• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jay's Audio Lab and electral outlets

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's bonkers is he still states it's unbelievable that the amp manuf can't figure out a way to integrate what amounts to 2 different amp topologies in one box into a multi driver tower with only one set of speaker taps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be curious about just what sort of sound a 1.2 million system could get you.
Probably not better than what you can get for $20,000–with a huge chunk of that money going toward Revel Salon2’s (if you can still get them for $15,000 on closeout).

Last edited:

JimA84

Hi everyone, Jay has been posting on his youtube channel how his system changed (lost highs) when he had outlets from home depot installed. In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used? He said the home depot outlets warmed up his amps some models more than others. I don't have a good understanding of electricity but I know human minds. Is there any reality to changing outlets causing the sound of your system to change? I know power supplies are said to make a significant difference in sound.

thanks!

JH
Let's think about this in common sense.

I am an electrical engineer and I am amused at the meme of "premium" silver power cords.

You are connecting five feet of thousand dollar silver cable to a thousand miles of cheap aluminum unshielded transmission lines.

The power supplies of your equipment are designed to filter out this crap.

OTOH surge suppression is an issue most people are confused about.

Since their debut decades ago I have relied on Zero Surge equipment.

Most surge suppressors use sacrificial clamping diodes like a power line fuse in your amplifier.

Zero Surge uses a powerful inductor to reflect power surges back into the power grid instead of absorbing them.

It's like an impedance mirror that bounces transients back where they came from instead of trying to absorb them.

This is one case where power supply side equipment is worth the investment.

DWMB

Even Paul McGowan admits that power supplies on equipment filter out all the crap on electricity feed, which is why he doesn’t think much of power conditioners. Caveat: he then proceeds to wax lyrical about his power regenerators that he claims give the same power output no matter what time of day you play your system… Amir has dealt with his power regenerators! And my dealer decries PS Audio regenerators negatively affecting sound performance from powerful or power hungry amps.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Even Paul McGowan admits that power supplies on equipment filter out all the crap on electricity feed, which is why he doesn’t think much of power conditioners. Caveat: he then proceeds to wax lyrical about his power regenerators that he claims give the same power output no matter what time of day you play your system… Amir has dealt with his power regenerators! And my dealer decries PS Audio regenerators negatively affecting sound performance from powerful or power hungry amps.
He lies EVERY day in his videos.

tah800

Hey guys, Old Jay has a high end audio channel.There are guys out there who buy this kind of stuff and people like me who are curious to see what this gear looks like. I’m sure any of you, like me would like to hear some of this stuff. Isn’t that the fun of this hobby always striving for better sound. Tell me you guys don’t care to look at dream sport cars. I suppose you guys all enjoy the cheap audio man’s website, sure you do. As to how he gets the stuff who gives a rat’s ass. A year or so ago anyone who told me electrical would make a difference I might have considered a bit touched. So I upgraded to # 10 wire and audiophile receptacles. Quess what something changed. Now if I told you bigger sound stage or more clarity you would probably say great imagination but it wasn’t that. My speakers that never had much bass suddenly had a lot more. Thought my sub was on but it wasn’t. Got some buddies over and without saying a word they noticed the improved bass.Now maybe you can’t measure that but I sure as hell heard it. If you think about it receptacles cost about 85 cents a piece. These receptacles I bought had a lot more to them and actually took a good grip on the prongs of the plugs. Even hospitals don’t use cheap receptacles.Going to my first hi end show this summer. Going to listen to all the high end stuff I can. Quite certain I can’t run out and buy it but if it sounds a lot better than anything I have I will continue upgrading my own stuff. What’s the fun in this hobby if your ever really satisfied with what you’ve got. If that’s the case I’d give it up.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hey guys, Old Jay has a high end audio channel.There are guys out there who buy this kind of stuff and people like me who are curious to see what this gear looks like. I’m sure any of you, like me would like to hear some of this stuff. Isn’t that the fun of this hobby always striving for better sound. Tell me you guys don’t care to look at dream sport cars. I suppose you guys all enjoy the cheap audio man’s website, sure you do. As to how he gets the stuff who gives a rat’s ass. A year or so ago anyone who told me electrical would make a difference I might have considered a bit touched. So I upgraded to # 10 wire and audiophile receptacles. Quess what something changed. Now if I told you bigger sound stage or more clarity you would probably say great imagination but it wasn’t that. My speakers that never had much bass suddenly had a lot more. Thought my sub was on but it wasn’t. Got some buddies over and without saying a word they noticed the improved bass.Now maybe you can’t measure that but I sure as hell heard it. If you think about it receptacles cost about 85 cents a piece. These receptacles I bought had a lot more to them and actually took a good grip on the prongs of the plugs. Even hospitals don’t use cheap receptacles.Going to my first hi end show this summer. Going to listen to all the high end stuff I can. Quite certain I can’t run out and buy it but if it sounds a lot better than anything I have I will continue upgrading my own stuff. What’s the fun in this hobby if your ever really satisfied with what you’ve got. If that’s the case I’d give it up.
You are definitely Jay’s target audience, and every other Utube influencer’s.
Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even hospitals don’t use cheap receptacles.
Do you think that is because with them the MRI machine gives a clearer image?
Going to my first hi end show this summer. Going to listen to all the high end stuff I can. Quite certain I can’t run out and buy it but if it sounds a lot better than anything I have I will continue upgrading my own stuff. What’s the fun in this hobby if your ever really satisfied with what you’ve got. If that’s the case I’d give it up.
Good luck with your random goose chase.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Isn’t that the fun of this hobby always striving for better sound.

That's what people aways claim to begin with. But once you show them how much their gear performs like crap, they move the goalposts. Then it's no longer about performance, but all about the crappiness being enjoyable for one reason or another. And if you show them that an "improvement" has absolutely no chance of doing anything audible, other than what you get through perceptual bias, it gets even worse. No goalpost moving, just straight up denial.

The hobby is about a lot of things. Most of the fun comes from dicking around and experiencing things, whether they be real or not.

Actual performance, more often than not, takes a back seat.

A year or so ago anyone who told me electrical would make a difference I might have considered a bit touched. So I upgraded to # 10 wire and audiophile receptacles. Quess what something changed. Now if I told you bigger sound stage or more clarity you would probably say great imagination but it wasn’t that. My speakers that never had much bass suddenly had a lot more. Thought my sub was on but it wasn’t. Got some buddies over and without saying a word they noticed the improved bass.Now maybe you can’t measure that but I sure as hell heard it.

Suspect #1: Expectation bias. You didn't say anything to your buddy, but your body language showed excitement, and through the Clever Hans effect his mind jumped to one of the things that people automatically find exciting; bass.

Suspect #2: While doing the upgrade, you inadvertently moved something in the room and changed the boundary reinforcement of the speakers. You actually did get more bass at the listening position, but it had nothing to do with the wire or receptacles.

The wire and receptacles aren't even suspects. They were nowhere near the crime scene and have a bulletproof alibi.

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To a limited extent, I used to be one of the guys "who buy this kind of stuff." I have heard stuff made by all of the bigger-name high-end audio manufacturers.

I'm no longer curious.

High-end audio systems have more in common with high-end handbags than they do with high-end sports cars.

I wish you well.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I’m sure any of you, like me would like to hear some of this stuff. ... I suppose you guys all enjoy the cheap audio man’s website, sure you do.

So much confident ignorance. I don't think you're at the right place.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonka.jpg

DWMB

There is no better sound once you've got an amp that measures well. Amplification is a solved problem.

Tell Jay to stop sending his cultists here.
Totally agree. Getting a proper amp is quintessential and what is needed for quality sound performance, not fiddling with dinky toys that make no material difference.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Totally agree. Getting a proper amp is quintessential and what is needed for quality sound performance, not fiddling with dinky toys that make no material difference.
But I feel like you don't agree based on your longer post.

Soria Moria

Good luck chasing your tail in the relentless search for “the next best thing”, with audiophile nervosa, and becoming bankrupt in the process.
The never ending audiophool loop:
1. Get bad speakers or put them in an improper room
2. Think the bad sound is a result of the amplifier, DAC, cables or whatever
3. Buy an uncessary tweak or new DAC and talk about how the bass got faster, vocals clearer and the soundstage widened etc.
4. New shiny toy effect wears off and you go on your next search to fix what's lacking in your system without just GETTING GOOD MEASURING SPEAKERS + A GOOD ROOM + EQ!!

Andysu

Major Contributor
what is wrong with this , seats are all at the same level , i need not say rest of the words lol audiophile lol

egellings

Major Contributor
...and I bet that for you, music is but a test signal for the equipment.

Top Bottom