• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Korg DS-DAC100 - can't find any measurements online, so I'm most curious about this one.
Welcome to the forum! That is an interesting DAC in that it has balanced output. I don't think I have seen another $165 DAC with balanced out. Let me ponder if I am going to order it. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Audioquest Dragonfly Red
Centrance DacPort HD/Slim
JDSLabs EL DAC
Grace Design/Massdrop SDAC
Benchmark DAC1 (and later versions too)
I have the Dragonfly Black. I will be comparing it to two other "thumb drive" sized DACs.

Grace Design SDAC is also here/coming.

The rest, I am at the mercy of people loaning it to me for now. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
and one more suggestion: create a standard set of charts that you include in all the reviews for easy comparison.
I actually try to do that. It is just that the DACs with S/PDIF input allow me to run a lot more tests than USB-only one. Over time I will convert those tests to run through USB but for now, that is not possible.

PuX

Welcome to the forum! That is an interesting DAC in that it has balanced output. I don't think I have seen another $165 DAC with balanced out. Let me ponder if I am going to order it. :)
Thanks, your reviews are great!
I recently bought it for $135, the price keeps changing all the time. I could try to measure it with E-Mu 0404 USB (although it has individual volume levels for each input channel, which is probably not helpful for measuring purposes).

Rthomas

Forum Donor
somebody send this man an ADI-2 Pro or DAC!!

Let's see what a top pro audio company can do in 2018.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks, your reviews are great!
I recently bought it for $135, the price keeps changing all the time. I could try to measure it with E-Mu 0404 USB (although it has individual volume levels for each input channel, which is probably not helpful for measuring purposes).
Thanks. Unfortunately everyone wants it measured against others I have. Independent measurements make it hard to do so.

CurvedFruit

Can I suggest the Yamaha AG-03?

ManglerFi

I think comparing it to the Topping DX7 would be a good idea. Maybe the exasound or really whatever else you think would be a good comparison.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the
I think comparing it to the Topping DX7 would be a good idea. Maybe the exasound or really whatever else you think would be a good comparison.

Yes! And the DX7S too if possible. Exciting!

sonci99

It is coming up!!! I had to review the Korg which had been here for weeks first.

What do you want it compared to?
Also the designer John W says it can be much improved by an external linear power supply, so maybe you can measure that too..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also the designer John W says it can be much improved by an external linear power supply, so maybe you can measure that too..
Sure. Let me see if I can detect mains related issues with it...

ManglerFi

Sure. Let me see if I can detect mains related issues with it...

Yeah, forgot about this. He also says that the provided power supply shouldn't be used if powering with USB, something about earth ground loops issues I think. So maybe something on this point in the review would be good. I personally couldn't tell the difference with the provided PSU versus USB only.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom