• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Veri

Master Contributor
They are two DACs which i highly recommend:

1. Musical Fidelity M1 DAC II (asynchronous usb)
2. audiolab M-DAC+

Asynchronous usb DAC is super common nowadays though init :)

If you want them measured and think they sound great, perhaps consider sending in yours?

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
It is here! I will see if I can get it on the bench soon.
They manufacture states:

"There is 9 types of Sound color setting, not the digital filters, this feature using the DSP of ES9038Q2M to adjust the level of 2nd and 3rd distortion, make it sounds different.
There is 7 types of digital filter settings, set this will also change the sound color!"

It might be interesting to see what effects if any theses settings have during your testing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ever tested any of those Raspberry HAT? Allo Boss?
I have an Allo to test but am waiting for another bit from them. I tried but failed to test a Pi a while back.

Manbeard

I may have a NAD M51 available that I could send if there's interest in it being tested.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I may have a NAD M51 available that I could send if there's interest in it being tested.
Sure, it would be fascinating to test it Please send me a message if you get it and we can coordinate.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Something which isn't ESS based and is easily available in the US from retailers who will take it back if you don't like it, price under $500.

Manbeard

Sure, it would be fascinating to test it Please send me a message if you get it and we can coordinate.

Sure thing. I should know over the weekend if I can get it. I'll shoot you a message when I find out.

jaynyc

Forum Donor
would it not make sense to test an iPhone X with Apple’s Lightning—>1/8” analog output adapter?

that would be a useful comparison point right?

could even try comparing playback with your test signals from the Apple music player as well as Foobar iOS.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
would it not make sense to test an iPhone X with Apple’s Lightning—>1/8” analog output adapter?
Not to me. I am an Android guy. :)

I do have an adapter for a Google phone I need to test though. It is the same idea as above I think.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Baby Face Pro could be interesting to test if you manage to get one from somewhere: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface_pro.php
FWIW it is not better than the 10+ years old EMU 1616m (£350 at that time) in terms of analog loopback performance, but of course, Babyface Pro is a current product with solid driver support from RME while EMU is officially dead.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1100594-usb-interface-very-low-noise-floor.html
http://audio.rightmark.org/test/EMU1616m.htm
https://reviewzorro.com/review-test-rme-babyface-pro/

dc655321

Major Contributor

that would be a useful comparison point right?

could even try comparing playback with your test signals from the Apple music player as well as Foobar iOS.

That's been measured and reported on, I believe in several places.
Here is the first that came to mind.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The pre-iPhone X models actually have exceptional audio quality, there are a number of measurements on Ken Rockwell's website. The Apple Lightning adaptor is a step down but still measures ok.

Top Bottom