• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XMOS driver settings for no cutoff/delay

Noodles

I was contemplating on creating a "tutorial" of sorts for all XMOS drivers on devices that have a cutoff -- latency between the start of a sound and the dac "reacting" and actually playing said sound...
So here it is:

XMOS drivers use a control panel not unlike this:
1629135357546.png

Usually the "Options" menu which is the interesting part for our needs is not present. Please be aware that *some* manufacturers still opt in to lock out that menu completely regardless of what we are about to do and you will still be unable to show and use it.

So, first we need to find where this control panel is located. To find out where yours is, check the process in the task manager:
panel location.png

For SSL it is here (for others it will be in the directory where the USB driver was installed):
cpl location.png

To make this work, please exit/quit the XMOS driver control panel from the tray icon and make sure the xxxxAudioCpl.exe process is not running.

Afterwards open the marked XML file with your favorite text editor and we are greeted with something of this sort:
before xml.png

If this section is not present in your xml file, you will need to manually add it. Here is the xml sample for convenience:

XML:
<!-- ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ -->
    <PageOptions>
        <!-- Supported values for this page: Hidden (default), Visible  -->
        <Visibility>Hidden</Visibility>     
    </PageOptions>

With that XML section in place or it being absent your CPL will look like this (no Options):
before.png

We need to change from Hidden to Visible to make it so and Save the file:
after xml.png

After you save the xml file, please start your control panel from the exe above the xml (see cpl location.png ). If everything has gone correctly and your DAC manufacturer has not locked off the use of the Options menu, you will now see:
setting.png

The default is "on when needed", however if you want no latency between start song/video - dac playing said sound - you need to set it to "Always On"

This is by no means maliciousness on behalf of DAC manufacturers (except the ones that hide it despite the above efforts), but complete and utter incompetence or at the very least ignorance.

That's it! You now have a DAC that will not cut off start of songs unless you possibly update the driver and revert the change :)

@amirm if there is no other topic that discusses the matter, could you please pin this as i've seen quite a few complaints about this issue.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I get "Access is denied" although the CPL .exe is not running and I can't see anything relevant in Task Manager. I suppose I'll have fiddle with user permissions.

The XML ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<!-- Control Panel Configuration File

Currently supported Locales:
LCID="0x0407" -> German (Germany)

For documentation see TUSBAudio_UserManual.pdf, section "Control Panel Customization".
-->

So...(e.g.)...

<ComboBoxStreamingModeList>
<EntryOnWhenNeeded>
<Default>On when Needed</Default>
<Locale LCID="0x0407">Nur bei Bedarf eingeschaltet</Locale>
</EntryOnWhenNeeded>
<EntryAlwaysOn>
<Default>Always On</Default>
<Locale LCID="0x0407">Immer eingeschaltet</Locale>
</EntryAlwaysOn>

:) Because the XMOS USB from Thesycon, Germany.

I can't find the TUSBAudio_UserManual.pdf ... \

Some interesting stuff... clock source, USB streaming mode latency, ASIO buffer size...

OP
Noodles

Noodles

Usually the xml is read only so make sure you uncheck that before editing.

nsfgp

Great find and interesting info. D-6 users and more with clicking issues will benefit for sure.
Just FYI those with permission issues -> you probably have to remove read-only permission for the xml file plus open your editor (notepad for example) as administrator; then open the xml file and edit. Make a backup of the xml file before you edit of course.

Anyone able to find/link/share a copy of the "TUSBAudio_UserManual.pdf" file?? Appreciate it very much!!

Last edited:

yllanos

This workaround is valid for PC users only? I use a DAC with a Bluesound NODE and I'm having pop noises every now and then. Will the DAC maintain settings if I switch source?

Thanks

OP
Noodles

Noodles

This workaround is valid for PC users only? I use a DAC with a Bluesound NODE and I'm having pop noises every now and then. Will the DAC maintain settings if I switch source?

Thanks
It's a driver level option as the default option was altered on the firmware... i have not tried to alter the firmware itself to tweak this as not very many manufacturers even share firmware updates for user consumption.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Can anyone show what is in the clock source info? May give this a shot with the SMSL P0100.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was hoping that "Always On" would fix latency when playing a track that has a different sample rate than the track before, for example 44.1kHz vs 48kHz. Alas, no such luck.

nsfgp

Did you have the delay or switching gap issues on your Topping? My EX5 stutters a bit when bit rate or MQA resolutions change. Wondering if any if these settings will help?
I have E30 and DX3P+. Never had any issue with delay/gap/stuttering with any bit rate change/DSD-PCM change. No experience with MQA yet.
For me any of the settings in the Topping control panel makes no difference.

Axel

ggg.png

And what is the setting (on the screen above), which is called "ASIO Device"? If you select your DAC (check the box on the left), then what will it give?
P.S. if I listen to music in foobar through the asio plugin, nothing changes, although the next tab says that "ASIO active".

Top Bottom