• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Cooking? Show us Your Plated Food Photos!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's this: https://mykoreankitchen.com/sundubu-jjigae/

Whenever I've had it, it's been a medium-hot seafood + tofu stew, ideally served straight off the fire and still bubbling.

I've never tried making it myself, but I have a portable gas stove just like the one depicted in the article, and H-Mart stores ought to carry the other items.
YummmmY! Looks great. I don't even know if there is a Korean restaurant nearby. But with this I would certainly go there.
9.-Sundubu-Jjigae-Korean-spicy-soft-tofu-stew.jpg

6.-Sundubu-Jjigae-Korean-spicy-soft-tofu-stew.jpg

8.-Sundubu-Jjigae-Korean-spicy-soft-tofu-stew.jpg

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The traditional (Chuck) Pot roast, potatoes (red and yellow russet) red and yellow onions, celery, baby carrots, Worcestershire,
fresh ground pepper, pink salt, cumin, vinegar and 1/2 cup of Gallo burgundy. The 2 chuck roast are soaked in the vinegar,
wine, Worcestershire and pepper over night. That is added along with a hearty wipe of fresh olive oil just pressed from
a buddies orchard in Rio Vista, on the inside of the Dutch oven. (Dripping is good) about 1/8 a cup.

7 quart Dutch oven. 350 for 3 hours or so. No need to cut anything, just spoon out the meat
it falls apart but the potatoes and carrots hold their shape and cut with a fork.

Old fashion goodness. My apologies to the non connivers, the steer should have been a little quicker and
stayed a BULL. What can I say. Lord thanks for the good food! Amen!

Attachments

• 20240405_164947[1].jpg
    20240405_164947[1].jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 26

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday, I went out for another bowl of dan dan noodles (AFAIK, it's never a bad idea).
_DSC5767.jpg

And lest anyone think I've become one track-minded, I went out for ramen today. Had been meaning to visit Rakkan Ramen for some time, and only just got around to it. Not bad! I wish they maintained Japanese pricing too, but in the USA, I guess you can't source ingredients like niboshi (dried sardines) and konbu (dried seaweed) from next door.
_DSC5803.jpg

Mikig

E56C1D47-FA5E-459E-AF3C-8C47027A0681.jpeg

the meat was better than the photo!! A few days ago we took the opportunity to cook this Fiorentina with our electric grill: very easy to use and I must say that it cooks well. Piedmontese meat, low cut. Tender and very tasty. The asparagus, microwaved for 5 minutes, in a bowl with a drop of water and closed with cellophane. then put back on the grill.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
View attachment 362811

the meat was better than the photo!! A few days ago we took the opportunity to cook this Fiorentina with our electric grill: very easy to use and I must say that it cooks well. Piedmontese meat, low cut. Tender and very tasty. The asparagus, microwaved for 5 minutes, in a bowl with a drop of water and closed with cellophane. then put back on the grill.

That is a gorgeous backyard you have there. I have had a Fiorentina before, when I was in Florence. If i'm not mistaken, they use retired dairy cows so the meat is more flavourful but also tougher. They also cook it only "enough" so that it is still blue with a nice char on the outside. The waiter warned me when I was ordering the steak, "are you sure you don't want it medium rare? Most tourists think it is too blue". I said that I want to have it the way Italians have it. He said that he will get the chef not to slice the steak so that it can go back on the grille if it was not to my liking. Ordering it the way Italians like it was a mistake - it was too blue. So it went back on the grille.

So my question - how blue did you cook the steak? Blue like an Italian Fiorentina, or medium rare like a Fiorentina for a tourist? ;) I am going to guess you cooked it for a while, I can see all the liquid pooling on top of the meat suggesting it is not blue.

And BTW I microwave my asparagus for 90 seconds only. I prefer a raw crunch. I would expect asparagus which has been microwaved for 5 minutes to look limp as heck, but yours doesn't.

Mikig

That is a gorgeous backyard you have there. I have had a Fiorentina before, when I was in Florence. If i'm not mistaken, they use retired dairy cows so the meat is more flavourful but also tougher. They also cook it only "enough" so that it is still blue with a nice char on the outside. The waiter warned me when I was ordering the steak, "are you sure you don't want it medium rare? Most tourists think it is too blue". I said that I want to have it the way Italians have it. He said that he will get the chef not to slice the steak so that it can go back on the grille if it was not to my liking. Ordering it the way Italians like it was a mistake - it was too blue. So it went back on the grille.

So my question - how blue did you cook the steak? Blue like an Italian Fiorentina, or medium rare like a Fiorentina for a tourist? ;) I am going to guess you cooked it for a while, I can see all the liquid pooling on top of the meat suggesting it is not blue.

And BTW I microwave my asparagus for 90 seconds only. I prefer a raw crunch. I would expect asparagus which has been microwaved for 5 minutes to look limp as heck, but yours doesn't.

Thank you!
yes, in Italy everyone wants Fiorentina almost raw inside.
Normally they are taller, about 4 fingers, and the tendency is to scallop it and serve it with an hot soapstone in order to personalize the cooking. Clearly we at home took the easy way out.
It must be said that we buy these, two fingers high because they remain a little more cooked and warm inside.my lady doesn't like meat that's too blue.
I don't think my home microwave is too fast: a cup of water for tea takes 1:45 minutes.
I spend between 4 and 5 minutes with asparagus, depending on the size. With meat I prefer them "al dente" with eggs for example I prefer them softer so I add more water and give them extra cooking time.

Mikig

0FCC725F-43DC-49C8-8239-6AE6856CEDBD.jpeg

Very quick meat meal!!

today it's the turn of the seared carpaccio.
Thin slices of “scottona” placed on a baking tray, seasoned with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt and parmesan flakes. It is baked in the highest part of the oven under the hot grill, when the parmesan melts it is ready.
5 minutes to prepare and 3 minutes to cook. PS if you want the slices both raw and cooked, place them creased on the baking tray. The hidden parts will be rare.
use the side dish you prefer, preferably already cooked!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've only had a couple of these (once in downtown Florence and once in a 'local' restaurant in the hills), but we were not asked about doneness either time. I do not remember thinking there were any issues with the way the steaks were cooked. But I do enjoy steaks that are still mooing...

But as good as the steaks are, the pappardelle con cinghiale stole my heart. During trips I branched out from Tuscan versions and found that places in Umbria do a damn fine job with it as well. it's a PITA finding it in the US (usually just a special a few times per year), so we generally DIY it.

Top Bottom