• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

tusing

Ooh. In decreasing order of preference, I'd love to see
  • JDS Element
  • SMSL IDEA to compare with Archimago's measurements
  • Chord Mojo, mainly because of the pretty RGB marbles
  • Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC, mainly because of how pretty it is in black
  • Some of Auralic's sexy gear: the wireless Polaris and Altair, mainly because of the pretty spherical knob

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about which one to measure next? Set the baseline. Measure the DAC in an iphone.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Archimago already has and certainly the later version 6? Measures extremely well.
Keith

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Archimago already has and certainly the later version 6? Measures extremely well.
Keith

This seems to be the practical answer for most people: tiny, batery-powered DACs built into consumer products, do fine...probably are not audibly distinguishable from audiophile DACs. So where does all that money go?

drconopoima

Forum Donor
1. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board but old analog board
2. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board and new analog board

It was fine to publish the Chord Hugo 2 first as a comparison point. My vote for publishing next an Yggdrasil comparative between old and new analog board, but if you prefer to go with independent reviews instead, first go with old analog board and later with new analog board.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have finished measuring the following DACs:

1. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board but old analog board
2. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC with Gen V USB board and new analog board
3. Berkeley Alpha DAC (original version)
4. Chord Hugo 2 DAC

I have to capture the graphs, add text, etc. so can't do all of them at once. Right now I am ready to go with #1 but if you all are anxious for others, I can put that aside and do the others.

Now that #4 has been posted, I vote #3. Thanks, @amirm!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
that PCM2704 you said you ordered! (but which isn't on your To Do List, I noticed)
Sorry, I added it to the Todo list. For now, I am trying to publish what I have already measured. I will get to that soon (stay on top of me until I do).

zephyros

Just joined the forums, I want to give my biggest thanks to amirm for the comprehensive measurements (which is rather hard to find among the buzzword marketing these day). I was pretty shocked to find the horrible measurements of Schiit stuff as they are favored in other forums, even more shocked to find Chinese manufacturer outclassed them in taking measurements seriously.
Back on topic, on the Chinese stuff I would love to see measurements of the Topping D50 next. If its measures similar to the DX7(s) (which trumps the already excellent D30), that would be a great end-game as a standalone non-balance DAC. Also, another Chinese manufacturer that seems to take proper measurements is Aune: http://en.auneaudio.com/ . It seems to me they are quite similar to Topping, albeit they have a wider offerings like DAP (which have horrible UI btw but supposedly sounds really good) or class A portable amps.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. You read my mind as I was pondering what to test next.

Aune is not on my radar right now. Which product of theirs do you recommend outside of DAPs?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. You read my mind as I was pondering what to test next.

Aune is not on my radar right now. Which product of theirs do you recommend outside of DAPs?
The S16 is a nice dac but it has been discontinued and replaced by the S6. The S16 is probably a bit better, but the S6 is said to have a better headphone amp section.

sonci99

I'd like to see a Benchmark against that Exasound, but I'm far away for any practical shipping..

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

PuX

Korg DS-DAC100 - can't find any measurements online, so I'm most curious about this one.
Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Centrance DacPort HD/Slim
JDSLabs EL DAC
Grace Design/Massdrop SDAC
Benchmark DAC1 (and later versions too)

and one more suggestion: create a standard set of charts that you include in all the reviews for easy comparison.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd like to see a Benchmark against that Exasound, but I'm far away for any practical shipping..
I am due to get one to evaluate but not until June when that member visits us.

Top Bottom