• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wired/wireless headphone setup advice

yeveto0062

I'd like to add headphones into my Moon Neo Ace driven system in the loungeroom, and am basically trying to figure out whether to go wired/wireless or somewhere in between.
  • For headphones, I have a set of (wired) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros.
  • Armchair is around 3.5m (11.5 feet) from the Moon.
  • I like quality sound but don't pretend to be an audiophile.
  • Main audio source: Digital FLAC files on a NAS which is connected into the Moon via ethernet cable. BUT, I navigate/play through my laptop (using JRiver) which connects to Moon via Bluetooth.
  • Other audio sources: CD / Turntable (connected to Moon)

Options I'm considering:
  1. New/better wired headphones with an extension cable. (Probably best option in terms of sound, but I suspect the cable will annoy me)
  2. New wireless headphones (Am thinking something in the range of Sennheiser Momentum 4 to Focus Bathys)
  3. Continue using my DT770 with either an extension cable or bluetooth receiver to connect to Moon.

Question:
- If my main listening is through the digital source which requires my laptop's bluetooth connection to bring it all together - does this mean that I'm restricted to the limitations of bluetooth for all my digital listening (= no benefit in pursuing a wired option)? If so, then Option 2 seems a clear winner.

Team, please help set me straight here. Welcome your thoughts.

Oso Polar

Unfortunately, many laptops will only use SBC codec for Bluetooth. Which means your sound quality will be absolute trash no matter what. You can try alternate Bluetooth driver to improve things: https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/ Moon Neo Ace seems to be an expensive and capable device to waste its abilities in this manner, IMHO it'll be much better to use some other way of streaming music to it.

OP
Y

yeveto0062

Unfortunately, many laptops will only use SBC codec for Bluetooth. Which means your sound quality will be absolute trash no matter what. You can try alternate Bluetooth driver to improve things: https://www.bluetoothgoodies.com/a2dp/ Moon Neo Ace seems to be an expensive and capable device to waste its abilities in this manner, IMHO it'll be much better to use some other way of streaming music to it.
I'd welcome any suggestions around what streaming options (at least conceptually) might be better. Please and thank-you

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
I navigate/play through my laptop (using JRiver) which connects to Moon via Bluetooth.
This sounds like your laptop sends the audio over Bluetooth to the Moon. I advice to look for networked options. Wouldn't be surprised if the Moon is either UPnP compatible or comes with an app allowing the Moon to pull the audio from the NAS over the network.

Top Bottom