• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What can you talk about?

DanielT

Major Contributor
What do you do when you become active on a forum (regardless of the forum's main topics)?How carefully do you read through the forum's general policies regarding topics that may be addressed? What you can write or not.

To reconnect to ASR, I have not directly explored what applies here at ASR. I have mostly reasoned like this:
I'm not a racist, so I do not have to worry about talking about that.
I'm not directly interested in talking politics here, so I do not have to worry about talking about that

More than that, let me be honest, I have not read through any rules /policies what and how to debate ASR. Have you?

Attachments

• 20220129_165750798.jpeg
    20220129_165750798.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 88

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio and Science? :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Audio and Science? :)
Sure, but when it comes to the borderland. Example, discussion how to relate to Spotify regarding their decision to keep anti waxers. #207

There will always be gray areas. :)

Song: "Complaint for Ste. Catherine"

".... We have been doing politics for a long time ...."

Or as one might interpret it: No one escapes politics.:)

Anyway .Have you read the rules of ASR, what you can and cannot write?

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
More than that, let me be honest, I have not read through any rules /policies what and how to debate ASR. Have you?

Nope, not much on that...

In general, what's not acceptable here is like the old Supreme Court quote about obscenity...its hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

Subjects that have controversial politics are not going to be welcome.

Subjects that have been beaten to death with plenty of Acrimony thrown in at every chance aren't going to be welcome (MQA).

Etc.

We aren't going to ever have a comprehensive list...

If in doubt about a new subject, you can always send a PM to Adam or me.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you do when you become active on a forum (regardless of the forum's main topics)?How carefully do you read through the forum's general policies regarding topics that may be addressed? What you can write or not.

To reconnect to ASR, I have not directly explored what applies here at ASR. I have mostly reasoned like this:
I'm not a racist, so I do not have to worry about talking about that.
I'm not directly interested in talking politics here, so I do not have to worry about talking about that

I will attest that I haven't read any of the forum policies when I joined ASR. Alas, the only thing that I've stuck to and have kept to is to discuss all things related to the topic of the thread in the context it's presented and the prescience of the subject that's being discussed. Everything else is a non-starter. Forum's such as these have and are social gathering places for like-minded individuals, and many of us strive to keep our opinions to ourselves unless required to present them with facts. Many forget to indulge in meaningful conversation at times, and instead engage in detrimental conduct that usually gets them in trouble.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
No, I haven't. I think that if common sense and a modicum of civility don't get me through, then it's not the sort of place where I wish to tarry.

One other thing to remember: in a room full of balloons, there will always be some people who enjoy being pricks pins. Jim Taylor
What music do you think is best to have sex with?

Too explicit?

Music for romance?

Demarcation, what is appropriate to say or not.:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

What music do you think is best to have sex with?

Too explicit?

Music for romance?

Demarcation, what is appropriate to say or not.:)

Long ago, I heard a comment, ostensibly from some famous person, that went something like this: "You can never say the wrong thing if you keep your mouth shut." Whoever that person was, they possessed wisdom. Jim

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Nope, not much on that...

In general, what's not acceptable here is like the old Supreme Court quote about obscenity...its hard to define, but I know it when I see it.

Subjects that have controversial politics are not going to be welcome.

Subjects that have been beaten to death with plenty of Acrimony thrown in at every chance aren't going to be welcome (MQA).

Etc.

We aren't going to ever have a comprehensive list...

If in doubt about a new subject, you can always send a PM to Adam or me.
I'm most interested in general. And I think, observe think, that most people do as I do when they become active on a forum. Maybe skimming through the rules. BUT I do not know, hence my question in this thread. .

Note. I'm just generally curious. For example here at ASR I have no need in myself to discuss politics, .:)

Edit:
By the way, I would like to have recorded that I think you moderators here at ASR do a very good job.:)
I say that not just because..., what is it called in English, ..the proverb..Kissing ass ?. Maybe it was from a sex movie that I picked it up but never mind, you do a good job, I really think so.:)

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Long ago, I heard a comment, ostensibly from some famous person, that went something like this: "You can never say the wrong thing if you keep your mouth shut." Whoever that person was, they possessed wisdom. Jim
I forget where I first heard this but a similar maxim to what you quoted:
  • "A smart man knows what to say; a wise man knows when to say it."

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always read the fine print haha!

So I have always read the ToS for every video game I ever purchased, any online game I ever played, forums, subscriptions, anything involving an electronic payment (whether automated/scheduled or not), "free trials" or similar, etc. I don't like surprises. If the terms seem to be somewhat open to interpretation, I assume worst case for me and best case for the other party just to be on the safe side. If that makes me uncomfortable due to possible risk, then I will not purchase or participate.

ASR seems pretty simple to me with regard to the rules. There are only a few contentious topics, and they've been spelled out pretty plainly time and again (and even there, it's not necessarily the topics themselves, but rather the way people tend to engage when discussing those topics). Beyond that, try to engage with the idea/topic and not the person where you are in disagreement, and I don't think you're likely to ever have an issue. There are plenty of members who 'disagree' with various aspects that are generally 'part of the culture' here at ASR, but the majority of them get along just fine, because they engage with other members in good faith, whereas the 'trolls' eventually 'out themselves' by showing clear bad faith in their posts.

You mention 'how to debate,' which in my view is perhaps not the best way to approach a forum such as this. If you are looking for debate, you might be (or might appear to be) in a confrontational mindset that puts you on a path that conflicts with the 'good order and community/collegiality' aspects that are important here. As is often pointed out, tone is difficult to convey via text, so even 'fun' debate can seem unduly argumentative/aggressive/hostile to other readers, even if that isn't your intent. If you approach the site with the goal of sharing/learning/conversing/entertaining, then I think you're unlikely to ever run into any issues with other members or with moderators.

I mostly 'lurk' and read for entertainment/enlightenment or to examine and understand what areas matter most to me and contribute most to my enjoyment of my music. The more I can correlate my knowledge and what I read with my experiences, the easier it is for me to get things right quickly and easily and with the least time/expense/aggravation, thus allowing me to get on with the important thing for me, the music itself.

Just my 2 cents, and back to lurking I go! haha!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
If you come here with the attitude/approach of making and nurturing new Friends you will be welcome with open arms. Conversely, if you come here to do battle and make enemies with every post. Your stay will be brief.

If your in the first camp and overstep, you will get a friendly nudge from the Moderation Team. Your own friendliness will be returned in kind. Same goes for the opposite. Them’s the rules. In essence. Equal force can be expected and not just from the Moderation Team.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The older I get the more I think things about stuff and the less I have to say about that. :D Sometimes it's just better to not get involved or offer opinions. But then there are peeps that are outspoken and hit the right buttons and people like it.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The moment you get an IP ban, you know you should have done so :)
That's life.:)

Who really reads the fine print when I get involved on various sites online? You only behave generally socially accepted. It usually, normally, always resolves itself.

Oops but wait, now I've read the rules for ASR, carefully, and they are quite ok, they are accepted. :)

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm most interested in general. And I think, observe think, that most people do as I do when they become active on a forum. Maybe skimming through the rules. BUT I do not know, hence my question in this thread. .

Note. I'm just generally curious. I have no need in myself to discuss politics, for example here at ASR.:)

Imagine yourself in a room with 20 people from 20 countries, representing 10+ different religions, a variety of educational backgrounds from none to post doc, with vastly different governmental systems and perspectives on things like freedom and fundamental 'rights.' Have some of them be from countries at war, some from poverty, and maybe one or two in the 'filthy rich' category.

Now assume English is a second (or third, or fourth) language for half of them.

Pick any subject that wouldn't lead to high passion and possibly bloodshed after a short time and you are on the right track. ;)

Some enjoy stirring up and exploring controversy, which is fine, just don't do it here.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Science debates can be rough as well, however. I guess this is decided from case to case. Narrow or wide dispersion, anyone? :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Science debates can be rough as well, however. I guess this is decided from case to case. Narrow or wide dispersion, anyone? :)

As long as it's audio science, we can usually muddle through. Mask or vaccine or gender or political science? Not the place.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine yourself in a room with 20 people from 20 countries, representing 10+ different religions, a variety of educational backgrounds from none to post doc, with vastly different governmental systems and perspectives on things like freedom and fundamental 'rights.' Have some of them be from countries at war, some from poverty, and maybe one or two in the 'filthy rich' category.

Now assume English is a second (or third, or fourth) language for half of them.

Pick any subject that wouldn't lead to high passion and possibly bloodshed after a short time and you are on the right track. ;)

Some enjoy stirring up and exploring controversy, which is fine, just don't do it here.

Where does pineapple pizza fit on the topics scale?

Top Bottom