• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

D

Deleted member 47859

It's an issue with the whole personalization/authorization - flow, library, recommendations, etc.

morillon

Major Contributor
It's an issue with the whole personalization/authorization - flow, library, recommendations, etc.
(the "flow" not in flac in my case, but albums etc..in flac, simply choice from deezer (won't be surprising)? maybe that's just your problem, with flux radio etc via deezer, not quality flac.....(???) )
??
;-)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47859

It‘s in flac with LMS - so it‘s possible. The flow not being flac and with incorrect data is annoying but the main issue is the broken personalization for me. Since WiiM does not reply to my tickets (at least an acknowledgement would be nice) I‘ll stay with LMS.

morillon

Major Contributor
so if you have the solution, and sure that s really "flac", bitrate verified
i will watch this"lms"
thank you
;-)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looking at this WiiM post a month ago, it is clear they know what's going on.

Makes me more curious about today's Airplay2 "Bit Perfect" update!

1653475582629.png

Brantome

Major Contributor
…this damn amazon hd.. maybe they will be able to reinvest in deezer which remains one of the main providers for the general public, "not the audiophile population" tidal qoobuz etc
This “damn amazon HD” is why I and other users bought a WiiM Mini. Deezer may well be a main provider in your country, but it’s a relatively unknown bit player here in the U.K., where I’d guess the number of Spotify, Apple and Amazon Music users would dwarf Deezer. If you are talking audiophile use, then Qobuz would seem to be the platform of choice in my experience, perhaps along with Tidal. Amazon Music HD’s availability on such a relatively cheap device as the WiiM Mini could upset the apple cart (no pun intended), further pushing the peripheral services such as Deezer further into the background.

morillon

Major Contributor
you know personally I don't care about deezer (I don't use streaming much..)
seemed to me just one of the main players and catalogs on the market...

each one sees by his interest...
I understood how much wiim created the expectation around a possible amazon hd offer...
I just find that it monopolizes the discussion here in a somewhat pointless way...
there is no doubt that this is wiim's priority
and the support team seems very responsive...
but still not enough for some... :-0
;-)
(ps don't forget that my words can be clumsy because translated "automatically")

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Deezer is limited to 44.1kHz.

Why not just use Airplay of WiiM and just use you official Deezer app on an iPad? UI looks lovely.

This is the great thing about everything being 44.1kHz. Plenty of protocols support this sample rate and don't need to worry about auto sample rate switching !

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
I go through the wiim app even if modest and limited.. so no worries
it's just that, and known concern that deezee don't really manage for the moment, it's complicated to cast deezer en flac with their application...
it's not just amazon that poses problems of this type...
;-)

make no mistake about it.. it is above all a bit of weariness not to see this thread occupied at 80% by regrets of not having the promised "amazon hd" quickly enough which made me react..
while wiim seems to be clearly dedicated to it
"wait and see"
;-)))

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
it's not just amazon that poses problems of this type...
The Amazon problem is because UHD service offers music of multiple sample rates and the Amazon app on Desktop and iOS strangely outputs PCM192kHz always and Airplay doesn't support this.

Deezer is all only one sample rate - 44.1kHz, which Airplay supports right now already.

Completely different kinds of (first world) problems.

morillon

Major Contributor
then the problems were elsewhere .. but are there ... and well known ..
;-)
with the wiim application.. I finally have the flac without worries.. (just that poor in comparison to the deezer application known to be nice)
;-)
I promise.. I will wait for the wiim-amazon hd operation to be settled, without crying! , so that wiin devotes a little more to finely managing other streaming players!
;-)

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's obviously not bit perfect because the MQA file unfolded is 24/192 and Airplay 2 is at most 24/44.1

Yes that's why I replied above that it is not great news, to another post.

It's not a useful test for bit perfect.

Can you play a normal 44.1k file on Tidal (not MQA) and look at bitrate on your home network. Does your router feature a traffic analyzer ? It should be ~1.4mbps traffic

Witterings

This “damn amazon HD” is why I and other users bought a WiiM Mini. Deezer may well be a main provider in your country, but it’s a relatively unknown bit player here in the U.K., where I’d guess the number of Spotify, Apple and Amazon Music users would dwarf Deezer. If you are talking audiophile use, then Qobuz would seem to be the platform of choice in my experience, perhaps along with Tidal. Amazon Music HD’s availability on such a relatively cheap device as the WiiM Mini could upset the apple cart (no pun intended), further pushing the peripheral services such as Deezer further into the background.

I can't help but think Amazon themselves have missed a trick, the Echo Studio is their only device that plays Ultra HD but is also compatible with the likes of Spotify and Deezer to name a few.
Someone who's really concerned about Ultra HD isn't the sort of person that's going to buy one of those but more catering for people who want lifestyle size units with semi decent sound.
Granted you can take a phone and via the USB plug it in to get Ultra HD but in this day and age with BT etc. who really wants to be tied to a lead and faff of having to plug it it.

Why they don't strip the speakers out of the Studio and put in a 1/2 decent DAC for those that don't want to buy a seperate one and Optical out for those that want their own DAC / to take it to the next level and sell them for c£200/250.

That said they're probably more interested in the mass market who are more than happy with the CD quality the Echo Dot's offer with a line out than the 1% of Audiophiles.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Why they don't strip the speakers out of the Studio and put in a 1/2 decent DAC for those that don't want to buy a seperate one and Optical out for those that want their own DAC / to take it to the next level and sell them for c£200/250.
They did do that, well sort of with the Echo Link/Amp. Then crippled it by constraining its digital output to 24/48…
I’ve been waiting for at least two years for them to bring out a Gen2 Echo Link that gets round the shortcomings of the gen1

That said they're probably more interested in the mass market that the 1% of Audiophiles who are more than happy with the CD quality the Echo Dot's offer with a line out.
That’s just using the Dot’s very cheap DAC though and 3.5mm analogue output.

TBH, and I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, the WiiM Mini is what the next generation of the Dot should be I.e. an echo with a digital out that passes the unadultered bit perfect signal to a better DAC/Amp for those that want to fully exploit AMHD.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This is not great news - it is incomplete news.

Lossy mp3 and ogg vorbis and aac are 44.1kHz

Unfortunately this won't work as a test for Airplay 2 being bit perfect or not
Tested with the RME 16/44.1 test files. It is bit-perfect now.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Airplay depends on the source. Airplay 2 from iPad is still lossy.

Top Bottom