• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Topping] DX3 Pro coming soon

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Nice! Seems to be a "smaller" unbalanced Version of the DX7s with some extra WiFi goodies.
They should now do something like a "D70", balanced DAC only without any extras for maybe 300$ish.
Oh, and an A50 with lower output impedance to match the D50.

Reactions: pos

bakker_be

Nice! Seems to be a "smaller" unbalanced Version of the DX7s with some extra WiFi goodies.
They should now do something like a "D70", balanced DAC only without any extras for maybe 300$ish.
An A10 would suffice for me ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
I think it's nice they jumped on AKM's most recent chips right away. Monoprice did the same I think. Looking forward.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Bluetooth, not WiFi?

jsmiller58

Forum Donor
Awesome! And it looks so cute

I am actually excited, not so much for Bluetooth (they will have to pry the wires from my cold, dead, headphones), but because of the DAC chips chosen - will be an interesting change.

But seriously, where is the A50, hmmmm?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see a low impedance headphone output from Topping, and also interesting to see an AKM DAC in there.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the measurement turns out to be good, it seems to be very appealing at the price point.

But aesthetically, D50 looks much better. The curvy outline just doesn't go well with the retro digital display. It will look much better with D10 type "strong" contour.

Stump909

If the measurement turns out to be good, it seems to be very appealing at the price point.

But aesthetically, D50 looks much better. The curvy outline just doesn't go well with the retro digital display. It will look much better with D10 type "strong" contour.

Agreed, looks a bit utilitarian. Won't stop me from getting it though.

OP
Y

yue

Awesome! And it looks so cute

I am actually excited, not so much for Bluetooth (they will have to pry the wires from my cold, dead, headphones), but because of the DAC chips chosen - will be an interesting change.

But seriously, where is the A50, hmmmm?

There're heated competition between Chi-Fi companies recently. making an A50 is not a good business decision anymore as D50 is unbalanced. SMSL offers a more attractive solution (SU-8 and SH-8) at the same price. They should just cancel that product line entirely.

What they could do is

- upgrade DX7s to have better amps --- A lot of people and reviews love the product except the buffer stage uses TPA6120, which results to high internal impedance.

- make the top flagship product based on 9038 Pro with good amp, so it can compete directly with SMSL VMV D1. dual 9038 Pro DAC is not necessary as Oppo already demonstrated with their sonica DACr. So that can cut the cost significantly down, and one would expect it to be within $600.

- make a new product based on 4997 with good amp, that can compete directly with SMSL M10. (SMSL uses TPA6120A2 so not good for low impedance headphones)

After all, amplifiers are much, much cheaper than DAC (chip cost, design cost, manufacture cost). Selling a DAC with great amp doesn't add too much additional cost, but can attract a lot of users.

Last edited:

helloworld

There're heated competition between Chi-Fi companies recently. making an A50 is not a good business decision anymore as D50 is unbalanced. SMSL offers a more attractive solution (SU-8 and SH-8) at the same price. They should just cancel that product line entirely.

What they could do is

- upgrade DX7s to have better amps --- A lot of people and reviews love the product except the buffer stage uses TPA6120, which results to high internal impedance.

- make the top flagship product based on 9038 Pro with good amp, so it can compete directly with SMSL VMV D1. dual 9038 Pro DAC is not necessary as Oppo already demonstrated with their last bluray player. So that can cut the cost significantly down, and one would expect it to be within $600.

- make a new product based on 4997 with good amp, that can compete directly with SMSL M10. (SMSL uses TPA6120A2 so not good for low impedance headphones)

After all, amplifiers are much, much cheaper than DAC (chip cost, design cost, manufacture cost). Selling a DAC with great amp doesn't add too much additional cost, but can attract a lot of users.
Also they don't have a streamer to compete with smsl dp3

Grave

It says it will have a low output impedance, so that's good. It says it will have less power than my A30.

Grave

What they could do is

- make the top flagship product based on 9038 Pro with good amp, so it can compete directly with SMSL VMV D1. dual 9038 Pro DAC is not necessary as Oppo already demonstrated with their last bluray player. So that can cut the cost significantly down, and one would expect it to be within $600.

Balanced DAC/amps are pointless. I might upgrade to a single ended D50/A50 if such a thing existed.

Top Bottom