• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Furio

This thing was coming up very good from a test in an italian h-fi magazine that I love: AudioReview.
It is probably too expensive for usual ranking, but it seems well built and designed.
I would be curious to see Amir's work on this beast

X-Sabre Pro from Matrix audio (1699 dollars...)
http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/137/index.html

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This thing was coming up very good from a test in an italian h-fi magazine that I love: AudioReview.
It is probably too expensive for usual ranking, but it seems well built and designed.
I would be curious to see Amir's work on this beast

X-Sabre Pro from Matrix audio (1699 dollars...)
http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/137/index.html
That seems like a nicely done unit. Alas, I will have to save my allowance for a year to buy one at that price. :)

How about you all contacting them and asking them to send one in for review?

gvl

Major Contributor
Who would be interested in buying that unit at $1,600 if it measures well?

I'd be open to pick one used at 1/2 the price :) They do come up on the used market every now and then.

gvl

Major Contributor
So even if i bought one at accomodation pricing, I would lose money selling it to you. :)

Nature of the hobby :) I was thinking they may loan you a test unit if they are confident it will perform well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nature of the hobby :) I was thinking they may loan you a test unit if they are confident it will perform well.
How about you all asking them to do that. It will have more power than me asking. :)

Bhargu

@amirm, did you get the delivery of Arcam rHead.

I was planning on getting this, looking at the reviews, even the InnerFidelity one. But, I came across a review that said it pulls back the lead vocals so that it stands should-to-shoulder with the accompanying instruments. I am wary of these types of reviews which claims a device does something previously unheard of. He might have just been using a different expression to explain sound stage.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, did you get the delivery of Arcam rHead.
Yes I did. I hope to review it soon. As to subjective comments in that review, I can tell you for sure there is no such thing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have read that CEntrance makes well designed DAC's. I think that they would be interesting to measure.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/centrance-dacportable

I reviewed it last year for AudioXpress. It measures really well as a DAC. For high impedance headphones, excellent, for lower impedance headphones good but limited. My only major complaints were that driving low impedance loads at the full levels they specified at the time caused the unit to shut down or fail and the driver caused both the AP and ARTA software to crash.

If you let me know which specific measurements you're interested in, I can post them.

DataX

Yes I did. I hope to review it soon. As to subjective comments in that review, I can tell you for sure there is no such thing.

@amirm, would you consider comparing the Arcam rHead to the Aune X7s when you do the review? They're both Class-A amps with fairly similar specs and pricing. I have seen people comparing them before and would be interested to see how they measure up.

Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, would you consider comparing the Arcam rHead to the Aune X7s when you do the review?
That's my current thought.

Veri

Master Contributor
Isn't that an ADC, the Audient you linked?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

hyperNov

I'd love to see the Chord Mojo measured- I use one currently and am considering getting a Hugo 2 for the additional filters (buying used to make it slightly more affordable). I live in Europe but could look into shipping it to you- or buy a used one off eBay to sell on afterwards?

It'd be nice to see if there's a difference as I've been pretty happy with the Mojo's performance so far (I use it with some JH Audio Layla 2 IEMs). I'd love to have a cheaper dedicated deskop dac/amp but travel around with work too much so having something like the Mojo, Hugo, iFi Micro BL that can be reasonably moved in a bag and placed on any desk is a big benefit. I'd consider getting in on some Massdrop separates to keep at home but fear they'd get almost no use.

So, a kind of portable/transportable showdown across the low-high end would, selfishly, be really interesting.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd love to see the Chord Mojo measured- I use one currently and am considering getting a Hugo 2 for the additional filters (buying used to make it slightly more affordable). I live in Europe but could look into shipping it to you- or buy a used one off eBay to sell on afterwards?
I like to test that. Alas, I can't find them hardly discounted on ebay. And with stories I hear of batteries going bad on them, I am hesitant to get one used.

Do you want to see how much it costs to send it here? I don't need any cables or original box. So it may fit in smaller, fixed sized boxes.

Top Bottom