• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I actually like them a lot.

Main thing about them is that they are somewhat tuned differently from previous TOTL KZ models. If you're on Head-fi, read up B9scrambler's review. That's pretty close to my impressions of it.

Key take away from me : It doesn't have the nasty sibilance of the ZS6. Its a detailed but polite sounding profile, in that the layering and details are excellent but not the "in your face" kind like the ZS6. Its all there but a little rolled-off in the background treble. If it fits you well, its a profile that's suited for multi-hour sessions.
The same thing is found on the lower end of the spectrum, enough bass for most music but not quite the deep and empowered rumble of the ZS6. Again.. polite low end.

The emphasis seems to be "refinement" rather than "energetic fun " as per previous TOTL KZ's and a little on the "warm" side of things.

Guermantes

Just a coincidence . . .
DSOTM SACD.jpg

Guermantes

On the DAP this morning while on the bus:
argerich.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (1977/Asylum)

1527120668252.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ephraim Lewis - Skin (1992/Elektra)

1527416298154.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Freeway Philharmonic (1988/Spindletop)

1527455284084.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
McCoy Tyner, New York Reunion -- first time I've had a chance to just listen to an album in a while, and first time in a long tie to an SACD. This one is pretty good; at the moment I am listening to the sax solo on "Ask Me Know" and it is really good (IMO).

For some reason I was unable to rip it to my NAS, however; it locks up my PC (Win10, latest updates) and led to a day of he!! yesterday trying to fix things after trying to piddle with the latest MS update. the update worked OK on my desktop, but blue-screened my notebook, and my ripping SW is only on my notebook. :( Eventually, hopefully, I'll be able to rip it -- first time I have had problems (though SACDs get ripped as CDs, not sure dBpoweramp handles SACDs...)

iu

Guermantes

Eventually, hopefully, I'll be able to rip it -- first time I have had problems (though SACDs get ripped as CDs, not sure dBpoweramp handles SACDs...)
Unfortunately, ripping the SACD layer requires specific hardware (old PS3 or Blu-Ray models), software and a fair bit of patience . . .

On the DAP this morning:
cover.jpg

Top Bottom