• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which android phone to get?

stringham

Amazing. Again, how on earth is that profitable? It is not like they can do anything with an old phone like 4a?
And Google Fi is month to month, so they don't even get the promise of a recurring revenue stream.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wavelet works well for me with Deezer, but you may have issues with Amazon Music, according to that link.
Wavelet works with amazon if you select legacy mode iirc

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I had the Pixel 6 Pro and it was a flawed phone. Got the S22 Ultra instead. Samsung's One UI is better and doesn't feel at all bloated. The hardware is far superior too.

al2002

You get Pixel updates pretty much monthly or as soon as they come out. Samsung also currently does this. I've gotten maybe once a month or two with my current Samsung. Just had one two days ago, and the previous one was early December. Yes earlier and still for most brands of Android you don't get much in the way of updates.

Amended to say security updates are monthly. OS updates are pretty quick, but those aren't monthly.
Pixel gets a monthly security update (normally anyway). OS updates aren't as often.
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like Android has got serious about security. When I had my Note3, I don’t recall a single security update, let alone OS update, over a period of three years

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At this rate might as well wait for Samsung S23 announcement on February 1. Even if you don't want to buy that, I am hoping for more discounts from competitors due to that announcement.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very late to this thread, but I advise against messing with the Google-branded devices. Having been a loyal user of Google Pixel and their predecessor Nexus devices since the start of 2013, I have witnessed a decline in quality, and support is very poor.

My 2012 vintage Nexus 4 was great but had to be replaced because, by 2017, its fastest wireless bands were no longer supported by U.S. carriers.

I bought a Pixel 2 in 2018. It had a defective camera module, causing a purple spot to appear on all photos. Google replaced it with what I found out later was a refurbished device. Although it had poor battery life from the time I got it, I kept it through the pandemic because I was working from home and could trickle charge it over the course of the day.

I replaced the Pixel 2 with a Pixel 7 in 2022. Yesterday my Pixel 7 began overheating and shutting down. I'm running no unusual apps. I don't play games. I wasn't doing anything unusual with my device or charging it with anything other than a Google-branded charger. After hours of back-and-forth with Google's support people on the subcontinent, I have been offered a refurbished Pixel 7, to be shipped to me within 10 business days after my current Pixel 7 is received and inspected.

Not good. Especially painful for me because I have a close relative who is an engineer at Google working on, among other things, the Pixel phones. I will be switching to an iPhone or, if I am feeling bold, a dumb phone.

EDIT: This rant about the Pixel 6 is entirely consistent with my experiences with the Pixel 2 and Pixel 7.

Last edited:

LucaJones

If you are looking for a vanilla android experience with systemwide eq and ample storage, the pixel 7 pro is an excellent choice. It offers a pure android interface and regular updates. Enjoy the freedom and customization with android.

Top Bottom