• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Well I bought a Monoprice tube amp/dac

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
kPfmHpP.png

After a while if anyone is shows interest and if Amir wants to measure it I will send it to him. But give me a few weeks/month to enjoy it(or not).

OP
Rod

Rod

One thing I like about it is i already have vintage 6080 and 2c51 tubes around the house for it. No tubes to buy. Now hopefully I wont have problems with hum.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Which one?

OP
Rod

Rod

It was released just a few days ago. New product for Monoprice.

OP
Rod

Rod

I dont know. Not enough background in tube amps for me to answer. The reason I said I was worried about hum is I have had trouble with tube hum at this house in the past and the same amp in another location there was no hum. If it does, I know its not a problem of the amp just to let everyone know. Solid state amps have not been a problem.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do the tubes run on low plate voltages?

cjfrbw

Does it come with voice recognition?
download.jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

The power supply is internal, not an external brick. So I am assuming the plates have the correct voltage. I think your referring to the tubes that are more decoration than functional?

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

It sounds fine. No hum. I had some scratchiness in the sound but traced that down to charging my Apple ipad from a USB hub using the camera adapter. I then grabbed a USB wall wart charger and a different lightning cord and charged the ipad from that. The noise went away.
So far I like the bite in some music had decreased for sure and the warmer sound. I ended up putting a Gec 6as7g and two Chelmer 2c51's in it. Its a keeper. Looks like a mini computer. Heavy, 20.5 pounds.
20180906_170308_HDR.jpg
20180906_173146.jpg
20180906_200313.jpg

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
It sounds fine. No hum.

It does? With these specs?!?

Signal-to-Noise Ratio≤ 98dB (A weighted)

Total Harmonic Distortion< 1% @64 ohms

Only joking, I have tube amp myself so I know how little these specs mean. :)

P.S. Your RME ADI-2 DAC must be thinking it has done something really awfull in the previous life as it has been punished to drive this tube device with such ridiculously bad specs. Yet, I believe the SQ is just fine. :D

Last edited:

mi-fu

Forum Donor
it looks like a very interesting product with adjustable impedance, and can run as pre-amp too!

hope amir will be interested in measuring it in the future :D

OP
Rod

Rod

it looks like a very interesting product with adjustable impedance, and can run as pre-amp too!

hope amir will be interested in measuring it in the future :D
Built like a tank to. Looks like something you would take to a Lan party. Its got the same kinda build like the Factual Define R5 PC case below it. Very similar. The metal, paint,shape of it. Looks like the top and sides are one piece secured by screws and it can be removed for access to the guts..

OP
Rod

Rod

The tubes are melt your skin to the tube hot, or at least severe burns. Gotta let them cool before I take them out, I hope thats a clue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom