• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your favorite build a speaker video?

stevef22

Hi, I find the physics of how speakers work really fascinating. However I lack the high maths skills to appreciate them on an objective level.

Watching videos, building and listening to speakers in real life actually has helped me tremendously on my audio journey.

Here is my favorite video. Build worlds 2nd best speaker.

What are your favorite "Build a speaker" or "Speaker Design" videos?

Thank you

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Those videos explain the sort of objective performance you want from a loudspeaker.

The Tech Ingredients video is aimed more at showing off some cool engineering principles, even though the end result is honestly middle of the road. Using a single full-range driver in a transmission line means the inter-modulation distortion is a bit high, the transient response a bit slow, and the radiation pattern narrows rapidly at high frequencies. None of which individually make the speaker sound bad, but it is possible to build something with none of those compromises.

OP
S

stevef22

Thanks Alex! Wow love the video with Floyd Toole. Such great info. I found his conclusion about speaker wire bias etc are right on. 90% of this indistry is snake oil.... in our own heads!

Thank you for sharing. Helps me with understanding objective performance as well.

Top Bottom