• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

jools

Forum Donor
Can anyone comment on the volume knob of the DX3 Pro+? How does it compare to the original? Satisfying clicks with accurate response? (That is not double stepping or skipping volume?)

Also are there siliencing relays on this unit? Or at least no audible thud through the amp/speakers when the unit powers on/off?
Volume encoders on the DX3 Pro V2 and Pro+ feel the same to me and I have not had any problem with either.
The Pro+ does not make the thud when powering on/off, so that's an improvement.

gael

Thanks a lot, I will get the Topping. One last thing: what kind of improvement can I expect coming from an Asus Xonar Essence STX (the first series)? Will the improvement be noticeable?

davidrf

Thanks. Damn from that measurements the STX II is so bad it almost can't be true...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's not SOTA (or even just good), but it's not catastrophic either.

....Not anywhere near $300 worth of performance though.

Last edited:

Tim1962

Ordered a dx3 pro+ and a sennheiser 560s. Looking forward to my first non cheapo headphone setup! Thanks @amirm for making this easy for us
@

Kachda

I have the same setup and really like it. This is my listening station by my easy chair. The Behringer helps my old ears. The EQ and the DVD89 are previously owned buys. The DVD89 needed a new belt for the eject to work, but I like to tinker so no biggie. Here are my thoughts on the DX3 Pro+.
IMG_5298(1).jpg

Countach

Unfortunately, my Topping malfunctioned a few days ago :( One of the display segments doesn't light up. I'm going to get it fixed/replaced.

As for the sound - I like it very much. I can't tell any difference between E30 and DX3 Pro+ in a blind test (not that I should, given the top-class measurements).

1647242617439.jpg

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, my Topping malfunctioned a few days ago :( One of the display segments doesn't light up. I'm going to get it fixed/replaced.

As for the sound - I like it very much. I can't tell any difference between E30 and DX3 Pro+ in a blind test (not that I should, given the top-class measurements).

View attachment 192847
It's going to be fixed/replaced by the manufacturer, or the merchant?

xpop

View attachment 192847
Same problem for my brand new unit ! But I don't care as it sounds so amazing !!!

CTOD01

I am thinking to purchase a Dx3pro+. Is it possible using apple music (iphone) as sources via a lightning to usb cable?

Last edited:

Rennokas

Would this be good pairing for Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen (32 Ohm) ? No clipping issues?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would this be good pairing for Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen (32 Ohm) ? No clipping issues?
The T1 3rd Gen is a very efficient headphone. With the DX3Pro+, you will clip the drivers of the headphone far sooner than you could ever clip the Amp.

Edit: The T1 3rd gen can take a little over 3Vrms before reaching Xmax. The DX3Pro+ can supply 7.5Vrms @32Ω.

Last edited:

davidrf

I finally bought a Topping DX3 Pro+. Through my Sennheiser HD 595 I can definitely hear the difference between the Topping and my old Asus Xonar Essence STX. A LOT of difference. The Topping sounds massively better, at least through the headphones out. Still, I'm returning it. Horrible quality control (faulty display with dead segments, faulty USB cable out-of-the-box), it heats like a furnace, the menu system is horrendous. I'm very sorry to return it because I really like how it sounds, but it feels like crap and very good audio tech mixed together.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have not tried it, but I can't think of any reason why a USB cable would not work. That said, a Raspberry Pi (if you can find one) running Shairport Sync works very nicely as an AirPlay transport to feed the Topping DX3 Pro+ and similar DACs via USB.

Miiman

There is a firmware update for version V1.23 of DX3 Pro+. Headphone users should update.

What's updated:
Fixed an issue where the built-in amp overload protection was too sensitive to prompt "HP ERR" under certain circumstances.
Nice, have not seen that error thought but i dont play loud or have demanding headphones. Will wait until some ppl in this thread can confirm the update works without issue until i update.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
There is a firmware update for version V1.23 of DX3 Pro+. Headphone users should update.

What's updated:
Fixed an issue where the built-in amp overload protection was too sensitive to prompt "HP ERR" under certain circumstances.
Update would not open on my Mac (M1 Air). Will try with a Windows laptop later.

Attachments

• topping_dx3_pro+_update_error.png
    topping_dx3_pro+_update_error.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 76

Toku

Major Contributor
Update would not open on my Mac (M1 Air). Will try with a Windows laptop later.
Did you download the file for the MAC?
There are two types of HP, one for Windows and one for MAC.

Attachments

• DX3 Pro+ V1.23.png
    DX3 Pro+ V1.23.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom