• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wanted: MiniDSP Ears

MRC01

Major Contributor
Hey folks, I sold my UMIK-1 to a member here and it all went smoothly, so I figured I'd see if anyone wants to get rid of a MiniDSP Ears. It seems the kind of thing you might buy and use to measure & tune your personal headphones, then no longer have a need for it. At least that is how I want to use it. So after buying it, I may be re-selling it to someone else here.

Or, maybe someone will let me borrow theirs, mail it to me. When I'm done I'll mail it to the next person who wants it. I think we're all trustworthy and can handle that. If folks want to do this, I'm willing to post an escrow of its value to insure whoever owns it from accident or loss. This thread could become an ordered list of interested folks...

Wunderphones

I have one that I purchased for an earphone DIY project that is on indefinite (but not permanent) hold. If you still want to start up a mail exchange like this, PM me and we'll figure something out.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Thanks to @Wunderphones, we've arranged a way to send his MiniDSP Ears on a round robin tour.
Rules of engagement:
  • We'll use this thread to track the sequence and where it is at any given time.
  • If you want to share in the round-robin, post a message here.
  • You'll be invited to a private conversation where you can share your address & name.
  • Each person pays the prior person for shipping.
  • Each person agrees to ship it to the next person promptly.
  • Each person agrees to replace the unit if he loses or damages it.
  • Deadline: if you want to join, post here before Nov 25, 2021 (US Thanksgiving).
  • Deadline: we will complete the entire round-robin before the end of June 2022.
  • It's honor system and works as long as we all do the right thing.
Note: to keep things simple, we plan to use a single private conversation for people's contact info. This will make it easier for us to keep track of things. But it also means all participants will be able to see each other's info.

Note: As this belongs to @Wunderphones, he reserves a veto on who can participate.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
@Wunderphones I received the package today. Securely packed, EARS unit and USB cable, arrived undamaged. I'll report back in a day or two after I've measured a couple of headphones. :D

Wunderphones

@Wunderphones I received the package today. Securely packed, EARS unit and USB cable, arrived undamaged. I'll report back in a day or two after I've measured a couple of headphones. :D

I guess I missed that you were testing headphones, though that makes the most sense. Make sure that you have some kind of strap that can press the earpads firmly up against the silicon fake ears. The cranium implied by the EARS unit would is infant-sized, and most headphones will have a big gap that lets all the bass out if you just let the headphones' own clamping pressure do the work.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
Initial results from the MiniDSP EARS with my headphones: 2 pair of 20-year old HD-580, and 1 pair Audeze LCD-2F with 2016 drivers. The HD-580s both have relatively fresh pads, though one is more fresh than the other.

On the MiniDSP EARS: the interaural distance is 13cm which is smaller than most adults. The ears are made of rubbery compliant silicone. Not as anatomically correct as a GRAS or similar device, but better than a simple flat plane mic. For those using it, the user manual and mic correction curves are free downloads from the MiniDSP web site. They offer 4 different calibration files for each mic (L and R):
  • HEQ - they recommend using this for EQ. Is "H" for "Harman"?
  • HPN - they recommend using this for comparison with professional measurements.
  • IDF - for use with IEMs (the HRTF for IEMs is different than for headphones)
  • RAW - correct for mic response only, no HRTF correction
I used the HEQ calibration curves. DIP switches in the center set the mic gain (default -18 dB). It plugs into a computer's USB and appears to the system as a stereo microphone. On my Ubuntu 18 system it was plug & play, no drivers needed. It works seamlessly with Room EQ Wizard. I measured each headphone at least 3 times, completely removing it from the stand and reinstalling it for each. Most of the time, the differences were never more than 1 dB, which surprised me (I expected bigger variations).

The measurements look mostly yet not entirely reasonable. Take the accuracy of the measurements with a grain of salt for a few reasons. The CSD plots, because I've never seen anything that clean and the decay time doesn't rise in the low frequencies as much as I normally see in professional measurements. The HD-580 showed a deep null at 5.8-6.0 kHz which I've never seen before in any other measurement, and it's not a fluke as it appeared on both of my units, consistently every time I measured, and this null did not appear on the LCD-2F. This null was like a black hole resistant to EQ: no amount of extra energy I added made any difference. All that said, here are my initial measurements:

Here are some plots for the two HD-580 headphones. Each individually was very consistent, but they measured differently from each other. They do stay within about 2 dB of each other. I suspect most of these differences are due to the pads on one being more fresh than the other.
FR-HD580-DualCompare.png

HD-HD580-Mike-avg.png

Distortion: as expected for HD-580, but the 4.5 kHz spike is unexpected, just touching 1% / -40 dB.

GD-HD580-R.png

This looks too good to be true, as the HD-580s impedance and phase has much bigger swings than this.

IMP-HD580-Mike-R.png

You can see the step response falls off quickly due to the lack of low frequency response.

CSD-HD580-R.png

This CSD looks suspiciously clean, especially in the low frequencies. Yet on second look it does rise in the lows relatively speaking as the top is dropping off. At 20 Hz the difference from top to blue is 40 dB (15 to 55) while at 1 kHz it's at least 65. The 120 Hz blip is probably my computer fan.

SP-HD580-R.png

Spectral decay is just a different view of the same thing, also suspiciously flat.

Now for the LCD-2F
FR-LCD2F-avg-eq.png

FR measured 3 ways: Blue: no EQ. Green: with 2 bands of gentle parametric EQ. Red: with the JDS Subjective 3, turning down the midrange knob. Based on the FR curve, here's how I set the parametric EQ:
  • 80 Hz, low shelf, +3 dB, Q=1.0
  • 3350 Hz, bell, +6 dB, Q=0.7
I picked 3350 because the dip ranges from 1.4 to 8 kHz. The geometric center is 3346 with a ratio of 2.39:1 on each side. The graph says to bump it about 8 dB but subjectively that sounded too bright, a 6 dB correction sounds about right. The graph is a useful guide but don't worship it. Everyone's HRTF varies from the standard.

HD-LCD2F-avg.png

Distortion: a relatively flat 0.2% (-50 to -55 dB) across the board even in the bass, as expected for the Audeze LCD series. The noise spike at 120 Hz and below 50 Hz is fan noise from my PC. Again we see a little spike at 4.5 kHz just like with the HD-580, maybe that is the EARS microphone?

GD-LCD2F-R.png

Group delay: flat as expected for a planar (flat impedance & phase vs. frequency).

IMP-LCD2F-R.png

Impulse looks decent with sustained step response, likely due to extended LF response.

CSD-LCD2F-R.png

CSD is suspiciously clean, same as with the HD-580. Doesn't look quite as clean as the HD-580, but this is misleading as the top line is flat. They're actually similar. At 20 Hz, top to blue is 45-50 dB and at 1 kHz it's about 70 dB (7 to 77). Again, the 120 Hz blip is probably my computer fan which also appeared in the distortion plot.

SP-LCD2F-R.png

Nothing much to see here, just a different view of the CSD.

Overall, the MiniDSP EARS is easy to use and seamlessly integrates with Room EQ Wizard. Even if its measurements are limited by the simple nature of this device, you can at least see if your headphones are working right and get some directional idea about frequency response and distortion. And that's all you really need for EQ, as it is an inexact science. Don't try to correct every nitnoid wiggle, but just correct the major deviations.

Any tips or suggestions, LMK. I've got this for a little while longer and I can try other stuff. I might measure the VSONIC VSD1S IEMs that I use when traveling.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
F*cking A! :D I was just toying with buying one. What's the postage to the UK??? My main motivation is to use it for balancing left & right channels throughout the frequency range for the headphones I own. I may also try using at as a means to establish my own preferred target curve. It's not a huge amount of money to buy one so it might be nice to have one permanently for future use.

Also, what's been your best usages for this device so far? I don't think it can replace GRAS & the Harman Curve, but I'm planning to use it for L/R matching and perhaps establishing my own target curve based on headphones that have been EQ'd to the Harman Curve & then tweaked by me, which I would then measure on this device as a means of me setting an EARs target curve for myself for EQ'ing other headphones.

EDIT: just ordered one, doesn't cost more than a mid range headphone and could be useful for the future. (So no need to send this round robin miniDSP Ears to me.)

Last edited:

Wunderphones

F*cking A! :D I was just toying with buying one. What's the postage to the UK??? My main motivation is to use it for balancing left & right channels throughout the frequency range for the headphones I own. I may also try using at as a means to establish my own preferred target curve. It's not a huge amount of money to buy one so it might be nice to have one permanently for future use.

Also, what's been your best usages for this device so far? I don't think it can replace GRAS & the Harman Curve, but I'm planning to use it for L/R matching and perhaps establishing my own target curve based on headphones that have been EQ'd to the Harman Curve & then tweaked by me, which I would then measure on this device as a means of me setting an EARs target curve for myself for EQ'ing other headphones.

EDIT: just ordered one, doesn't cost more than a mid range headphone and could be useful for the future. (So no need to send this round robin miniDSP Ears to me.)
I bought mine because I was planning to make CIEMs, and needed to analyze tuning changes. But I have also used it to measure my listening room.

The earphone readings I took matched Crinacle's readings quite closely, so at least for those in-ear applications I feel pretty confident. I don't have any way to know whether my listening room is properly compensated except that it sounds good.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought mine because I was planning to make CIEMs, and needed to analyze tuning changes. But I have also used it to measure my listening room.

The earphone readings I took matched Crinacle's readings quite closely, so at least for those in-ear applications I feel pretty confident. I don't have any way to know whether my listening room is properly compensated except that it sounds good.
Using them to measure your listening room? How can you do that? Measured with a mic in a room, speakers should be smooth downwards tilt ideally, but measured with miniDSP ears aren't you introducing another variable of inaccuracy when it comes to measuring speaker frequency response in a room?

EDIT: or are you talking about measuring your listening room with the miniDSP Ears in order to create a target curve for the miniDSP Ears that sounds like your speakers in your room? Although I suppose this is not that accurate either as it's not a full head (just a "hammer"), and the ear & ear canal anatomy are probably not that representative of human ears from what I read, so it' unlikely to be close to your own target curve. I'm expecting to be able to use the miniDSP ears for channel matching & "comparative data between units of the same headphone", and maybe an outside chance of creating my own target curve based on measuring Harman EQ'd headphones which have then been tweaked by me, but this latter point is less likely I think.

Last edited:
OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Also, what's been your best usages for this device so far? I don't think it can replace GRAS & the Harman Curve, but I'm planning to use it for L/R matching and perhaps establishing my own target curve based on headphones that have been EQ'd to the Harman Curve & then tweaked by me, which I would then measure on this device as a means of me setting an EARs target curve for myself for EQ'ing other headphones. ...
That's about right. You can test various headphones to ensure they're up to par and meeting their specifications: channel balance, distortion, frequency response.

Limitations: I don't entirely trust the over-the-ear headphones frequency response, as it showed a sharp dip at 5-6 kHz that doesn't actually exist with either of the ones I tested. This didn't happen with the in-ears, so I suppose it's a human head modeling inaccuracy of its flexible external ears or canals. This anomaly is narrow enough, you can simply ignore it or assume that 5-6 kHz is 6-8 dB higher than measured.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's about right. You can test various headphones to ensure they're up to par and meeting their specifications: channel balance, distortion, frequency response.

Limitations: I don't entirely trust the over-the-ear headphones frequency response, as it showed a sharp dip at 5-6 kHz that doesn't actually exist with either of the ones I tested. This didn't happen with the in-ears, so I suppose it's a human head modeling inaccuracy of its flexible external ears or canals. This anomaly is narrow enough, you can simply ignore it or assume that 5-6 kHz is 6-8 dB higher than measured.
I think I'd start out using the RAW compensation file, as I'm probably only gonna be using it as a comparative tool rather than an absolute take at face value measurement, and in that format it doesn't seem to have that dip anyway from a review I saw:
201808_he1000.png

As long as the fixture can provide reliable comparative frequency responses between different units of the same headphone model & their various EQ's, (and maybe to some extent some comparative data between different headphone models) then I would be happy with the purchase. And of course the channel balance data which could be used to create EQ's to match the channels. I'm not even too fussed about distortion measurements on this fixture as you can get that data from elsewhere for a lot of headphones, and I heard some reports that the miniDSP Ears may not be accurate when it comes to distortion measurements.

OP
MRC01

MRC01

Major Contributor
I think I'd start out using the RAW compensation file, as I'm probably only gonna be using it as a comparative tool rather than an absolute take at face value measurement, and in that format it doesn't seem to have that dip anyway from a review I saw:
As long as the fixture can provide reliable comparative frequency responses between different units of the same headphone model & their various EQ's, (and maybe to some extent some comparative data between different headphone models) then I would be happy with the purchase. ...
It could be useful for that. But know that the dip at 5-6 kHz is not due to the various compensation curves it has, because it appears with all of them. It appears to be related to its physical dimensions. That said, if you ignore this, it can certainly be useful for relative comparison.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It could be useful for that. But know that the dip at 5-6 kHz is not due to the various compensation curves it has, because it appears with all of them. It appears to be related to its physical dimensions. That said, if you ignore this, it can certainly be useful for relative comparison.
Yep, that's cool, but the 5-6kHz dip doesn't show in the graphs I showed you for instance, so it might not be a permanent characteristic of the miniDSP ears. It's something I'll bare in mind - I mean I've got 9 units of headphone from 5 different models that I'll be measuring on it so it will be interesting to see if that dip you saw occurs in all or any of them.

Top Bottom