hear them played in isolation.

Among the interpretations I watched last night I particularly loved this one. What a beautiful voice.

Nitreb

Heard the Van Veldhoven version a few weeks ago, great interpretation and excellent sound.

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
I cant think of a better performance than this - Marvelous sound and performance . What do you think ?

Thanks for starting this thread. Here is a link to a not-too-long discussion of the Matthew Passion, originally sung for Good-Friday Vespers: https://brightmorningstar.org/saint-matthew-passion/

I would like to point out an historic performance by the Bruno-Kittel-Chor and the Berliner Phil from August-September 1942, just as the German war effort started to appear lost and prayers from the German people gained in intensity. The highpoint for me is the evangelist, the tenor Walther Ludwig. He follows all the conventions yet manages to bring a remarkable height of spiritual intensity. For all the worth of HIP performances, there is still a warm place for 19th c. German performance practice. Gerhardt Musikvertrieb (now out of business?) published a two-CD version JGCD 0053-2 in 2004. The Internet Archive has a few snippets of choral pieces.

1710786739479.png

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor

How about the Saint John Passion by the same forces? Plus a theological intro to the piece:

MarnixM

I stick to the "old" John Eliot Gardiner.

Top Bottom