• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Prof. Wolf posted measurements of this unit 8 days ago;
It seems this implementation of the AKM 4499EX is also showing the IMD hump which showed up in the measurements of the SMSL D400EX.

From what I can see it's basically the E70 with an AKM chip instead of ESS;

JSmith

MadMaxx

Mine was delivered today. :)

Will post my thoughts about it tomorrow or Thursday.

PXL_20221220_225722893.jpg

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
What thoughts are there to post? Its a DAC.
With respect, there are many items to comment on such as aesthetics, physical functions, usability, remote functions, connector quality etc.

I wasn't getting the impression we're in for a serve of "veil lifting" descriptors... hopefully not. :cool:

JSmith

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeap, it is well known that John Yang said many times that 'all dac-s sound the same'. Oh, wait...

A_T_O_M_I_C_Rooster

Forum Donor
Are there any good reasons to purchase this over the previous E70? I am thinking the actual listening differences are minimal.

MadMaxx

Are there any good reasons to purchase this over the previous E70? I am thinking the actual listening differences are minimal.
FWIW, I really haven't heard anything from my E70V that sounds any different from the SMSL D400EX I had for several weeks. Both sound good to me and the E70V was about $500 less expensive.

Last edited:

MadMaxx

After several days, I'm pretty pleased with my E70V. It's got a smooth, clear presentation that's similar to the D400EX. I haven't tried optical or RCA, but USB is good. I bumped it from 4V to 5V and set it on dac-only mode. I haven't heard the older E70, so can't comment on any differences/similarities. The E70V is a solid, no-frills dac at a decent price ($450 at Apos Audio).

EDIT: I should've noted that dac-only mode disables the rotary knob for volume adjustments. All other functions still work.

PXL_20221223_025106766.jpg

Last edited:
OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Don't think Amirm did many AKM 4499EX reviews yet. Hope he will do a Velvet review soon :)
There was this review, although running dual 4499EX;

JSmith

robertospeed

After several days, I'm pretty pleased with my E70V. It's got a smooth, clear presentation that's similar to the D400EX. I haven't tried optical or RCA, but USB is good. I bumped it from 4V to 5V and set it on dac-only mode. I haven't heard the older E70, so can't comment on any differences/similarities. The E70V is a solid, no-frills dac at a decent price ($450 at Apos Audio).

EDIT: I should've noted that dac-only mode disables the rotary knob for volume adjustments. All other functions still work.

View attachment 252251

I received the DAC today, but the DSD filter doesn't work for me, or maybe I don't know how to do it, does it work for you?

Top Bottom