• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WXC-50 - how to bypass DAC??

Saffy

Hi, I want to by-pass the Yamaha DAC, and use an external DAC (which BTW has no volume control). Hoping that I could JUST use the pre-amp (volume) and streamer of the Yamaha - again, without its DAC.
I engaged the Player and Direct modes using Coax out, though un-listenable, as I cant attenuate the max 100% volume it puts out in that mode, with Toslink I get no sound in those modes - only the coax.

Please help tried everything in advance menu

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you switched the unit to pre-amp? Using the switch on the back. What DAC are you connecting to. Running what types of file formats?

SPOautos

Hi, I want to by-pass the Yamaha DAC, and use an external DAC (which BTW has no volume control). Hoping that I could JUST use the pre-amp (volume) and streamer of the Yamaha - again, without its DAC.
I engaged the Player and Direct modes using Coax out, though un-listenable, as I cant attenuate the max 100% volume it puts out in that mode, with Toslink I get no sound in those modes - only the coax.

I'm also curious what external DAC your using and if you have a/b'ed it against the Yamaha internal DAC? I've read the Yamaha has a good DAC.

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Gustard a-22 DAC, so no need for Yamaha DAC. How can I be sure the latter is bypassed?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Gustard a-22 DAC, so no need for Yamaha DAC. How can I be sure the latter is bypassed?
It sounds like you only want the WXC-50 as a streaming device. You won't want to use Preamp mode because that will use the internal DAC. Player mode requires the external device control the volume. You have a Gustard, and I read this: It supports high-quality digital volume adjustment and includes a remote control for easy adjustment of volume.

But you said you can't control the volume. If that's true I can only suggest you get an external amp so that you can. Otherwise you'll have to use Preamp mode simply to control the volume.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I want to by-pass the Yamaha DAC, and use an external DAC (which BTW has no volume control). Hoping that I could JUST use the pre-amp (volume) and stream. er of the Yamaha - again, without its DAC.

Im confused. If I connect a DAC to a streamer I would expect the streamer to send its input signal straight out the digital output. Are you saying the digital out is affected by the Yamaha volume control (ie will be output at a level higher or lower than its input)?

EDIT: I would expect the digital out of the Yamaha to be unaffected by the volume setting on the Yamaha, I would expect it to be passed through without attenuation, meaning your external DAC will be outputting at whatever its full signal strength is (likely 2v RCA or 4+V XLR) but that shouldnt be any higher signal into your amp than if you plugged DAC directly into PC/ phone/ TV as source.

What is at the other side of your "other" DAC? If power amps/ active speakers with no volume then yes. I can see your problem, but the solution has to be a pre amp.

Last edited:
OP
Saffy

Saffy

So pre-amp switched On for Yamaha volume control, and in menu toggled to Direct to by-pass the Yamaha DAC - correct?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
So pre-amp switched On for Yamaha volume control, and in menu toggled to Direct to by-pass the Yamaha DAC - correct?
Actually you’re right, you can use preamp Mode and direct ON in the advanced settings.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont know who you are answering . But I would guess so. But see my comment, what is your linked DAC feeding?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My DAC is feeding my amp

No idea then. Is the DAC into amp louder than if you connected the Yamaha to the amp by RCA and leaving it at full volume? Is the DAC louder when fed from Yamaha than if fed from another source?

SPOautos

Yes this is how I'm using the wxc-50 I just got and in the manual it says the Direct mode does not affect sound. I use this in conjunction with the preamp mode.

So if you think your dac is better than the wxc-50 dac then I'd probably go from dac to aux in then preout to the power amp. Then run it in preamp mode so you can control volume through the wxc-50 (by device knob, ph app, and remote) and use the direct sound mode that doesnt affect the sound. I believe the test on the forum indicates a good clean aux in/out. This is exactly how I run my turntable with my phono pre being where your dac would be.

Also if you feed the dac through the wxc-50 in has adjustments to increase/decrease the inputs so you can turn the aux input up or down to equalize the volume with other inputs....all its inputs have this adjustment.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you think of Gustard A22, it has a good dac and a good preamp section as well. You could sell the Yamaha and use another cheaper streamer maybe.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all!
Did you sort it? Get the volume on control on Yamaha to control digital output to a second DAC? (That was the question ,wasnt it?)

OP
Saffy

Saffy

Will test next week to confirm and report:
Actually you’re right, you can use preamp Mode and direct ON in the advanced settings.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will test next week to confirm and report:

And that reduces the output of the slaved (other) DAC does it? I only ask because in my experience with streamers is that the external DAC connected by optical/ Coax gets the original signal passed out to it, not affected by the volume control on the streamer of its own RCA/ XLR outputs that may be connected to an amp etc (the pre -amp section). This means I have to control the output of the second DAC via its own remote/ volume control

However, the Chromecast Audio (now discontinued) allows me to reduce the volume at the CCA end even if connected by optical cable to another DAC- probably not the right phrase, but "attenuating " the digital signal.

I prefer the second approach for convenience but I would be surprised if thats how Yamaha did it here

EDIT- Ive checked the Yamaha manual- "direct" just means the DSP/ equalisation functions are disabled. It doesnt relate to how the digital outputs function

OP
Saffy

Saffy

So how, or actually can I, use the Yamaha WITHOUT using its internal DAC?? It seems nobody knows, including myself.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So how, or actually can I, use the Yamaha WITHOUT using its internal DAC?? It seems nobody knows, including myself.

The minute you connect a second DAC you are using it without its DAC- but all you are using it for is to convert the ethernet/ wifi digital signal out to coax/optical digital out- and then use any app to navigate/ control various streaming services etc.

If you bypass the internal DAC nothing will come out of the RCA outputs as nothing is being converted

OP
Saffy

Saffy

The minute you connect a second DAC you are using it without its DAC- but all you are using it for is to convert the ethernet/ wifi digital signal out to coax/optical digital out- and then use any app to navigate/ control various streaming services etc.

If you bypass the internal DAC nothing will come out of the RCA outputs as nothing is being converted

#1 / So what you are saying, is that once I connect my external DAC to either of the Yamaha's digital outputs (Toslink / Coax), the original source signal (Tidal etc), will have completely by-passed the Yamaha's Internal DAC? And #2 / if so, that happens REGARDLESS of any other setting selection on the Yamaha?

Top Bottom