• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

gvl

Major Contributor

Hmm, I do have one product with XMOS and for some reason the control panel isn't starting automatically on one of the PCs where I installed the drivers. I can however find it under the Start menu and launch it from there by hand, then it shows up in the system tray until the computer is restarted.

Grave

Oh I found it but it does not do anything anyway.

Smislov

Hi, why i don't have sound from youtube!? A play DSD from Foobar, but when I want something from youtube i dont have sound? How I can solve this problem? Tnx (toppind d30)

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, why i don't have sound from youtube!? A play DSD from Foobar, but when I want something from youtube i dont have sound? How I can solve this problem? Tnx (toppind d30)

You most likely are listening via WASAPI or considering it is DSD, ASIO.

ASIO is exclusive mode, all other audio is muted. That's just how that works. Close foobar first to regain control of audio.

Bds3151

This DAC is a sleeper! I know this is primarily a objective measurements forum but I wanted to pass on a few mods and and an opinion of the impact. I got my d30 about a week ago and it sounded fine but lacked punch in the mid and low end. I have the version with Capxon capacitors and they really hold this product back. I changed to a low noise linear power supply, upgraded the 220uf Capxon to 470uf Rubycon XYG caps, and the Nichicon FW 47uf to 22uf Elna Cerifine caps. What a difference. It's now punchy, detailed and airy! I started to identify instruments only heard as random sounds before. Amirm, thanks for leading me to this DAC.

Guermantes

I changed to a low noise linear power supply, upgraded the 220uf Capxon to 470uf Rubycon XYG caps, and the Nichicon FW 47uf to 22uf Elna Cerifine caps.
Can you share details on the LPS? My only complaint with the D30 is the power noise.

Bds3151

The LPS is home made with a lt1963 voltage regulator. you can go on ebay and search lt1963 voltage reg. and the assembled circuit board will pop up. You'll need an appropriate transformer/case.

Grave

This DAC is a sleeper! I know this is primarily a objective measurements forum but I wanted to pass on a few mods and and an opinion of the impact. I got my d30 about a week ago and it sounded fine but lacked punch in the mid and low end. I have the version with Capxon capacitors and they really hold this product back. I changed to a low noise linear power supply, upgraded the 220uf Capxon to 470uf Rubycon XYG caps, and the Nichicon FW 47uf to 22uf Elna Cerifine caps. What a difference. It's now punchy, detailed and airy! I started to identify instruments only heard as random sounds before. Amirm, thanks for leading me to this DAC.

This is the placebo effect, obviously.

Last edited:

Bds3151

For those who don't think all electronic components sound the same (other than Grave and derp1n), an example is a sound I thought were drums but post mods were clearly bongos. This was deep in the mix and hard to hear at all prior to the changes. I also changed the opamp from the stock opa2134 to a 2107.

derp1n

For those who don't think all electronic components sound the same (other than Grave and derp1n), an example is a sound I thought were drums but post mods were clearly bongos. This was deep in the mix and hard to hear at all prior to the changes. I also changed the opamp from the stock opa2134 to a 2107.
What track was this in? I bet most listeners could tell the difference between non-bongo "drums" and "bongos" in it even on a crappy DAC and having passed through some level of lossy compression. Your claims are so vastly overstated that I feel embarassed for you.

Jimmy

I've replaced the original power supply with a better and more powerful one (smps, not linear) that I had lying around, I don't have any decent measurent equipment but I haven't found any noticeable differences.

Regarding replacing the electrolytics I don't think that any of them are in the audio path, and particularly regarding the two elna's they are likely connected to the opamp's power supply pins and capacitance should be enough (you have even reduced it as you said).

The only odd behavior that I've found and can't explain is that when using asio the sound is brighter (for the worse) than when using wasapi (both with foobar2000). Wasapi and spdif sound mostly the same, neutral, while asio sounds artificially more detailed (just brighter), and plain wrong to my ears.

D

Deleted member 2944

What other components did you change during your evaluation?

Bds3151

I've replaced the original power supply with a better and more powerful one (smps, not linear) that I had lying around, I don't have any decent measurent equipment but I haven't found any noticeable differences.

Regarding replacing the electrolytics I don't think that any of them are in the audio path, and particularly regarding the two elna's they are likely connected to the opamp's power supply pins and capacitance should be enough (you have even reduced it as you said).

The only odd behavior that I've found and can't explain is that when using asio the sound is brighter (for the worse) than when using wasapi (both with foobar2000). Wasapi and spdif sound mostly the same, neutral, while asio sounds artificially more detailed (just brighter), and plain wrong to my ears.
Similar experience here regarding Wasapi. I consider all capacitors in the power supply delivery system as less important than signal path but found they still can make a difference to sound quality. I reduced the opamp capacitance because I didn't have the 47uf's available in the correct size and more than doubled the other power supply caps. Previously, I have increased the opamp caps all the way to 100uf on other rigs and I didn't notice a significant difference. I do hear differences in the makes of capacitors and really like a mix of Cerifine and Rubycon xyg for power supplies. I did the Linear power supply first and didn't notice a significant change. I did all of the other changes concurrently and heard a positive change, mostly in dynamics and low level detail.

Grave

This is obviously the placebo effect. The Topping D30 is easily audibly transparent without any changes. This has been well proven here.

D

Deleted member 2944

Just the low noise linear PS, opamp, and capacitors mentioned above.
I would be much more interested in what sort of measurable changes (if any) you induced with these modifications. Did you perform any objective testing?

Bds3151

I identified early on this was a subjective review of changes. If you believe that all human perception is covered in the tests outlined on this site, ignore my comments. I think the tests are valuable in determining a well performing product, but my ears tell me there is more to it. Or as Grave puts it repeatedly, my experience is a selective placebo effect. :)

Top Bottom