• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Shame that vendors are selling DX7's and then sending people DX7S
They must be losing their shirts on it though as I doubt there is that much margin in there.

chungjun

Shame that vendors are selling DX7's and then sending people DX7S

I did a search today on AliExpress... it's probably a listing mistake and they may have realized it by now. I don't think it's available anymore (as at time of posting).

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I did a search today on AliExpress... it's probably a listing mistake and they may have realized it by now. I don't think it's available anymore (as at time of posting).
Ah okay, well either way they are both great units. Its just a shame to not get what you ordered, especially when the DX7 comes with a remote and the DX7s doesn't.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

That is what I thought. These are all probably just drop shippers and they had not updated their listings to reflect the DX7 -> DX7s update.

Ah okay, well either way they are both great units. Its just a shame to not get what you ordered, especially when the DX7 comes with a remote and the DX7s doesn't.

Luckily I don't need a remote. I chose the DX7 based purely on Amir's comments that it was a better performer. I think I'll be happy with the DX7s.

Martin

Edit: Just did a little light listening on my HD598 headphones and the DX7s drives them just fine. I need to get a pair of balanced interconnects to try my Rokit 6 G3s. I'm happy.

Last edited:

Joe A

DX7S arrived yesterday from Aoshida (in place of the DX7), sans the remote. Enjoying everything immensely! Build quality, features, sound quality all exceeded my expectations. Many thanks to those on ASR that led me down the path to this great unit. Especially Jimster and Amirm!

Last edited:

Grave

Why use S/PIDF for the linearity test? The D30 has 18 bit performance in that test over USB.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why use S/PIDF for the linearity test?
Because until I purchased my new APX analyzer, linearity tests over USB were slow and tedious. Whereas S/PDIF was fully automated so when that output was available, I used it. With the newer analyzer this is not an issue and hence the reason you see USB most often tested.

NDRQ

Still no info about the power output of the headphone amp?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the DX7 or DX7s attenuate the volume when you use the coax out? IE: If I feed it with a digital signal source and then use coax out to my minidsp will it control the volume?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Does the DX7 or DX7s attenuate the volume when you use the coax out? IE: If I feed it with a digital signal source and then use coax out to my minidsp will it control the volume?
You can put it in a mode that will let you attenuate the volume.
if you put it in full DAC mode it will not adjust the volume.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply Jimster480. One thing that's always bugged me about my miniDSP 4x10 is not knowing where the volume actually is 0-90dB and anywhere in between. This would be an awfully expensive preamp just for volume control though especially if it bypasses the DAC for digital passthrough.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply Jimster480. One thing that's always bugged me about my miniDSP 4x10 is not knowing where the volume actually is 0-90dB and anywhere in between. This would be an awfully expensive preamp just for volume control though especially if it bypasses the DAC for digital passthrough.
Well its not a pre-amp because it doesn't have a Analog input.
You would have DAC + Volume control or standalone DAC.

Then you can control the volume with the remote aswell.

FunctionalDoc

I am having a problem with my DX7s when some times I use my Logitech wireless mouse by moving the cursor say in YouTube the unit audio will drop out and reset itself on the USB on the screen. It just drops audio then resets it self and shows USB PCM 44.1Khz. I have found sometimes that it does this with out touching anything the keyboard or the actual unit so I question if is it a static short out.

I am using Windows 10 Pro and using the Topping USB Audio driver v1.02 and the default setup is 32 bits.

Suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well its not a pre-amp because it doesn't have a Analog input.
Pardon me, digital attenuation then with selectable digital sources. :rolleyes:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I am having a problem with my DX7s when some times I use my Logitech wireless mouse by moving the cursor say in YouTube the unit audio will drop out and reset itself on the USB on the screen. It just drops audio then resets it self and shows USB PCM 44.1Khz. I have found sometimes that it does this with out touching anything the keyboard or the actual unit so I question if is it a static short out.

I am using Windows 10 Pro and using the Topping USB Audio driver v1.02 and the default setup is 32 bits.

Suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.
32 bit what?
32 bit audio samples?

What PC do you have? it could be a problem with your USB interface.

FunctionalDoc

32 bit what?
32 bit audio samples?

Under the Topping USB Audio Driver control panel in the Format tab output is set at the default 24 bits

What PC do you have? it could be a problem with your USB interface.

Dell XPS I7 24 Gigs of Ram

Top Bottom