• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WTB: Remote for Topping DX7

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If anyone has a Topping DX7 and has no use for the remote, I would love to buy the remote control. I have the Topping DX7s and it does not come with a remote. I contacted Topping about buying a remote separately and they said there is no demand for it, so they discontinued it to keep the price low and may sell it separately later.

Thanks

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There are programmable remote controls available.

What remote functions do you need?

Volume? Input switching?

My TV remote can turn on/off my power hungry amplifiers, adjust the volume on the preamp, and turn on/off the HDRadio, as well as control the TV and Cable box.

Anything else I go to the gear or choose the proper remote from the dump.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Primarily volume and mute. I don't switch inputs too often and don't mind walking over for that.

OK, so stupid question - how do I program a universal remote to work with the DAC? Do I need a code from Topping?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Universal remotes - you aim it at the device, and step through the code sets it knows, and when it turns on/off the device, you might be lucky.

If not, Topping might tell you the codes, and you go from there.

---

Example - http://internet.frontier.com/resources/resources/how-to/program-a-universal-remote/

---

The remote that came with my cable box:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/program-your-remote/UR5U-8780L.html

Cheat Sheet:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/con...r/remote-guide-universal-UR5U-8780L-8790L.pdf

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Primarily volume and mute. I don't switch inputs too often and don't mind walking over for that.

OK, so stupid question - how do I program a universal remote to work with the DAC? Do I need a code from Topping?
You either need the code or have to put the universal programmer in "learning mode" which obviously requires having the unit.

Since I have the remote, I may be able to help with the later. Maybe I can buy the universal remote, program it and send it to you? The "hex" code can be captured and sent to people but I am not sure cheap universal programmers have this kind of programmability.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My miniDSP has remote capability, but no remote came with it.

It takes the opposite stance, and learns codes that the remote sends to it.

(I didn't send any code, it timed out)

upload_2018-2-8_12-19-43.png

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC is the only thing in the living room that needs a remote, so any suggestions for a good, simple, cheap universal remote? The Logitech Harmony would be major overkill.

@amirm Are you able to skip tracks and/or pause/resume with the DX7 remote when playing music with Roon via USB? That would be a very handy feature. There are usually one or two tracks in an album I'd rather not listen to.

EDIT: I've sent an email to Topping asking for the code.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You either need the code or have to put the universal programmer in "learning mode" which obviously requires having the unit.

Since I have the remote, I may be able to help with the later. Maybe I can buy the universal remote, program it and send it to you? The "hex" code can be captured and sent to people but I am not sure cheap universal programmers have this kind of programmability.

Thanks for the offer, Amir. Let me wait for Topping to get back to me on the code first. I will try it out on my Comcast cable remote (which is programmable) first and if that works, any universal remote should work I think.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received the hex codes from Topping. I've ordered this UR from Amazon. The manual has 4 digit integer codes like 0093 for a lot of equipment. Do I just convert the hex values below to integers, pad with zeroes and I am good? I feel so ancient, but the only universal remote I have used was a cool learning remote that came with a Yahama receiver I don't have anymore - you just point another remote at it, press the buttons and it had an IR receiver that would learn with the input signals. Pretty neat but you needed the source remote for this functionality.

RC_20_USER_CODE 0X8877

RC_1X_IR_HEADPHONE 0X04
RC_1X_IR_LINEOUT 0X40
RC_1X_IR_INPUT_L 0X47
RC_1X_IR_INPUT_R 0X15
RC_1X_IR_VOL_INC 0X46
RC_1X_IR_VOL_DEC 0X16
RC_1X_IR_MUTE 0X06
RC_1X_IR_POWER 0X18
RC_1X_IR_HEADPHONE_LINEOUT 0X55
RC_1X_IR_A 0X10
RC_1X_IR_DIS 0X14
RC_1X_IR_FIR 0X54

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Received the hex codes from Topping. I've ordered this UR from Amazon. The manual has 4 digit integer codes like 0093 for a lot of equipment. Do I just convert the hex values below to integers, pad with zeroes and I am good?
Unfortunately not. You need a programmable remote that connects to a computer, allowing you to send it those "hex" codecs. They are NOT the single number identifier as you see in that manual. You need a fancier remote with a USB/computer interface and software to download them like the logitech Harmony mentioned above.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately not. You need a programmable remote that connects to a computer, allowing you to send it those "hex" codecs. They are NOT the single number identifier as you see in that manual. You need a fancier remote with a USB/computer interface and software to download them like the logitech Harmony mentioned above.

Thanks. Ordered this one. They have an option for $100 extra for "With expert setup". Wonder if I should get that too :p

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad for not researching ahead of time, but I just made an assumption that the Logitech Harmony app would allow me to manually enter the hex codes, but it does not. Interestingly, the SMSL AD18 is already in their database.

@astr0b0y did you submit the codes to logitech already?

astr0b0y

My bad for not researching ahead of time, but I just made an assumption that the Logitech Harmony app would allow me to manually enter the hex codes, but it does not. Interestingly, the SMSL AD18 is already in their database.

@astr0b0y did you submit the codes to logitech already?
Nope! I forgot all about it. Will see what I can work out tonight and let you know.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just made an assumption that the Logitech Harmony app would

app = smartphone?

Did you check the desktop software?

Top Bottom