• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dynamic recording

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Most delightful album brought me peace and relaxation while performing the last review by Zazie Von Einem Anderen Stern

1529308477514.png

Absolutely delightful.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Soulful electro beats from kiasmos
Are they musicians or button pushers? I dont see talent here if there just using electronics to rearrange pre-recorded music. Or maybe I dont see the band in the background? They bounce there heads really good though.

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Are they musicians or button pushers? I dont see talent here if there just using electronics to rearrange pre-recorded music. Or maybe I dont see the band in the background? They bounce there heads really good though.
I’m not one for snobbery.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are they musicians or button pushers?

My Audio Buddy didn't care much for piano/keyboard players, since they were just pushing buttons...

I generally don't care much for electronic sounds, they've got no soul...

"Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music." - FZ

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My Audio Buddy didn't care much for piano/keyboard players, since they were just pushing buttons...

I generally don't care much for electronic sounds, they've got no soul...

"Anything can be music, but it doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music." - FZ
Sorry guys, I guess I pushed some bottons of disregreement. Its just that in my field of skilled trades, there is no middle ground. Either you know how to do the skill, or you dont survive. It would be like me saying I was a professional crane operator because I could operate a remote control toy crane. Some of the guys and gals are the 1% in my field, and I must say they made me aware of my standing in the skills department. The competition is fierce.
That's were skilled trades and the art diverge, I see some of the best musicians and songwriters that do not get the recognition they deserve and the ones without the necessary skill(that would fail in my field) that needs auto tuners and computer electronics and music mills for song writing get pushed to the top. For example jazz, even though its not my favorite genre, the skill they exhibit I admire because the commitment it would take to get there. Watching the movie whiplash kinda gave me the idea of what it takes. The real drummer in the movie blew me away at his skill.
I do apologize for being rude Thomas, It did come across as being kinda of an asshole.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Theo

Are they musicians or button pushers?
Lots of buttons, though. Playing samples and loops may not be as easy as it seems. I'm no expert, so feel free to contradict. Nice beat, anyway, even if there is no spectacular skills at play. Have you noticed how easy to play jazz musicians make it look (good ones).

Guermantes

Ólafur Arnalds is one half of Kiasmos and is an award-winning composer for TV (Broadchurch) and has done a classical crossover collaboration with pianist Alice Sara Ott. Perhaps the talent is more behind the scenes than up-front . . .

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ólafur Arnalds is one half of Kiasmos and is an award-winning composer for TV (Broadchurch) and has done a classical crossover collaboration with pianist Alice Sara Ott. Perhaps the talent is more behind the scenes than up-front . . .
I've forgotten the name of the other one, but he has a similar background. They are both composers and proper musicians, this is their side project. I'm a big fan of Olafur's work, especially ...and they have escaped the weight of darkness. Live electronica is always an odd spectacle, best to listen and dance, not look.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to the recommendation from Amir above reminded me of the below, not sure why it's not that similar, and listening to it for the first time in a long time didn't clear it up, good record though.
iBShPn1.png

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've forgotten the name of the other one, but he has a similar background. They are both composers and proper musicians, this is their side project. I'm a big fan of Olafur's work, especially ...and they have escaped the weight of darkness. Live electronica is always an odd spectacle, best to listen and dance, not look.
P.S.

ripvw

Forum Donor
New to computer audio, so have downloaded hundreds of albums on Tidal HiFi desktop app from ABBA to ZZ Top in the last week. Been listening mostly to classic rock albums in 88.2k or 96k Master format but also lots of Mozart and Beethoven in the same format. Cancelled my new Amazon Unlimited Music account and will soon do the same with my Apple Music account. Probably not buying too many more RedBook CDs in the future either.

was listening to the Tom Petty catalog earlier today - great stuff at 96k

Top Bottom