• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower speaker upgrade advice (Vandersteen 2Ci)

cce32

Forum Donor
I have the itch to try different speakers in my 2 channel listening room which consists of a WiiM pro plus -> (2) Marantz MA-700 -> 2Ci
Room is 13' x 20' with vaulted ceilings and the listening area is off center so not bad according GIK who I sent my REW results.

Prior to finding this site I was leading towards used Vandersteen 3's but now considering Revel, probably F208 minimum for the bass and since my room is largish and the cost value vs higher end Revel's.

There are a few Revel available used but shipping costs are high, seems Crutchfield allows returns so maybe that is the way to go because my local "dealer" considers them custom orders so no returns.

Anyway, prior to getting myself into overchoice would be interested your opinions.

Thanks,
/Carl

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the itch to try different speakers in my 2 channel listening room which consists of a WiiM pro plus -> (2) Marantz MA-700 -> 2Ci
Room is 13' x 20' with vaulted ceilings and the listening area is off center so not bad according GIK who I sent my REW results.

Prior to finding this site I was leading towards used Vandersteen 3's but now considering Revel, probably F208 minimum for the bass and since my room is largish and the cost value vs higher end Revel's.

There are a few Revel available used but shipping costs are high, seems Crutchfield allows returns so maybe that is the way to go because my local "dealer" considers them custom orders so no returns.

Anyway, prior to getting myself into overchoice would be interested your opinions.

Thanks,
/Carl
Where are you located?

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
Do we have access to objective measurements for the Ascend Acoustics ELX towers?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we have access to objective measurements for the Ascend Acoustics ELX towers?

Ascend is generally considered one of the modern greats, and their manufacturer-published measurements are typically honest / close to 3rd party measurements. I haven't heard the speakers myself, but I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about them online so far. :)

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
OK, I have an appointment to audition the ELX towers but there are a-lot of Revel deals to be had both used and at online dealers...

Although I am starting to think since what really matters is how they sound in my room maybe I take Ascend and Crutchfield up on their return policies and do a 3 speaker test for myself.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I have an appointment to audition the ELX towers but there are a-lot of Revel deals to be had both used and at online dealers...

Although I am starting to think since what really matters is how they sound in my room maybe I take Ascend and Crutchfield up on their return policies and do a 3 speaker test for myself.
If you can get to listen to the speakers in your own room, that's the gold standard.

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
Wanted to follow up. I purchased the Ascend Acoustics ELX towers with the Ribbon tweeter. Got nice discounts for picking them up to avoid shipping and I selected "b" stock cherry because they are not currently happy with the quality of that finish.
But the important part is they sound amazing, REW in room curves are also smoother than my Vandersteens were.
I am still running them without my subwoofer, the difference in the low end still surprises me as the surface area of an 8" + 10" passive > than dual 6.5" but never the less the bass is improved.
I've been fine tuning positioning and auditioning a variety of music over the last few weeks and I really love them.
I agree with what others have said, you would be hard pressed to find more speaker for the money than these.
I highly suggest calling Dina at Ascend Acoustics if you have questions they were very easy to work with.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wanted to follow up. I purchased the Ascend Acoustics ELX towers with the Ribbon tweeter. Got nice discounts for picking them up to avoid shipping and I selected "b" stock cherry because they are not currently happy with the quality of that finish.
But the important part is they sound amazing, REW in room curves are also smoother than my Vandersteens were.
I am still running them without my subwoofer, the difference in the low end still surprises me as the surface area of an 8" + 10" passive > than dual 6.5" but never the less the bass is improved.
I've been fine tuning positioning and auditioning a variety of music over the last few weeks and I really love them.
I agree with what others have said, you would be hard pressed to find more speaker for the money than these.
I highly suggest calling Dina at Ascend Acoustics if you have questions they were very easy to work with.
i'm pretty much on the "buy ascend or philharmonic audio" train.... both companies are way ahead of the crowd for value...

radix

Major Contributor
$4.4k - $5.3k for a pair does look like a deal. Good sensitivity and max continuous power from the specs.

What do people think of the ribbon vs dome?

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
Congrats on the purchase! Did you wind up comparing them to the F208 at all?
I heard Revel's twice, both in non-ideal listening rooms

1) Floor model F208 at a HT shop, only option was connected dual chairs in the "room" they were in with like 5 other towers so I couldn't even sit in the center, I moved them around some and tried to use my own music but it was all a hassle with little help from the employees. They sounded fine but didn't wow me and I was told no returns if I ordered them.

2) Used F226BE at a high end shop that took them in on trade they sounded thin and sound stage was blah I blame this on the room and placement as the expensive gear they showed me in other rooms sounded amazing... $$$ gear

So while likely most of my opinion is confirmation bias as I liked the way I was treated at Ascend I do think the low end sounds better in the ETX but they are close enough that I think most would be happy with either brand.

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
$4.4k - $5.3k for a pair does look like a deal. Good sensitivity and max continuous power from the specs.

What do people think of the ribbon vs dome?
I only went back and forth once listening to them in the Ascend demo room as they are heavy towers and I felt kind of bad for the employee as she was running the whole warehouse and moving speakers for me.
Anyway I am not a golden ear, both sounded really good but I know myself if I pass on the ribbons to save $ it would gnaw at me and the horizontal dispersion difference is real.
I think in a blind test I could tell them apart but would have a hard time finding words to use to describe the difference.

My current configuration is PLP closer to the speakers than they are apart which is new for me, improves the staging, not much about 15", at least that is today :)

OP
C

cce32

Forum Donor
i'm pretty much on the "buy ascend or philharmonic audio" train.... both companies are way ahead of the crowd for value...
Oh man, I would have been in trouble if I had seen the BMR towers... I am a sucker for transmission lines!

Top Bottom