• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl madness

Wombat

Master Contributor
well, one could argue that VTF is the only thing that should change during ongoing setup, and considering the ambient temp in my place can vary quit a bit depending on season ...

(Even in the Nagoaka guide, they say that VTF and temp are important)

Do they give set-up data vs temperature and how does it affect performance over variable day-to-day temperatures? This is a question that may not have a definitive answer.

Use of thermo-elastic suspension materials that are significantly variable at normal environmental temperatures seems odd to me unless the optimum temp. is specified and a constant temperature room is employed- not exactly consumer friendly. Just my materials engineering knowledge getting me curious.
shrug.gif

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Do they give set-up data vs temperature and how does it affect performance over variable day-to-day temperatures? This is a question that may not have a definitive answer.

Use of thermo-elastic suspension materials that are significantly variable at normal environmental temperatures seems odd to me unless the optimum temp. is specified and a constant temperature room is employed- not exactly consumer friendly. Just my materials engineering knowledge getting me curious. View attachment 14937
I remember back in the 70's, HFNRR caught a well regarded, top B&O cartridge in the act of varying substantially in frequency response with not-uncommon ambient room temperature variations. They provided the alarming measurements and HFNRR were quite critical.

I believe the subsequent consequences were that HFNRR continued to look for this in testing other cartridges. I don't recall any other cartridges that caused a similar flap. And, B&O replaced that top of the line cartridge with a revised design in a hurry.

I am guessing materials are much better today, but is anybody really testing for this among other things, especially manufacturers?

Top Bottom