• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
It seems that Spotify will not offer lossless, as they said they would in 2021. We do not know when and if Spotify will come with lossless.This is Spotify's only public ,as far as I know, information about lossless:

For my own part. Of course many steaming suppliers now deliver lossless at about the same price (even lower) than Spotify Premium but I do not know if I hear any difference. I have tested, free trial on periods, Qobuz and Amazon Music. I did not get much wiser about it, the sound quality vs Spotify. Thus, for me, it is a matter of usability, UI, functionality. At those points, it was a clear knock out victory for Spotify.:D

By the way, the poll does not specify reasons why you keep Spotify or not. It does not have to be based on the lack of Spotify lossless in itself. The choice of vote may be based on something else.

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-06_09-22-31.png
    shot_2022-01-06_09-22-31.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 20220106_134042967.jpeg
    20220106_134042967.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Webninja

Forum Donor
I’ve had Spotify, Tidal, Apple, Google Music, Beats (before it was Apple), and probably a few more. None come close to Spotify for music discovery. Apple works with my ecosystem, but “my” generated stations it thinks I will like are mostly crap.

I’m currently on free Spotify and paid Apple.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The FLACs on these streaming services are pretty much terrible anyways. I heard plenty of 24/192 albums from qobuz sound worse than a Time Life CD. Instead of getting a 480p picture of dog shit like usual, your getting a 4K one, like the FLACs on these services, just a clearer view of shit. Your FLAC album, if your luckily came from a CD from 1986 or if your unluckily came from a $5 Walmart CD clearance bin from 2011 then was ripped with iTunes at the fastest speed. At the end of day, everybody has there choices and if they feel what's given is enough, then so be it.

Personally I like Spotify right now. Good library of music and the curated playlists are also good.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Spotify ticks more of my needs boxes than Qobuz as things are now. I'm waiting to see what Apple does with the old Primephonic.
But for now I'll stick with Spotify as I don't/can't hear the difference between 320 kbs and Red Book CD.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The FLACs on these streaming services are pretty much terrible anyways. I heard plenty of 24/192 albums from qobuz sound worse than a Time Life CD. Instead of getting a 480p picture of dog shit like usual, your getting a 4K one, like the FLACs on these services, just a clearer view of shit. Your FLAC album, if your luckily came from a CD from 1986 or if your unluckily came from a $5 Walmart CD clearance bin from 2011 then was ripped with iTunes at the fastest speed. At the end of day, everybody has there choices and if they feel what's given is enough, then so be it.

Personally I like Spotify right now. Good library of music and the curated playlists are also good.

I don't agree at all with that statement. I compared
tidal, Spotify, Apple music, Deezer and qobuz with each other and I prefer QOBUZ.

I compared my favourite Redbook CDs with the Qobuz version where there is only CD quality and it sounds the Same.

Spotify sounds the worst. Tidal is just a scam. I don't like the Deezer app.

And apple music does not work with other streaming apps (I'm using streammagic from Cambridge and had Roon for a while).

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I don't agree at all with that statement. I tried tidal, Spotify, Apple music, Deezer and qobuz with each other and I prefer QOBUZ.

I compared my favourite Redbook CDs with the Qobuz version where there is only CD quality and it sounds the Same.

Spotify sounds the worst. Tidal is just a scam. I don't like the Deezer app.

And apple music does not work with other streaming apps (I'm using streammagic from Cambridge and had Roon for a while).
Generally all streaming services share the same files unless there 24/44 & above. I will admit there is some CD FLAC albums that are identical to the actual CDs but it's pretty damn rare. Deezer is pretty good for synthwave & indie artists.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It seems that Spotify will not offer lossless, as they said they would in 2021. We do not know when and if Spotify will come with lossless.This is Spotify's only public ,as far as I know, information about lossless:

For my own part. Of course many steaming suppliers now deliver lossless at about the same price (even lower) than Spotify Premium but I do not know if I hear any difference. I have tested, free trial on periods, Qobuz and Amazon Music. I did not get much wiser about it, the sound quality vs Spotify. Thus, for me, it is a matter of usability, UI, functionality. At those points, it was a clear knock out victory for Spotify.:D

By the way, the poll does not specify reasons why you keep Spotify or not. It does not have to be based on the lack of Spotify lossless in itself. The choice of vote may be based on something else.
What is your basis for saying it won't happen?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
What is your basis for saying it won't happen?
I mean its a no brainer. Spotify doing early 2021 said there gonna do FLACs at the end of 2021 but now its the start of 2022.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I likely would have used Spotify hifi due to the library, ai and Spotify connect and ended my qobuz subscription. It looks like I’m sticking with qobuz now. The qobuz recommendations are just okay, i quite like the magazine style approach they take with the iOS apps. The snag for me is that qobuz integration with streamers sucks. I was using a upnp client to moode but like every option I have tried this can’t access detailed menus in qobuz. Because of this I use roon to get an acceptable interface. Roon is great, but I’m stunned that they went to the trouble of building their own custom ui framework and failed to fully implement all features in the iOS apps or have a Linux desktop client. It sucks to have to use a windows pc or Mac just to upload a convolution filter. Anyway, this is the state of streaming. Spotify hifi would annihilate the competition, but in its absence mediocrity is safe for now.

Edit: removed ‘overpriced’. Streaming is far too cheap really.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
None come close to Spotify for music discovery.
Regarding that. A little OT, this one is absolutely superb!

Colonel Bogey

Generally all streaming services share the same files unless there 24/44 & above. I will admit there is some CD FLAC albums that are identical to the actual CDs but it's pretty damn rare. Deezer is pretty good for synthwave & indie artists.
Is that so? I use the classical streaming service IDAGIO at (lossless) FLAC and it sounds CD to me. But i guess I would have a hard time to distinguish between CD and 320 Kbps MP3 in a blind test anyhow. Or maybe even 192 Kbps for that matter...

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I think I confused you all with my message above. I didn't mean there's no different between FLAC and 320kbps. I mean that the FLAC albums suffer from compression.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Top Bottom