• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Not sure this is right place to post this... If so, please feel free to move this post.

Here is what it is about.
I am connecting my headphones to my computer via Bluetooth.
To do that I use an ASUS BT-400 USB Dongle (this is a desktop and the motherboard is a workstation motherboard so has no integrated BT or Wi-Fi).

Visiting the Amazon website, I see a lot of products called "USB emitters" (here's an example : Bluettoth emitter).

My question is quite simple : I will drive an aptx-hd enabled Bluettoth headphone.
Will these thing show a benefit (metter signal, nojerky sound, no interference with other BT devices...) over the ASUS BT-400 ?
They're not super cheap but reamin mostly affordable (40 to 70 dollars)...
So I was wondering if they will do any good and if anyone has experience/recommandation...

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

Regards.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Longer range. That's it.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Can it also improve "stability" ? I happens that my music sometimes... well I don't know how to describe it, but that I have some small artefacts appearing or some small glitches in sound.

If that may help, I'm a taker. But I'll wait for a little more opinions on this... If that does improve nothing at all, then it will be pretty easy : either I stick to my BT-400 stick or I go back to wired :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I happens that my music sometimes... well I don't know how to describe it, but that I have some small artefacts appearing or some small glitches in sound.

It could be a software/driver issues.

Where is the ASUS dongle plugged in? The back of the workstation? Maybe there's just a bit too much obstruction of the signal.

You could get a cheap USB 2.0 extension cable and keep the dongle in plain sight to see if it makes a difference. I had the reverse problem with my 2.4GHz mouse receiver, and that solution worked perfectly.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,
The problem is : I began to look at those BT Emitters when I tried to connect 2 devices to the same USB dongle : a BT Mouse and a BT headphone.
It turned out that this was impossible : as soona s I move the mouse, the sound is totally jerky. Like if the signal was turned on and off several times a second.
So I have to use 2 different Bluetooth adapters. Now I can have a mouse AND the BT Headphones together, but I hear some "artifacts" in the sound (like some buzz or quirks) when the mouse is moved again and claims the signal back :-(
As those things seem to have a signal independent of the computer I was wondering if that could help here...

But I'll begin to do as you advise and will hook up both USB dongles to 2 different USB ports... Right now they're sitting side by side on the same USB Dock...

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Since we're here, I also have another question about Bluetooth if you can answer that.

Let's assume I have a headphone that is not BT enabled and I would like to listen to it wirelessly.
I can buy one of those BT adapters... Time ago I bought 6 Xiaomi Bluetooth Audio adapters (they sold for 10€ and there was an offer : buy one get the second one for free, so got the 6 units for 30€...).

But there is one thing puzzling me.
If I hook up one of those to my Headphone and if I am able to play soud over it, I assume it must include :
- a headphone amplifier ;
- a chip that allows to decode the transmitted signal ;
- a DAC to convert the transmitted signal to analog electric impulses.

But weird enough on all adapters I see, there is no mention of the DAC or the outpout power...
Here is an example...
So what's the diffeence between of the those and one like those (topping or one from Fiio).

Am I wrong in my assumptions ?

I admit I am totally unskilled in BT Audio and so maybe I have it all wrong.

If you have some knowledge that you can share I'd be grateful.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If I hook up one of those to my Headphone and if I am able to play soud over it, I assume it must include :
- a headphone amplifier ;
- a chip that allows to decode the transmitted signal ;
- a DAC to convert the transmitted signal to analog electric impulses.

Yes, they are just an ultra low budget (and performance?) version of what you get from for instance a Topping DX3 Pro.

But weird enough on all adapters I see, there is no mention of the DAC or the outpout power...

They are targeting market segments who don't care :)

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers !

So if I want to turn a wired headphone to a wireless thing, I assume that those small things from Qudelix, A&K, Fiio or Shanling are the way to go.
If any of those is worth it, do you have a recommendation ?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I have used a couple of USB-based Bluetooth audio transmitters. They work as USB audio interfaces, so the host computer doesn't need a Bluetooth stack. The advantage was clear with systems where the Bluetooth stack is buggy or lacks features (Apt-x etc.).

For a portable receiver, Fiio BTR5 or BTR3 are fine in my experience. BTR5 is more reliable. I have not used other higher-end receivers.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used a couple of USB-based Bluetooth audio transmitters. They work as USB audio interfaces, so the host computer doesn't need a Bluetooth stack. The advantage was clear with systems where the Bluetooth stack is buggy or lacks features (Apt-x etc.).......

I agree. This can be a much better approach, particularly if you have headphones with aptX (including LL and HD). Standard USB 4/5 bluetooth adapters will not have these features, and can be prone to interference from other USB and Bluetooth devices...as you have experienced.

Audio Specific USB transmitters can provide better audio and aptX. I am using the 1Mii B10 currently and am very pleased with it. It is seen as a USB speaker by the PC, not a Bluetooth stack. They only transmit to Bluetooth Speakers/Headphones, not mice/keyboards. Avantree makes similar items, I am not sure how they compare.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I think I'll get me a BT Transmitter and a BT receiver to hook into my Headphones. And I'll take aptx-HD enabled ones.
The 1Mii B10 looks to be one of those things I would be looking for... I may go for it.

Because as I am now, as soon as I move, sound gets totally jerky... Connections losses and such things :-(

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I think I'll get me a BT Transmitter and a BT receiver to hook into my Headphones. And I'll take aptx-HD enabled ones.
The 1Mii B10 looks to be one of those things I would be looking for... I may go for it.

Because as I am now, as soon as I move, sound gets totally jerky... Connections losses and such things :-(
You should definitely plug the BT adapter for audio into a different USB port and not the dock. You can keep using the Asus BT-400 in the dock for the wireless mouse.

Absolutely agree with @Atanasi and @GGroch that the audio-only USB BT adapters that appear to the computer as soundcards rather than BT devices are the way to go for audio/music. I currently see the following options on Amazon US that will give you aptX HD (there may be more). I do not yet have any of them; I am still using the older non-USB third generation aptX HD devices such as the 1Mii B03 that you linked to. Still essential to get BT from my TV and Blu-ray player using Toslink. Still using one such with the 3.5mm Aux output of my desktop computer, but will switch this to one of the below soon.

A cheaper offering of what looks identical to the 1Mii BT10 that GGroch linked to (from the same seller! I see at least three listings of the BT10 from the same seller):
https://www.amazon.com/External-Adapter-Bluetooth-Latency-Headphone/dp/B08771QF74

Avantree DG60 has an antenna which may help with range and stability. Line of sight is also important with BT:
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Superior-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0881X4MB2

Creative BT-W3 from a company with a long history in computer audio:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089PYFLBN

Reiyin WT-HD06 (USB-A) and WT-HD05 (USB-C) (never came across this brand before):
https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-WT-HD06-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless/dp/B07S2HY2JB
https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-WT-HD06-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless/dp/B082VYBVVD
https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-WT-HD05-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless/dp/B07RX9RF8T

Recbot (seller) Zoweetek USB-A BT adapter (includes USB A-to-C converter). Never came across this brand before either. Not sure how they can claim aptX HD when the pics show CSR8670 when I thought CSR8675 is needed for aptX HD transmission. But the product description includes instruction on switching between aptX LL and aptX HD modes:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Latency-Transmitter-Headphone/dp/B08CMNB6HY

When it comes to BT receivers, I highly recommend using a receiver separate from the headphones. The BT codecs will likely change significantly with the upcoming BT 6.0 standard. With BT reception integrated into the headphones, you are stuck with just the one headphone, with a fixed BT implementation. It also adds to the weight of the headphone on your head. I prefer the separate receiver with weight in my shirt pocket, and only a cable running to the headphone as the extra weight. Allows me to change to any other headphones or earphones any time I want. The Qudelix-5K, FiiO BTR5 and Shanling UP4 appear to be the top choices as of now. I think they are all using ES9218P, so in principle they should perform similarly, but it depends on the implementation. I will likely get a couple of them. I currently alternate between two units of Earstudio ES100 that I have had since 2018 I believe. While I use one, I recharge the other to get effectively infinite battery life.

Never used BT for audio before 2018. Started with the first gen of aptX HD devices in early 2018. Two units of A&K XB10 both made clicking sounds at volume level 11 (the ideal volume setting) out of the box. Both died within a year. FiiO BTR3 functioned well, but also died wihin a year. The ES100 have been rock solid and pair very readily. But I am looking forward to replacing them with the ES9218P based receivers.

Per @Berwhale experiments and JClarkw's confirmation, the more expensive Shanling M0 with firmware upgrade would give you LDAC tranmission (higher bitrate than aptX HD) if your chosen receiver supports this codec. See the thread below for details
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-hd-from-windows-10-pc-to-topping-d50s.14215/

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a list of LDAC capable transmitters (including the M0) in this article: https://medium.com/gadghub/feeding-your-ldac-headphones-155a0307c51a

I didn't think to try this before, but here's the M0 running as a USB DAC connected to my BTR3 using LDAC (White Fiio logo indicates LDAC codec)...

20201101_001636 (Small).jpg

The M0 also connects to my Galaxy Buds+ and works great.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

There's a list of LDAC capable transmitters (including the M0) in this article: https://medium.com/gadghub/feeding-your-ldac-headphones-155a0307c51a

I didn't think to try this before, but here's the M0 running as a USB DAC connected to my BTR3 using LDAC (White Fiio logo indicates LDAC codec)...

View attachment 90550

The M0 also connects to my Galaxy Buds+ and works great.
Excellent article! Thanks for linking it! I own HiBy R3 Pro, Hidizs AP80 and Shanling M0 (all of them purchased when each first came out), but so far I have not tried to use them as LDAC transmitters. I am going to look into switching from aptX HD to LDAC which is looking promising.

The Shanling M0 can act as a USB-DAC and transmit LDAC. The Qudelix-5K, FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4 and Topping BC3 can all receive and decode LDAC. I can use one of the first three clipped to my shirt pocket for headphones and earphones. I have my Topping D90 DAC directly attached via USB cable to my old computer with most of the music files. I can use a Shanling M0 plugged into my new computer to transmit, and a Topping BC3 to receive and decode LDAC and output via Toslink optical to the D90. Seems like a done deal.

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

With respect to @PenguinMusic second question and the DAPs in the Medium article; note that the Fiio M5 won't do the same trick as the M0 of working as a USB DAC and transmitting audio over Bluetooth at the same time...

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/263853.html

Hi,

Does that mean that I can connect the M0 to my computer and "stream" files from my computer to the M0 and that this will then play those files over BT to my Headphone ?

If so, that is a really nice perspective... especially for the price !

Regards.

EDIT : think I have the answer on the previous post... That sounds really really interesting ! Only question : when the M0 is used as a DAC can it output something else than LDAC over BT ?

Last edited:
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi guys,

You cannot possibly know how grateful I am for all your posts here and links submitted.

Unfortunately, I had already ordered some stuff that should allow aptx HD over any headphone.
But good news is : I ordered all this on Amazon and so can return it pretty easily in case I want to switch to LDAC.

The headphones I use are following :
- B&O H9 (BT enabled already but don't think it supports aptx HD) ;
- B&W P7 Wireless (also aptx but not HD... Sound is really on the "lbassy side" but a really small EQ correction makes this more listenable !) ;
- Oppo PM-3 (rarely used. I think it's clamping force is a little too much and thus I can't wear for longer times. Besides it's 3.5mm input makes it tricky to get a 3.5 cable to fit in) ;
- Audioquest Nighthawk : no BT and dual input :-( so 1 cable to each earcup. But, superb sound to my ears.
- Philips X2-HR : no BT ; supreme wearing comfort ; open back ; gorgeous sound to my ears ; really affordable... Considering the X3 as a replacement ! If it is superior to X2 in sound quality, and can be driven BT with an adapter, I'll be glad...

I'll let you know about the updates when I receive the ordered stuff...

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Last edited:
Top Bottom