• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 - Info & Where To Buy

Jorj

Forum Donor
I was poking about on the Topping site, looking at the new DX7s and noticed this guy...

d10-en-01.jpg

Hoping to find more information. I was thrilled to see that @amirm found such good results from the DX7 (besting his favorite D30), but sadly that has been discontinued, and it seems that the amp section on the new version is also not thrilling.

Has anyone out there got a line on these?

OP
Jorj

Jorj

Forum Donor
Ask and ye shall receive! No sooner had I hit the 'post' button, Massdrop sent me an email with....you guessed it.

Topping D10 Drop

If you use the link right above to join the drop, I think I might get some free goodies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, I love the look of this D10 unit! The confirmation of sampling rate is nice and the case looks really good with that amber display. If it performs similarly to Topping D30, it will be a great thing.

Oh, the massdrop won't ship until March 4th so we will have to wait a while.

OP
Jorj

Jorj

Forum Donor
I used your link and joined the drop. Looks like it needs one more purchase to activate though.

That's great, thanks for using my link! We're only one short of making the drop already. I'm looking forward to your review and measurements. I figured for $75, I'll play with it and see what I think. I don't expect it to best the D30, but who knows? The ship date is a bit of a wait, but I'm already waiting until March 28 for my HD6xx's, so spring will be fun for me.

Now I just need to run over to the Analog forum and get some ideas on a ~$300 amp....

Last edited:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I’ve just signed up for it too.
First post btw.

OP
Jorj

Jorj

Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to Ceburaska and Jorj. Glad to see new people taking part in the forum.

Guermantes

Ok, I've had a Topping D10 for a couple of days now and have been going through some listening tests. Results are mostly good, however I'm hearing some overtone artefacts in sine sweeps that are a bit disconcerting. These artefacts aren't audible in replay through an Apogee Rosetta 200 connected to the SPDIF out of the Topping which I'm using as a reference.

I'd like to see what the distortion measurements are like when Amir gets his unit. Also feedback from others who have ordered it.

Zek

Major Contributor
Ok, I've had a Topping D10 for a couple of days now and have been going through some listening tests. Results are mostly good, however I'm hearing some overtone artefacts in sine sweeps that are a bit disconcerting. These artefacts aren't audible in replay through an Apogee Rosetta 200 connected to the SPDIF out of the Topping which I'm using as a reference.

I'd like to see what the distortion measurements are like when Amir gets his unit. Also feedback from others who have ordered it.
Are these artefacts audible in replay audio files?
How does the D10 play DSD files?

Guermantes

Amir: yes, I used ASIO (Foobar2000) and WASAPI (PlayPcmWin) for PCM and PlayPcmWin reports WASAPI for DSD. The tone sweeps were LPCM WAV format.

Zek: I thought I heard some artefacts haloing the woodwinds in a track I like to use for testing: Track 13 L'oiseau De Feu - Xiii. Danse Infernale De Tous Les Sujets De Kachtcheï from this album. That prompted me to play the tone sweeps. Otherwise I didn't hear any problems in music tracks I was playing.

The D10 seems to accept both native DSD and DoP streams for DSD64. I've used a test track from 2L for DSD256 and that works only as native DSD. I played Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls (DSD64) and thought it sounded great. Have just listened to Der Abschied from this album (DSD64) and thought that Christa Ludwig's voice sounded "steely" on the high notes, but this is a track that easily pushes systems into distortion.

I have a Topping D30 as well, so I'll try to do a comparison today.

Guermantes

Hmm, the D30 sounds fairly similar which leads me to think that the overtones may be downstream of the DACs, perhaps in my mixing console. Even so, the sweeps through the Rosetta 200 sound cleaner through the same signal path. I'll double check my gain structure. Amir's measurements will tell the truth of the story.

Anyway, it seems crisis averted -- back to normal programming (and listening).

The Topping D50 measurements look great! Perhaps I should have saved my pennies . . .

Top Bottom