• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is "good enough"?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I got many setups in most of the rooms of my house, but this is my main music setup while programming minidsp a while ago. It's the only picture i have at the moment (i'm on holiday).

View attachment 302237
speakers are diy, one is a waw with a Mark Audio 10.3 top and a Scanspeak 26W8534G00 woofer, the other is an MLTL with the Mark Audio CHN110. In the corner you see my Goodman Mezzo SL's standing, disconnected at that time. Sources are a custom pc running JRiver on windows 10, a cheap old Hama streamer (for FM/DAB and webradio) and an original Technics SL1500 tunrtable with an AT-VM95En cell and a Cambridge CP2 phono stage. all come toghetter to the MiniDSP flex that does crossover when needed, room correction and dac. The WAW has a Prima Luna Prologue 4 tube amp on top and a Audiophonics MPA-S125NC power amp on the woofer, the CHN110 is feeded with a semi diy (heavy modded from original) tube preamp and a Audiophonics MPA-S125NC power amp.

This is one of my setups, there are more in my office, bedroom, kitchen and workshop that are all at least partially diy.

Very nice, I like it. I also used to have a lot of homemade stuff around, but after the last two moves and because I'm older and more or less done with everything, I've cleared out mercilessly and have only boring audio-setups compared to before. Sometimes I mourn old things and even my wife regrets that I gave away the speakers of my own design.

OP
M

mppix

I am super wealthy and I am genuinely delighted to be outside of any puerile attempt to stereotype me.
We are just having fun with the boys. You can afford it.

Last edited:
OP
M

mppix

Very nice, I like it. I also used to have a lot of homemade stuff around, but after the last two moves and because I'm older and more or less done with everything, I've cleared out mercilessly and have only boring audio-setups compared to before. Sometimes I mourn old things and even my wife regrets that I gave away the speakers of my own design.
Why not build new ones? I would follow your process if you care to share it here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know a number of super wealthy. Some of them have the exact same spending constraints as those with modest means, theirs are just self imposed.
That is partly how they got super wealthy.
I've seen that, too. Despite what our trolls think, having money does not mean you throw it off bridges and buy cable risers just in case they work. Some thought goes into every purchase.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I am super wealthy and I am genuinely delighted to be outside of any puerile attempt to stereotype me.

Gina, is that you?

Waxx

Major Contributor
I know superwealthy people that i helped to downsize and get realistic good speakers. One of them, of old nobility but a friend from my youth, went from Wilson Audio towers and super expensive amps to a JBL M2 setup amped with (custom build) Purifi amps and with a MiniDSP flex as crossover. Total cost is about 20K, in stead of over half a milion for his old setup, and he likes it way more. But he still uses a +5million € supercar as daily driver and lives in an old castle with dozens of staff to maintain it ....

But his sister, who is almost as wealthy as he, lives in an old farm somewhere in south America, and is way more happy there between the plebs, than in castles of mansions of the superrich. She also got staff, but also works herself on the field, and loves doing it. And very few will know how rich she is, because she prefers the ordinary life, not the life of the superrich old noblesse where she was born into... I think she still got the old Cerwin Vega speakers/Crest amp setup she used when she was young and does not care about "better".

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know superwealthy people that i helped to downsize and get realistic good speakers. One of them, of old nobility but a friend from my youth, went from Wilson Audio towers and super expensive amps to a JBL M2 setup amped with (custom build) Purifi amps and with a MiniDSP flex as crossover. Total cost is about 20K, in stead of over half a milion for his old setup, and he likes it way more. But he still uses a +5million € supercar as daily driver and lives in an old castle with dozens of staff to maintain it ....

But his sister, who is almost as wealthy as he, lives in an old farm somewhere in south America, and is way more happy there between the plebs, than in castles of mansions of the superrich. She also got staff, but also works herself on the field, and loves doing it. And very few will know how rich she is, because she prefers the ordinary life, not the life of the superrich old noblesse where she was born into... I think she still got the old Cerwin Vega speakers/Crest amp setup she used when she was young and does not care about "better".
"Who is rich? He that rejoices in his portion". -Benjamin Franklin

Corollary: if you are rich and unhappy, you're actually still poor. Get your heads on straight, moneybags! ;)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People are people their personalities vary. I have worked in several early stage medical device startups. I know several venture capitalists who where on the BOD, two now are owners national sports teams in large US metropolitan locations. One of them was a son of a billionaire and the other brought him self up from upper middle class beginnings. The second guy now has several lavish homes in lavish locations, a rare Italian sports car collection and someone to drive him everywhere. The billionaire's son has two very very nice homes in prestigious locations, three or four very nice cars that he drives around himself and has endowed several schools for special needs children as his lifes work in the off season. Both had very down to earth approachable personalities when I worked with them. To stereotype people based on wealth can be misleading.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To stereotype people based on wealth can be misleading.
Sure. How many dollars does an actual a-hole have? Can't honestly answer that question. Some a-holes are dirt poor and some rich folks are quite lovely.

How many dollars does it take before I get jealous and call you an a-hole? Well, not as many as you'd think. ;)

Top Bottom